The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

48 minutes ago, Papa Sawce said:

Going no captaincy is such a stupid new aged hipster way to do it, I hate when teams take like 3 years to choose a captain just do it

I agree with this. We have players who have taken us over the salary cap, yet none of them are fit to captain? Just pick one and be done with it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"Careful now Gurn, you're treading awfully close to 'hater' territory. " - MeanSeanBean

Meh, wouldn't be the first time, hopefully not the last.

And with the preservatives I eat, it is likely to happen many more times.

I know an online hater who is in complete denial about said hatred. Back on topic, I think it would be best if Miller is named captain.

Edited by Gassy Jack
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I agree with this. We have players who have taken us over the salary cap, yet none of them are fit to captain? Just pick one and be done with it.

It's not the players who take us over the cap, that's management.

On 8/13/2023 at 9:07 PM, Slegr said:

Do the Canucks have an official captain in 2023-24? 
If so, who will it be? And when will it be announced?

I can’t see it going to anyone other than Petey or Miller. Don’t get me wrong, Hughes is a great leader is many respects, but I just don’t see him wearing the C.

I’d be fine with either Petey or Miller, and my gut says it’ll be Petey. Unless he refuses to sign long term, then Miller.

OMG-- Serious Petey doesn't really want the "C" with talking to media and his English isn't as good as he would like..I honestly think Petey is very happy with the "A" .. Hughes is  the new captain no question and he is very well spoken and respected by everyone..

Miller has that side that everyone has seen so big no to captain just the "A"

Also it takes a good group for leadership..

Hughes "C"  -- Petey. "A" -- Miller. "A" ---  Support group Demko--Myers -- Boeser---Hronek---( Kuzmenko great personality )

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

OMG-- Serious Petey doesn't really want the "C" with talking to media and his English isn't as good as he would like..I honestly think Petey is very happy with the "A" .. Hughes is  the new captain no question and he is very well spoken and respected by everyone..

Miller has that side that everyone has seen so big no to captain just the "A"

Also it takes a good group for leadership..

Hughes "C"  -- Petey. "A" -- Miller. "A" ---  Support group Demko--Myers -- Boeser---Hronek---( Kuzmenko great personality )

Hughes had the microphone last game of season to thank fans..That was the first sigh and Tocchet likes composure and well spoken Quinn Hughes.. 

Canucks will have Captain opening ceremonies and twins will hand Hughes the uniform with the big "C"..

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I’d say Hughes but Petey would be ideal if he truly wants it. Miller is a dark horse but could work.  He’s a leader for sure but maybe more suited to an A.

Hughes sounds and looks depressed constantly.   And hes likely headed to NJ in a few years so he wouldnt be my pick.   

None of these guys have the mentality to handle a captaincy role.  Petey may at some point. 

• Wat 1

22 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

To me Miller is the best choice, and has been for quite a while. It was evident even during the pandemic when it was Miller who stepped up to defend the team and was the vocal leader. He's an emotional guy. He's firey. He leads and pulls guys into the battle. 

Just listen to the guy. He's a natural leader. He'll be a great coach someday.

We've done it the "nice guy" way for far, FAR too long. 

This pretty much says it all right there about our next Captain. No more Mr. Nice guys thank you very much.::D

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

no to miller.. he does have some good qualities, vocal fiery will go to war, and holds everyone accountable but himself. the bad qualities outweights the good qualities.. this guy gets mad and angry way too easily.. we don't need him going to the referee for an explanation and then yelling and screaming at them if things don't go his way.. a lot of you claim the league is against us.. the refs are against us.. so i rather not give them more reason to give us more mickey mouse penalties.. his emotion is too volatile and works both ways.. he'll drag his team into war.. at the same time he will drag the team down with him on the sinking boat depending on which way his emotion is leaning.. in a close game.. he'll lead the way and try to will the team back in.. in a not so close game.. his body langauge is more like ok whatever. not exactly the type of captain i would want to lead a team.. inconsistent. if he can fix those things? sure he can be the captain but unless shown otherwise i rather Hughes maybe EP or no captain at all this season and evaluate after the season.. plenty of teams have no captain for a season or 2.. not really that big of a deal.

This is the only thing that matters to me regarding a Captain.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

This is the only thing that matters to me regarding a Captain.

Richard Sharpe, 95th Rifles:  "A “killing officer will lead you to your death as he does his job. A “murdering officer will get you killed needlessly either in a vain attempt to seek glory or through his incompetence."

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Richard Sharpe, 95th Rifles:  "A “killing officer will lead you to your death as he does his job. A “murdering officer will get you killed needlessly either in a vain attempt to seek glory or through his incompetence."

?????