The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He's alive and well on these boards living rent free in people's heads and in every single thread. ;)

No doubt hey. I never understand why people dwell on GM's. He made some horrible moves. That was two years ago though and his influence is over.

• Cheers 1

• Also speaking to Grier about the Karlsson trade, Greg Wyshynski of ESPN reports there were actually two other teams down to the wire in the trade negotiations. For weeks now, all signs had pointed to Pittsburgh as the eventual landing spot for Karlsson, with the Hurricanes, Seattle Kraken, and Toronto Maple Leafs having noted interest as well. Grier would not indicate which teams specifically, but it is an interesting factoid at the very least.

interesting…wonder which two teams, and how that mat impact the market for dmen going forward…

3 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Doesn’t matter if the return is Labanc. I’d be interested in Rutta and Sturm, though. 

If their goal is Celebrini (which seems obvious) they may be open to a trade.

Labanc far worse than all of our RWs.  I think SJ should buy him out, if they can.  They save 3.9m this season

and then pay -2m next (when the have +++ salary cap).

Canucks send a much better FW in Beau + 4th round pick for Sturm (2mx2).

• Cheers 2

Just now, higgyfan said:

Labanc far worse than all of our RWs.  I think SJ should buy him out, if they can.  They save 3.9m this season

and then pay -2m next (when the have +++ salary cap).

Canucks send a much better FW in Beau + 4th round pick for Sturm (2mx2).

Auction GIF

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's an absolute idiot.  The reason you want someone in charge who has played the game is so they understand what the hockey people are telling him.  He keeps bringing in defencemen who can't play defence, fired a coach who wanted to force his overpaid floaters to start putting in an acceptable effort, and insisted on keeping all of those floaters even after it became clear that none of them care about winning.  He then proceeded to whine about the sacrifices needed to do the GM job while wondering why the players don't put in the effort needed to succeed in the playoffs, all while being insubordinate to his boss who actually does understand the sport.

Dubas is simply not qualified to work in any job in hockey ops beyond possibly getting the coffee under adult supervision.  He is exhibit A as to why you don't let an analytics dweeb with zero understanding of the sport make hockey decisions.

Well that's just your opinion on Dubas which sounds quite biased to me. The facts listed before just speaks for itself. The league also thinks highly of Dubas as well Leafs wanted to re-sign him. Penguins snatches him up right after. To me when he was Leafs GM he seemed to be making smart moves every season. 

And, of course having played hockey is a huge plus to being successful in managing a team. But not a must, which was the point lol. 

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No doubt hey. I never understand why people dwell on GM's. He made some horrible moves. That was two years ago though and his influence is over.

Yep ... agree. Eight years was enough.

Every thread descends into a bottomless pit of Benning. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not at the expense of your brands reputation. That's horrible business sense to blatantly cheat your customers for pure fraud when you already have a very successful product.

Who cares when the average American fan just wants to be entertained?

The product is successful because it’s managed that way. Certain markets are kept strong for a reason. That equals bigger advertising dollars and television deals.

Honestly I’m envious if you still believe the NHL isn’t a corrupt league. Hold onto that for as long as you can. I’ve seen too much and lived through too much to believe in the farce.

I still watch because I love my team and want to be entertained but I know the ice will always be tilted in this league.

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well that's just your opinion on Dubas which sounds quite biased to me. The facts listed before just speaks for itself. The league also thinks highly of Dubas as well Leafs wanted to re-sign him. Penguins snatches him up right after. To me when he was Leafs GM he seemed to be making smart moves every season. 

And, of course having played hockey is a huge plus to being successful in managing a team. But not a must, which was the point lol. 

Which moves did Dubas make that you think were actually smart?  Most of what I saw wwas him systematically sabotaging the team with his incompetence.

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Which moves did Dubas make that you think were actually smart?  Most of what I saw wwas him systematically sabotaging the team with his incompetence.

Signing TJ Brodie: top 4 defensive D-man

Acquiring/extending Giordano: dirt cheap top 4 two-way D-man

Acquiring/extending Zach Hyman: gave up practically nothing and extended for dirt cheap

Drafting and developing: 60% of his 35 draft picks have been signed to NHL contracts

Nothing makes you sound dumber than when you start talking about Kyle Dubas.  You just keep copy-pasting the same phrases over and over again.