The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA announces In-Season Tournament (Nov-Dec 2023): Could this work in the NHL?

Rate this topic

Do you think an in-season tournament could work in the NHL?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's say for a minute. They started a two week, one game elimination like the Final 4 with all 32 teams. Let's say the Final is New York Rangers vs. Vancouver Canucks.

And 10 minutes into the first period. A player on New York gives Petey a cheap shot and knee on knee. Petey goes down. At the time the League stopped Vancouver was in a playoff spot. Petey's doctors tell him he needs six months recovery. The Canucks not only lose a mean nothing tournament. But they lose a key player, and probably miss the playoffs.

Now tell me how this helps the NHL? The players? Etc. Players are already turning down the All-Star Game and WHC. The league can't even put together the World Cup of Hockey without screwing it up. The owners won't want to lose games and gate revenue. Sorry I don't see this would work.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The WBC also had randomized divisions this year.  Some of the team rosters were also HEAVILY American.  Eligibility was all over the place.  Look at Italy or Israel's rosters - even Mexico!  Nothing wrong with this - but national pride ringed truer for a Korea-Japan game than an Italy-Israel game.

What it did do is create some very entertaining games across the tournament, regardless of what the roster makeup consisted of.  People who don't even watch baseball tuned in to watch because of how fun it was.

The differences is these are just regular NBA games, that we’ve seen before. There’s nothing special about it, unlike the WBC, where we have country vs country.

The WBC also covers insurance for their players. Whereas if someone were to get injured in this tournament, it’s not covered by the NBA. 

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

So, what’s the purpose of this tournament? Do these games count toward the regular season standing?

Seems stupid and pointless. Just imagine Jokic getting injured with a ACL tear, in this tournament and he’s out for the rest of the season.

This is nothing like the Olympics, because that actually means something to players.

How is that any different from getting hurt in a regular season or preseason game? 

no this wouldn't work and it's not like soccer FA cup Champions league etc etc.. FA cup Champions league etc all includes team from different leagues.. FA cup includes the division 2 teams etc and champions league includes team from other league.. equivalent in the NHL would be FA cup we'll have the AHL teams competing with the NHL teams.. and champions league would be like competing against teams from KHL SHL etc..

59 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s also the most popular sport in the world, maybe the NHL could take some notes… 

it's most popular sport in the world because it's also the most accessible sport in the world.. literally all you require to play soccer is a ball.. kids in south american countries can play bare feet.. 

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

The differences is these are just regular NBA games, that we’ve seen before. There’s nothing special about it, unlike the WBC, where we have country vs country.

The WBC also covers insurance for their players. Whereas if someone were to get injured in this tournament, it’s not covered by the NBA. 

There's no way it's uninsured.  How could the NBA/NBPA let that happen?

The WBC does have the novelty of international gameplay, for sure.  But I feel like the atmosphere and the team narratives make it such a spectacle.  If NBA organizations, players and fanbases take this tournament seriously the way Japan does with the WBC, this will become a gradual success.  If the whole thing gets treated like... the Summer League or the Spengler Cup, this isn't going to go well.

• Cheers 1

There's a reason that MLB's All Star game might not be as popular as it once was. But it's still popular. Because Baseball is not a contact sport. And it's more endurance and stamina than anything else. The NHL All-Star game and Pro Bowl in the NFL is pretty lame because there's no emotion and they ease up on contact. That's why in the NHL All Star games they light up the scoreboard. Because no one wants to get hurt. I'd rather see a mid-season break than an All Star Game. It's not like the 80's where you got what maybe 2-3 games on TV a week if you were lucky? With cable you get to see all the teams you want to watch pretty much.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's a reason that MLB's All Star game might not be as popular as it once was. But it's still popular. Because Baseball is not a contact sport. And it's more endurance and stamina than anything else. The NHL All-Star game and Pro Bowl in the NFL is pretty lame because there's no emotion and they ease up on contact. That's why in the NHL All Star games they light up the scoreboard. Because no one wants to get hurt. I'd rather see a mid-season break than an All Star Game. It's not like the 80's where you got what maybe 2-3 games on TV a week if you were lucky? With cable you get to see all the teams you want to watch pretty much.

A mid-season break is a very player-friendly option.  So you know it'll never happen.  The league wants to make money.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s also the most popular sport in the world, maybe the NHL could take some notes… 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In terms of FIFA it's also one of the most corrupt. Could take some notes on that too...

Basketball and soccer have grown massively because of accessibility, but this is more a question of how the sport's primary governing body controls how the game gets changed.  FIFA is distinct because literally everything soccer is FIFA regulated.  Your... kid league ball is FIFA regulated.   Your shin guards at SportChek are FIFA regulated.  The NBA and the NHL are simply the top leagues of their respective sports, so any changes don't necessarily transform the sport - just the league product.

Which brings us back to the in-season tournament.  These NBA changes have happened because Adam Silver is a pretty progressive commissioner, especially compared to other officials like Manfred(MLB),  Goodell(NFL), and of course Bettman(NHL).  Not sure how long Bettman has left being on charge, but under his watch the league has definitely undergone some major structural changes.  If he thinks there's good money to made from this, the owners will watch closely how the NBA handles it.  Hell, some of these NHL owners also own NBA/MLB teams!

So this is just regular season games that are happening anyway that are reclassified as a tournament while they are happening almost after the fact.  I think it's a good way to get ratings up for those individual games but serves no other purpose and it may do more harm than good by diluting the playoffs and whatnot.

I think the NHL is already doing what it can with the outdoor games...and even those are being overdone.  The NHL just has to stop with gimmicks and actually try to scale them back.  But then again I'm not the TikTok viewer with a mosquito's attention span.  That's just how I see things.

If the NHL actually has the energy or time or initiative for extra tournaments...then quit screwing around and have either the Olympics or a proper World Cup.

But as for just hand picking some games that are happening in the season anyway and nominally calling them a tournament...it wouldn't really do much or me personally.

11 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

There's no way it's uninsured.  How could the NBA/NBPA let that happen?

The WBC does have the novelty of international gameplay, for sure.  But I feel like the atmosphere and the team narratives make it such a spectacle.  If NBA organizations, players and fanbases take this tournament seriously the way Japan does with the WBC, this will become a gradual success.  If the whole thing gets treated like... the Summer League or the Spengler Cup, this isn't going to go well.

Why would they insure players, playing a regular season game? Klay Thompson never got insured when he missed the entire 2020 season. In matter of fact, he actually signed an extension with the Warriors. Same with KD.

The NBA only insure a player if it’s a career ending injury.

Seems like this is just a feeler from Silver to see if Vegas is a good city for an expansion team.

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Let's say for a minute. They started a two week, one game elimination like the Final 4 with all 32 teams. Let's say the Final is New York Rangers vs. Vancouver Canucks.

And 10 minutes into the first period. A player on New York gives Petey a cheap shot and knee on knee. Petey goes down. At the time the League stopped Vancouver was in a playoff spot. Petey's doctors tell him he needs six months recovery. The Canucks not only lose a mean nothing tournament. But they lose a key player, and probably miss the playoffs.

Now tell me how this helps the NHL? The players? Etc. Players are already turning down the All-Star Game and WHC. The league can't even put together the World Cup of Hockey without screwing it up. The owners won't want to lose games and gate revenue. Sorry I don't see this would work.

If you watched the video, assuming the same format, these games would count towards the team's regular season record. Anything you said in that scenario could happen in any of the 82 game schedule...