The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teddy Blueger | #53 | C

-AJ-

Some info of note:

- TOI suggests he's a 3/4 C, but probably closer to a #4

- Point production was low last year, on pace for 21 points. Typically, he scores at a 25-35 point rate--more becoming of a 3C.

- Reasonably strong at face-offs at 52.0% last year and 53.1% the prior year

- Average height and weight

- Somewhat unimpressive +/- in both Vegas and Pittsburgh last year

- Blocks quite a few shots for a forward

- Poor giveaway/takeaway metrics

- Extraordinarily low OzS% at 24.1%--this has been around average for his entire career. Extremely defensively oriented.

- Received a single 4th place Selke vote in 2019-20

- Draws about as many penalties as he takes

- Outstanding PK results with Pittsburgh--the top PK forward on their team

- Almost no PP time

- CORSI is amazingly high given his low OzS%

- Career 1 for 1 in the shootout

I feel like Blueger could be longer term re-sign if we do well and he performs like he has in the past. Would solve so many of our defensive issues.

• Thanks 3

• -AJ- changed the title to Teddy Blueger | #53 | C

Really hoping we don't have another Dickinson incident on our hands, Blueger is a perennial 4C, he's never really played 13-15 minutes consistently but hopefully he's ready for the challenge. The way I see it, we just have a better faceoff/defensive guy than Dries but the checking 3C role is a hard one.

Again, at a 1 year deal I think he's a place-holder for Raty really, hopefully in 12 months time we're talking about Raty taking the 3C role but if not, there's a bunch of good UFAs next year who can slot in as well if Blueger doesn't perform. If he does I'd be all for signing him to a decent lengthy deal. Let's just hope he's still solid at killing penalties. He was great as a depth player for Vegas last year.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really hoping we don't have another Dickinson incident on our hands, Blueger is a perennial 4C, he's never really played 13-15 minutes consistently but hopefully he's ready for the challenge. The way I see it, we just have a better faceoff/defensive guy than Dries but the checking 3C role is a hard one.

Again, at a 1 year deal I think he's a place-holder for Raty really, hopefully in 12 months time we're talking about Raty taking the 3C role but if not, there's a bunch of good UFAs next year who can slot in as well if Blueger doesn't perform. If he does I'd be all for signing him to a decent lengthy deal. Let's just hope he's still solid at killing penalties. He was great as a depth player for Vegas last year.

PBSD

image.gif.9bfcd397b1665e0970ca71d5e66d890b.gif

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I see Blueger as a elite 4C. I'd rather try Joshua at 3C and see if he can make that work. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I see Blueger as a elite 4C. I'd rather try Joshua at 3C and see if he can make that work. 

Yeah a very good 4C, one of the best in the league. Allvin seems to love the buy-low option and thrust them into higher positions and see what happens. It didn't work for a lot of guys (Bear, Studnicka), it worked well for Schenn, didn't work too well for Dermott but mainly due to injuries. It really didn't work for Dickinson.

Now he's trying it with Cole and Soucy too. Cole averaged 19 minutes last year, I think he'll average around the same on the right next year alongside Hughes but in a slightly more important role and top penalty killer. Soucy was a 16 minute bottom pairing guy last year who is going to be expected to be our 2nd best LD and surely then have to log around 20 minutes a night. That's a big ask for him. He might be up to the task, he might not be. Hronek isn't as good as Hughes - he can't carry a pairing by himself, so it's a big question mark.

Then there's Blueger who has basically been a top 4C in the league for a long time (a bit like Kampf who was my go-to guy this off-season). If we can run with two very good 4Cs, that's not too much of an issue. Plus, we have such great winger depth, our 3rd line wingers will be able to help carry some offence he doesn't provide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 2:04 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is what I worry about. However he's only on a one year deal. So I guess we will see.

On 7/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, Ted Lasso said:

Happy with this signing, but hoping we find room for Pius Suter, and bump Blueger down to 4C. 

Suter has more potential to backfill the top 6 in case of injuries, and injects more offence into the bottom six.

Is Suter not signed yet?

10 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Is Suter not signed yet?

No, he’s one of the remaining free agents.  Here’s part of a recent Athletic Mailbag article about him:

You and Drance were banging the drum for Pius Suter before free agency started. Yet it seems no NHL teams see what you saw. What do you think was the gap in your evaluation? — Vy T.

There are a few factors to consider.

For starters, just because a player hasn’t been signed yet doesn’t mean teams perceive them as lacking NHL value. Matt Dumba, Tomas Tatar and Nick Ritchie are still on the market and all of them are useful players. Evan Rodrigues is an example of a player who ended up being a mid-September signing last year despite being a really handy middle-six player.

Often when a player is holding out, it’s because there’s a significant gap between how much the player believes he should be paid and how much teams are actually offering. It’s understandable why Suter might be in that boat.

Suter had 15 goals and 36 points in 2021-22 and 27 points in 55 games (a 40-point pace) during the shortened 2020-21 season, but is coming off a down year where he notched just 24 points in 79 games (although 14 of them were goals). Suter probably wants to be paid according to his overall body of work which suggests he’s a top-nine player. You have to remember that Suter’s coming off $3.25 million AAV from the last time he hit free agency — he probably doesn’t want to concede too much on salary. Teams, meanwhile, could be making offers based on his significantly lower production from last year, especially since he only has three total seasons of NHL experience.

There’s also probably a gap between how we viewed his defensive value compared to some teams. From our perspective, his defensive metrics looked solid and Detroit trusted him as a regular penalty killer, but Suter doesn’t have the prototypical size of a checking pivot (he’s listed at 5-foot-11 and 174 pounds) so it’s easy to see how teams might not see a lot of defensive value.

• Like 1