The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

32 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance actually has quite a solid relationship with Miller. There was a lot of speculation about Drance being the target of JTs ire in his recent podcast hit. But different media have reported it's unlikely Drance because they get along well. Drance has also generally been supportive of JT, as far as Drance goes.

One of the most generally accepted credible sources in NHL media is Frank Seravalli. I can't even say when he reported about Millers reputations or I'd risk getting a warning. 

"But different media"? Who, exactly? 

Seravalli in March:

but Seravalli doesn't think the Canucks see him in Vancouver in the long run

So his opinion isn't the "correct" one...it's just "his opinion". Credible or not, he's been proven wrong despite his personal feelings (that's all they are) about JT.

A lot of media guys were convinced JT was being traded...to Pittsburgh/wherever. When they're wrong, they try to do double takes.

Drance (I don't hear supportive here). He's like McLean....try to board back on the bus when guys turn it around...after you've thrown them under it. It's called saving face or...trying to wipe the egg off it:

• RoughGame 1

Here's another voice of reason. Let's face it, it's very much split between supporters and naysayers with few on the fence about it all:

But there's no denying that JT has shut up some of his critics. Actions speak louder than their words. Also...the actions of his team, that appear to support him long term and feel he's worth keeping around. Even IF these so called experts didn't think so.

But, just so I'm clear here...I'm ok if it's Quinn too. He'd be good in many respects...lighthearted and very well spoken. 

I just see JT in the role as a natural and Quinn may not be as well equipped if the team hits the skids and someone has to face the vultures. It likely can be daunting at times as microphones and dumb questions fly at your face.

• Cheers 1

Captain Thatcher Snatcher. If anyone on the team could IMO I'd nominate him. I know I know the last time we put a C on a tender it didn't go so well. But I really don't see a better candidate. This team will only go as far as he goes. He studied Philosophy and Psychology at Boston College. He's smart, well-spoken, and a true leader of this team.  

It doesn't matter who we put the C on he's going to be the one leading this team. 

38 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

I think we have a perfect blend of accountability on the ice from Petey, Level headed spokesperson from Hughes and wear your heart on your sleeve leadership from Miller who be the first to speak up when things go south.

I think there's a better chance of it having more of a negative impact on the  team play overall if they choose a captain right now.

Leave r be! They're all good leaders in their own right.

I pretty much agree. I think the best teams have a leadership core because not everyone can step up at once. I prefer having a grizzled checking line vet as a captain myself but we don't have one. Objectively we don't have a lot of veterans with post season success anyway so while i favor Hughes, it's going to take a big jump from many on this team to lead and get us close to the playoffs. And no playoffs may mean no future with pettey.

36 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Here's another voice of reason. Let's face it, it's very much split between supporters and naysayers with few on the fence about it all:

But there's no denying that JT has shut up some of his critics. Actions speak louder than their words. Also...the actions of his team, that appear to support him long term and feel he's worth keeping around. Even IF these so called experts didn't think so.

For all the bad rap and even the back on forth on this site I think JT has really grown in a lot of ways and I'm hopeful that continues this season. He really does seem to care a lot about the game and his teammates.

I don't think he's right for Captain but he's still good for the team and I agree his teammates really do like him.

Quinn gets my vote. I would say Petey but I just don't think he needs any extra responsibilities right now. He's focused on being a top 5 player in this league. Quinn also eats, sleeps, and breathes the game. He's stoically thoughtful and a student of the game. His focus is intense. I think he would be a great leader now and in the future.

Edited by Gawdzukes

33 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

"But different media"? Who, exactly? 

Seravalli in March:

So his opinion isn't the "correct" one...it's just "his opinion". Credible or not, he's been proven wrong despite his personal feelings (that's all they are) about JT.

A lot of media guys were convinced JT was being traded...to Pittsburgh/wherever. When they're wrong, they try to do double takes.

Drance (I don't hear supportive here). He's like McLean....try to board back on the bus when guys turn it around...after you've thrown them under it. It's called saving face or...trying to wipe the egg off it:

The Halford and Brough podcast went over this in detail on a believe Friday. Is was Jamie and Bik, I believe. If you want more information you can do back and listen to is yourself. I'm not gonna bother digging up time stamps for something that won't change your opinion anyways.

