The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, aqua59 said:

That's a lot of moving parts. I'm liking the rise in three way trades. 

How much better does San Jose get and how will it affect Vancouver?

The Sharks got purposefully worse. They were bad with EK. Now they are terrible. Only the Habs might be a worse club. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah but the two M&M in Laffland have been creampuffs in the post-season.  Crosby & Malkin might be really long in the tooth at this point, but they're winners (in the past).  That said, seems like the Pens are going to have some pretty lean years when those two go to the glue factory.

That's probably Pittsburgh's only hope. That everyone is healthy at playoff time. I will laugh if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t it amazing how the NHLs favourite teams always manage to free up cap space when they need to? :picard:

Not really. What's more surprising is how poor we are at doing it. 

Very creative in this trade though with Montreal basically coming in to take some salary on for a second rounder, some defensive familiar veteran leadership, and a backup goalie. San Jose gets 3 veteran players to help during the rebuild and their salary comes off the books 2 years sooner than Karlsson. Not much retention either. They also get a first rounder.

I wish we were better at this type of stuff.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Very creative in this trade though with Montreal basically coming in to take some salary on for a second rounder, some defensive familiar veteran leadership, and a backup goalie. San Jose gets 3 veteran players to help during the rebuild and their salary comes off the books 2 years sooner than Karlsson. No retention either. They also get a first rounder.

Probably because Allvin request all players coming back must be from Sweden so that makes it pretty challenging 

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Very creative in this trade though with Montreal basically coming in to take some salary on for a second rounder, some defensive familiar veteran leadership, and a backup goalie. San Jose gets 3 veteran players to help during the rebuild and their salary comes off the books 2 years sooner than Karlsson. No retention either. They also get a first rounder.

SJ did retain $1.5m

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You mean like the Benning OEL trade? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of teams with competent management can’t even move 2 million in cap space.

A team that is over the cap and has limited assets somehow moved 11 mil in cap? 

lol so are you saying the whole league is fixed sand they orchestrated this trade for the Penguins? :picard:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

San Jose definitely did not win.

They got a first round pick for a Norris winning defenseman when their starting price was three 1sts. :lol:

You’re telling me they couldn’t have gotten Pickering or Blomqvist from them? 

This move just ensures San Jose’s rebuild is gonna take even longer which I’m good with.

Well no, otherwise they would have. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Penguins kind of have no choice but to go all in as long as Crosby and Malkin are still around. They are Canucks 2.0 when we had the Sedins here.

Sooo... EK four years .. versus LE?   Yikes too bad for us!