The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Zach Benson

40 minutes ago, Devron said:

Could go either way. People talk like this guys a for sure thing. He’s definitely hit or miss with that size 

He looked terrific in scrimmage at his development camp. Let's see how that looks when's he's on NHL ice.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I will be watching this kid in his career.  I made some pretty bold statements about  who he was and what  he would mean to this team vs how we had nobody to insulate him or help him elevate his game to the player everyone claimed he could be and as such would be a bad pick for us and a top or or bust kind of guy.

I love being proven wrong so let's hope this kid can do something with the shot he's been given.  Buffalo has the players this kid would need to help elevate his game and insulate him in to being what people claim he'll turn in to.  But time will tell.

Wish @SabreFan1 was still here (if I got the tag right) because I loved having him around to talk about our brother team in expansion

I agree that the Sabres are likely the best team for him to play on.  They are a rising, young team that have a

variety of talented players that will support him well.  At the very least, he will be similar to Caulfield, but I think

he will likely be much better.

It will take much longer for Canuck fans to see what Willander will do in the NHL.  If he can develop to his

full potential, he will have an impressive career.

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I will be watching this kid in his career.  I made some pretty bold statements about  who he was and what  he would mean to this team vs how we had nobody to insulate him or help him elevate his game to the player everyone claimed he could be and as such would be a bad pick for us and a top or or bust kind of guy.

I love being proven wrong so let's hope this kid can do something with the shot he's been given.  Buffalo has the players this kid would need to help elevate his game and insulate him in to being what people claim he'll turn in to.  But time will tell.

Wish @SabreFan1 was still here (if I got the tag right) because I loved having him around to talk about our brother team in expansion

They were a valued member and it's a crying shame a few bad apples drove them off of CDC...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Can see this kid making PA+Rutherford, plus all the others that passed on him, look really stupid. 

He's gonna be some talent.

PA + JR would have looked really stupid passing on the most coveted position in the game (RHD) in order to draft an undersized winger, a position we have an abundance of. 

• Cheers 2

This kid could turn out to be an upgraded version of Cole Caufield.

But lets look at the Canucks' needs at this time - would you rather have an upgraded Caulfield or Willander who has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman, or at the very least, a steady, but not too flashy defenseman who can eat minutes...say someone like Chris Tanev?  

Having another potential Tanev definitely doesn't sound as exciting as a potentially top talented winger in Benson, but we have enough those.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

Can see this kid making PA+Rutherford, plus all the others that passed on him, look really stupid. 

He's gonna be some talent.

On the right team. Canucks are too smallish to add another small player.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He looked terrific in scrimmage at his development camp. Let's see how that looks when's he's on NHL ice.

He did yes. He’s an interesting player. We’ll see how it goes. I just know from past experience not to get super high on a player like that 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't take anything from scrimmage.  It's just drills at half speed.

When he's up against adam fox or some bruising 4th liner has him dead to rights in a corner in a playoff hunt that's when the rubber will meet the road.

Sabres definitely have some promising players and I for one am totally not envious at how many top picks they've had or 1st OA they've spent on D in the last 5 years

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Thompson and Benson on a line would be something.  

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Remember who looked terrific in pre-season? Hunter Shinkaruk...

Shinkaruk also then had hip surgery and lost almost a full season of development plus never regained full mobility which he relied on for his shifty play style.

• Like 1