I really don't know what your Pits trade is trying to prove. It's evident that Miller was being discussed heavily in trade talks. Just because it didn't happen, doesn't make him wrong. Frank said it the Canucks felt it was in their best interest to trade him and were discussing options. Given he was in trade rumors for the better part of 2 years, right up until his NMC kicked in, feels like that's a fair statement. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I really don't know what posting one Drance clip has to do with anything. Didn't you just criticize me for focusing on one negative aspect while ignoring the big picture? Then you post one hit that highlights a negative and willfully ignore the grandeur scope of things where Drance has generally been one of the more positive media members in regards to Miller, outside maybe Shah, since the whole keeping Horvat vs Miller thing starts coming up last season. Particular when the thing he criticized Miller about in the clip was leaving the bench early. Drance has every right to be critical about that. It's one of prime reasons why Miller is not captain material in my eyes. A captain doesn't sulk off the ice when the going gets tough.

Did he believe Miller should have been traded, yes. As do I. Signing a 30 year old for 7 years was a bad call. I'm glad they traded Horvat, and I think they should have traded Miller. That's not jumping the bus, that's speaking about the logistics of the situation without being burdened by emotions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The Halford and Brough podcast went over this in detail on a believe Friday. Is was Jamie and Bik, I believe. If you want more information you can do back and listen to is yourself. I'm not gonna bother digging up time stamps for something that won't change your opinion anyways.

I really don't know what your Pits trade is trying to prove. It's evident that Miller was being discussed heavily in trade talks. Just because it didn't happen, doesn't make him wrong. Frank said it the Canucks felt it was in their best interest to trade him and were discussing options. Given he was in trade rumors for the better part of 2 years, right up until his NMC kicked in, feels like that's a fair statement. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I really don't know what posting one Drance clip has to do with anything. Didn't you just criticize me for focusing on one negative aspect while ignoring the big picture? Then you post one hit that highlights a negative and willfully ignore the grandeur scope of things where Drance has generally been one of the more positive media members in regards to Miller, outside maybe Shah, since the whole keeping Horvat vs Miller thing starts coming up last season. Particular when the thing he criticized Miller about in the clip was leaving the bench early. Drance has every right to be critical about that. It's one of prime reasons why Miller is not captain material in my eyes. A captain doesn't sulk off the ice when the going gets tough.

Did he believe Miller should have been traded, yes. As do I. Signing a 30 year old for 7 years was a bad call. I'm glad they traded Horvat, and I think they should have traded Miller. That's not jumping the bus, that's speaking about the logistics of the situation without being burdened by emotions.

I feel that some reading into JT in a negative light are being burdened by emotions. Deciding what he is based on a couple (not multiple) displays rather than in a big picture way. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is a fierce competitor...not really a bad thing considering what he does for a living. 

He's volatile is an emotional response to what you're seeing from him. Some read it as: he's playing a fast paced, intense, physical game and is all in. And yes, he shows that.

Besides, we need a little more volatility and less complacency. He also fights...that's his volatile side. So it has it's place in this game. And again, it can come in handy in addressing the negativity that can surround this team.

"Sulking off the ice" doesn't really capture who he is...he had a moment or two and those stuck there are burdened by emotions in my view. If that's all you see, you're not looking hard enough. It's very much tunnel vision.

As to "he believed he should be traded"....many seem stuck on that stance and were convinced he would be. They still want to somehow justify it but that ship has sailed.

But again...we'll never see eye to eye. And I'm glad the team sees him in more of a positive light than some others do. They don't appear to care what the negative nellies say and neither do I. Nor does JT seem to as he has a thick outer skin. Another asset.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I feel that some reading into JT in a negative light are being burdened by emotions. Deciding what he is based on a couple (not multiple) displays rather than in a big picture way. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is a fierce competitor...not really a bad thing considering what he does for a living. 

He's volatile is an emotional response to what you're seeing from him. Some read it as: he's playing a fast paced, intense, physical game and is all in. And yes, he shows that.

