The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which player is the greatest disappointment in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

[DEBATE] Which player is the greatest disappointment in Vancouver Canucks history?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

David Booth - pretty boy dumb blonde who can't even hunt properly
Micheal Ferland - had high hopes when he came over to the good  side
Nikita Tryamkin - potential, but people were higher on him than he'd earned
Keith Ballard - meh, I was ok with him
Olli Juolevi - will forever be remembered in the fetal position
Loui Eriksson - forever in our hearts (and emoji's)
Jake Virtanen - what is and what should never be...over him already
Alek Stojanov - it is what it is
Shawn Antonski - love him

Jay Beagle - I like him and didn't really feel disappointment here

Mark Messier - all the words I can say don't start with dis but are prohibited on this site

Cody Hodgson - too bad...I think flying in via helicopter (parent/manager) was more of a disadvantage than anything that helped him

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - like him...not his fault we pay too much for players

Sven Baertschi - like him too...can't really say I was disappointed in him...more the league for not addressing the hit that concussed him and put him behind

Vladimir Krutov - tanker

Linden Vey - anyone with Linden in their name has big shoes to fill and are set up to fail

Jordan Schroeder - sounds like he should've been a teen idol from a 90's sitcom

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Booth, outside the fact "he was one weird dude" (Torts :lol:) actually was putting up ok points for a 2nd liner.  It all went downhill after an Avs players gave him a cheapshot 'knee-on-knee' hit.  Was never the same after that.  Well, never the same in a weird sense.:lol:

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Also David Booth was not a disappointment the tight rope video made the signing completely worth it. 

• Haha 2

Olli Juolevi for me. At least Jake and Cody Hodgson played in the NHL.

This was a massive bust (5th OA), and pretty much all the fans knew he was the wrong pick. He never was an NHL player.

2015-16 was a horrendous season, and we don't have a single asset to show for it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Olli Juolevi for me. At least Jake and Cody Hodgson played in the NHL.

This was a massive bust (5th OA), and pretty much all the fans knew he was the wrong pick. He never was an NHL player.

2015-16 was a horrendous season, and we don't have a single asset to show for it.

Dan Woodley 7th overall 1986, 5 games, 2 goals.

Jason Herter, 8th overall 1989, 1 game, 1 assist.

Libor Polasek, 21st overall 1991, No games

OJ at least played 41 NHL games.

I swear we have the worst drafting of any team in the NHL.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dan Woodley 7th overall 1986, 5 games, 2 goals.

Jason Herter, 8th overall 1989, 1 game, 1 assist.

Libor Polasek, 21st overall 1991, No games

OJ at least played 41 NHL games.

I swear we have the worst drafting of any team in the NHL.

Well, at least the Canucks made two of the best picks in franchise history after OJ.

• There it is 1

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This would be more interesting if it was for second biggest disappointment.  Messier was so hyped up and then was a locker room cancer in addition to playing like complete trash.

I personally never found him to be that much of a disappointment cause I wasn't a fan of his and found him to be overrated anyway. So he is actually fairly low on my list of disappointments, I was more angry that he made as much as he did and didn't care here. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I personally never found him to be that much of a disappointment cause I wasn't a fan of his and found him to be overrated anyway. So he is actually fairly low on my list of disappointments, I was more angry that he made as much as he did and didn't care here. 

Was never a fan but the marketing department was sure pumping his tires at the time. 

• Cheers 1

• David Booth - lived up to expectations his first season, and was a nice add-on despite us not having a good run. LTIR second season. His final season he fell out of favour as Torts hated him. He actually played OK in the roles he was given - on the 2nd line he was on pace for 23 goals and in the bottom six he played fine in that role (underlying numbers and hits were solid) but was paid too much. Given we traded Samuelsson in his final year after extracting a tonne of value out of him, dumped Sturm who was a mistake, and acquired a 3rd round pick out of it he was worth the gamble but didn't pan out. 

• Micheal Ferland -  I was super sad Ferland's career ended the way it did. Was so excited about this signing but we only got 14 games out of him. It is hard to place a guy who doesn't pan out because of injuries vs one who doesn't live up to expectations. 

• Nikta Tryamkin - Sad he didn't come back but he was a 3rd rounder who gave us a season +. 

• Keith Ballard - A great acquisition at the time who unfortunately had an undisclosed injury despite playing 82 games. He sort of falls into the Booth camp of he wasn't really that bad but pushed down the lineup and overpaid. This was a bit of a different era - fans were behind Ballard and more hate was directed toward Vigneault. What makes Ballard not so disappointing is part of the reason he got pushed down the lineup was Hamhuis who was excellent - if we never acquired Hamhuis things would have gone different. 

• Olli Juolevi - Hated this pick at the time, but at least expected him to be a 2nd pairing dman for us. Maybe the most disappointing draft pick. 

• Loui Eriksson - Eriksson was a very good player then signed in Vancouver and went to absolute crap. 

• Jake Virtanen - I was never that high on Jake - even when we drafted him I thought he would be a 15 goal guy who hits. 

• Alek Stojanov - don't remember

• Shawn Antonski - don't remember

• Jay Beagle - I know this signing was a disaster from the onset but Beagle was a bit worse than I anticipated. 

• Mark Messier - Huge disappointment but they put way too much on the shoulders of an aging player. In hindsight he was actually far better than Eriksson (was top 2 in either scoring or points per game in his 3 seasons)

• Cody Hodgson - I was disappointed when he was traded, but he ended up having that insane medical condition anyway. Sad because if not for that I think he would have been better than Horvat and would have been our captain after Henrik. 

• Oliver Ekman-Larsson - I knew he sucked - disappointed from the onset. 

• Sven Baertschi - meh

• Vladimir Krutov - don't remember

• Linden Vey - stupid giving up a 2nd for a guy that would have ended up on waivers. Small, slow, didn't light the world on fire BAD pro scouting. 

• Jordan Schroeder - I'd say Schroeder would have to be up there - he was anticipated to go top 10 and I really liked what I saw from him. Injuries and a bad environment from NCAA to the Chicago Wolves to John Tortella destroyed him. 

It is kind of hard to put it in rankings, but I'd put it in this order:

1. Most underperfrming signing - Eriksson
    2. Most disappointing draft pick - Juolevi
    3. Saddest signing based on potential - Ferland
    4. Saddest draft pick based on potential - Hodgson 
    5. Worst trade (at the time and in hindsight) - OEL
  • 6. Biggest cancer - Messier
Edited by canucklehead44
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

What about Brendan Gaunce? I remember the hype and expectations around here for this guy..."maybe next year" etc.

For being a big body, he was such a frustrating player and I was hoping for more offense than the putrid numbers he put up...

I mean really, the illustrious José Charbonneau, (in his tenure here) has the same career points, in less than half the games :blink:

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Hodgson was primed to be our future captain and top line center, had a decent year as a 3C and then attitude problems/dad stuff got in the way and ruined his career. Former 10th overall pick I believe but the expectations were so high for him so that was pretty disappointing.

I knew Virtanen was going to be trash from as soon as we drafted him but I guess everyone else thought he'd be some sort of faster Lucic-type so everyone else must be pretty disappointed.

Eriksson surprised everyone with how bad he was. He looked great in Boston and great in Dallas, dropped 20-30 goals consistently and was a beast of a power-forward, then gets his paycheck and disappears and pretty much drags down our cap situation with him, which we're still feeling to this day.

• Cheers 1