The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which player is the greatest disappointment in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

[DEBATE] Which player is the greatest disappointment in Vancouver Canucks history?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Puh-leeze, to say he is under contract is a reach, this guy is done like dinner. He's a 29 year old call-up from the "A"...a gross under achiever, who will turn 30 next year in the AHL, where he will likely finish his career.

As for "no glaring weaknesses", his 6g in 117gp in a Vancouver uni (and 11g in 153gp) say hello...he is a guy who can't score a goal to save his life (or career), and the guy couldn't connect on a pass either lol....in the minor pros, he's got decent, if not unspectacular numbers...approx. .65 PPG...but that is it...in the "show" he is beyond useless

That is my HOCKEY assessment of him...as a PERSON, he seems like a really nice guy...and as the Taylor Pyatts et al before him, I think that is a lot of Gaunce's problem, it hasn't served him well at the NHL level

meh, if you're not good at anything (which is point I also said you oddly overlooked when replying to my post), you're not going to have a successful NHL career.  Fact is, he was very average at most things but didn't excel at anything.  Better to have just one high skill level even if the rest of your game is kind of meh than being meh at everything (like Boeser, who has a very high skill level - goal scoring ability).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I’d have to go with Connor Bedard  for not making a stand and demanding he be drafted where he belongs. 

In all seriousness , Brock Boeser looked so promising as a rookie and has struggled to meet the expectations I had for him. Injury’s and personal circumstances surely contributed to his less than anticipated performance.

Perhaps he breaks out in a big way this year. 

7 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I’d have to go with Connor Bedard  for not making a stand and demanding he be drafted where he belongs. 

In all seriousness , Brock Boeser looked so promising as a rookie and has struggled to meet the expectations I had for him. Injury’s and personal circumstances surely contributed to his less than anticipated performance.

Perhaps he breaks out in a big way this year. 

I put his development (or lack of) blame on the coaching (my opinion).  Let's see if Tocchet can change that.  That & him being healthy (a point you made) will go a long ways in making him worth his current contract.

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Mats Sundin. $5.6 million for 9 goals....

How about the entire 2011 roster that failed to score a goal in a game 7 of a SCF?

(I know, I'm still Bitter & Twisted)

*almost* worth it for this:

:ph34r:

It was hilarious him sucking wind after a 30 second shift though.:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Heretic said:

How about the entire 2011 roster that failed to score a goal in a game 7 of a SCF?

For a 37 year old his 9g and 28p weren't bad for 41gp...and by him retiring, at least we got let off the hook for year two at $10M haha

And as the story goes, he was a great leader in the room, especially to the young Edler, and even to the Sedins and other's like Kess and the  youngsters 

The mess of Messier. That's it there. Many in CDC didn't experience that whole fiasco, but many in CDC did. And boy, was it ever painful to bring in the captain of the team that defeated us in '94. Messier mighta' been great as a Canuck, but he was a cancer more than anything. Sure.....Nazzy gave him credit for his transition to captain in the WCE era, but really....that's all Mess gets from me. Hate the guy as a Canuck!

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Yeah but somehow it was still awesome that he played for the Canucks. I thought anyway. Although he just wanted to collect one more pay check I think 

52 minutes ago, Devron said:

I picked LE then I forgot about JV. So much talent but dumber than a stick. 

Speed, shot, and hitting were all like off the charts but he didn’t know how or when to use those things 

He was in the lead until I remembered he who shall not be named. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

He was in the lead until I remembered he who shall not be named. 

I just missed that era. Started watching hockey the 2000-2001 season. Naslund was captain and Cloutier was my favourite. Great times. Just snuck into the playoffs 

• Cheers 1