Besides, we need a little more volatility and less complacency. He also fights...that's his volatile side. So it has it's place in this game.

"Sulking off the ice" doesn't really capture who he is...he had a moment or two and those stuck there are burdened by emotions in my view. 

Drance and positive don't really go together from what I've seen and read from him. 

But again...we'll never see eye to eye. And I'm glad the team sees him in more of a positive light than some others do.

"When you're talking about more than one, you're talking about multiple things. A machine with many fixtures has multiple parts. A person that seems like two totally different people on different days might have multiple personalities." -vocabulary.com

a number that can be divided by another number without a remainder. -Oxford

You continually bring up multiple for whatever reason , so here is the definition of multiple. Just so we can put this one to rest....

Fast-paced, physical game is not an excuse. Every player on the ice is playing the same game. No one else is acting like JT does as frequently as JT does.

Do we need more volatility? Your opinion seems to be yes, mine is no. I played high level team sports and competed in boxing and at no point did any of my coaches ever once suggest I should be more volatile. Never once, only that you control your emotions so you can preform to your highest ability. You seem to have a different opinion, and that's cool.

He sulked of the ice, doesn't matter if it captures "who he is". None of us know "who he is", yourself included. We can only judge him on his play on the ice. He seems like a good guy, but even a good guy can make big mistakes. A grown adult leaving the ice early because he messed up doesn't show captain material in my eyes. 

No, Drance is generally one of the more negative media members. He has every right to be, the teams been generally bad for 10 years.. But personally I like hearing his take on things, so I listen to him. As well as nearly all other sources of Canucks media, at least on 650. You making a blanket statement about Drance and ignoring the intricacies of how he has generally spoken about Miller is insincere, in my opinion. 

We can agree on not seeing eye to eye on the subject though, I'm good with that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

No one else is acting like JT does as frequently as JT does.

I played high level team sports

When was the last time JT did something concerning to you? And no one aside from Petey really was scoring/carrying the team like he was either, so....

Also, so Drance had every right to be but JT didn't?

You lost me at the "I played" part as that has NO bearing on a discussion about JT Miller. Does not make your opinion more credible.

Done, for the last time...agree to disagree. There's no right/wrong in this, only our opinions. And mine is swayed by the fact that JT is touted throughout the league as a valuable asset and the team has bought in long term with him. All that matters to me at this point...our fans who don't support him aren't really relevant to me.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

When was the last time JT did something concerning to you? And no one aside from Petey really was scoring like he was either, so....

You lost me at the "I played" part as that has NO bearing on a discussion about JT Miller. Does not make your opinion more credible.

Done, for the last time...agree to disagree. There's no right/wrong in this, only our opinions. And mine is swayed by the fact that JT is touted throughout the league as a valuable asset and the team has bought in long term with him. All that matters to me at this point...our fans who don't support him aren't really relevant to me.

Comedy Central Thank You GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Miller isn't what you want in a captain:

1. One of our best/scoring leaders

2. Will fight/has others' backs

3. Spoke up during COVID to support his teammates

4. Was the last guy on the bench beside Bruce when that went down as it shouldn't have

5. Integrity/good family man

6. Can take criticism (and does)

7. Mature/experienced/well spoken

8. Believes in this team and has committed to it long term

9. Blocks out the noise/isn't on SM

Yeah, not a good choice.

• Cheers 3

I don't want to see Hughes or Petey as captains... yet. This is one of the most brutal sports media markets anywhere, and being captain and addressing the media every game really feels like it could drag them down. I think Miller has genuinely matured over the years and would be the best choice... but only if he's REALLY ready to keep a level head when the questions start to get idiotic and negative as they always seem to.

I wouldn't mind a rotating captaincy at all. Spread the load around. It's a lot easier to remain positive when you know you don't have to be THE GUY every single night.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Lots of folks are worried about the media guys, screw em, (the media guys). The captaincy is about the team-ref relationship on the ice, not some BS questions after the game. 

When all the the team does is lose and you have to be the one to step in front of the camera and answer the same bonehead questions every night it takes it’s toll.

We saw it happen to Naslund and we saw it happen to Bo.

It takes a certain personality to be able to do that night after night. Miller is not that personality.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2