The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry to Red Wings for Gustav Lindstrom, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Okay my friend, we are going to need to bring out the stats.  So, let's break this down shall we?

Cossa played for a dog crap AHL team so that is why his numbers are horrible?

All the goalies who played with the Grand Rapids Griffins last season:

Ryan Bednard - 5 games - 1.67 - .946

Magnus Hellberg - 4 games - 2.50 - .932

Alex Nedeljkovic - 26 games - 2.71 - .912

Jussi Olkinoura - 15 games - 3.75 - .868

Victor Brattstrom - 18 games - 3.71 - .885

John Lethemon - 9 games - 3.88 - .878

Sebastian Cossa - 3 games - 5.57 - .783

One of these goalies is not like the other.  Cossa was so bad compared to the rest of his teammates that Grand Rapids had to invoke the mercy rule and he was sent to the ECHL.  The team may have been dog crap, but Cossa's dog crap smelled substantially worse than the rest of his goalie teammates.

As for his ECHL numbers, you do realize that the worst of the worst goalies play in the ECHL right?  The next lower league after the ECHL is basically the beer league at 8 rinks.

Let's compare now what Wallstedt did with the Iowa Wild:

Jesper Wallstedt - 38 games - 2.68 - .908

Zane McIntyre - 34 games - 2.87 - .899

So Wallstedt, who is 20 years old, outperformed his 30-year-old teammate, Zane McIntyre, a career AHL'er with really good numbers in the AHL over the last 3 seasons, by quite a margin.  

In fact, Wallstedt, at 20 years old, outperformed many of his peers in the AHL last season:

AHL Goalie Stats 2022-2023 (quanthockey.com)

Jesper Wallstedt - 38 games - 2.68 - .908

Akira Schmid - 23 games - 2.62 - .905

Akira Schmid was so good last year that New Jersey brought him up to play in the NHL.  He had a 2.13 GAA and .922 SV% in 18 games in the NHL.  He also starred for New Jersey in the playoffs.  He is 23 years old.  Jesper Wallstedt, who is only 20 years old, had almost identical numbers to Akira Schmid in the AHL.  So, Jesper Wallstedt is on a similar projectory to Akira Schmid to play and star in the NHL.  Meanwhile, Sebastian Cossa is hanging out in the ECHL.

As for the Detroit defence, Chiarot is worse than Myers, Holl can't hold Soucy's jockstrap.  Hronek is at the same level as Seider whether you want to believe it or not, Seider still has alot to prove and Hronek was better than him last year.  Hughes is a phenom, Detroit doesn't have a comparable to him and they are still crying they passed on him and took Zadina instead.  Cole is better than Maatta, Cole played in Tampa's top 4 last year and is severely underrated.  I guess Ghost is matched up with Hughes.  Oh boy, that's like comparing Paul Coffey to Tyson Barrie.  I guess Petry is matched up with Juulsen.  I'll give the edge to Petry.  Overall, Canucks defence > Detroit's defence.

Reaching Season 2 GIF by SHOWTIME

People don't get the Wings' moves but I do 

Plan A 

Make playoffs, select with a pick in the late teens or early 20s

Plan B

Miss Playoffs narrowly, select with a pick from 7-14 

Plan C

Miss playoffs decidedly, sell veterans for picks and prospects. Pick in the top ten with their own pick, give Boston's pick to Ottawa and use the cap space and roster flexibility to do better next year. Perron, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Sprong and Fischer are all on expiring contracts. 

With the extra draft capital and another high pick, Detroit gets one step closer to being a powerhouse once more. With Sandin-Pellikka, Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, Cossa, another top 10 pick next year coming up the pipeline Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa will knock Boston, Tampa Bay and possibly Toronto out of contention in the Atlantic Division .

This isn't about the Red Wings, but I find it outrageous how barren the Maple Leafs cupboard is. They picked first overall in 2016 to get Auston Matthews and now, if they don't go deep in the playoffs they're facing down the barrel at another rebuild. Matthews, Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, Klingberg, Samsonov and Giordano are all UFAs after next season. They don't re-sign Matthews, which is a must, there's probably no one left as a UFA to replace him. Lindholm? Scheifele? Stephenson? Roslovic? Duchene? 

Anyways, I rest my peace. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Just scrolling through comments then it’s just a picture of the dude with red eyes. 

Must have just caught you right.  Lol.  I remember when that happened to his eyes.  Talk about intimidating your opponents 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, qwijibo said:

Must have just caught you right.  Lol.  I remember when that happened to his eyes.  Talk about intimidating your opponents 

For sure. Laughing is the key to life. Same but I can’t remember what happened. Pink eye lol 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

For sure. Laughing is the key to life. Same but I can’t remember what happened. Pink eye lol 

I think he had a sinus infection or something  and the blood vessels in his eyes ruptured on the flight to a game 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

With the extra draft capital and another high pick, Detroit gets one step closer to being a powerhouse once more. With Sandin-Pellikka, Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, Cossa, another top 10 pick next year coming up the pipeline Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa will knock Boston, Tampa Bay and possibly Toronto out of contention in the Atlantic Division .

Who's to say that ASP, Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, and Cossa won't be busts?  

We are going to see Dylan Larkin turn 30 before they become contenders, and who are going to be their top centers then?  

Red Wings need to make the playoffs this year, otherwise it will be a lost year

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Who's to say that ASP, Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, and Cossa won't be busts?  

We are going to see Dylan Larkin turn 30 before they become contenders, and who are going to be their top centers then?  

Red Wings need to make the playoffs this year, otherwise it will be a lost year

You mean if the unlikely outcome of Kasper and Danielson busting out?

Yzerman will figure it out just look at what he built in Tampa Bay. The team came with Stamkos and Hedman but all the great nabs in free agency, the drafting and the trades. We need management like that. 

Keep in mind, down the middle they also have Amadeus Lombardi. Sounds like a nobody but he put up 102 pts in the OHL with Flint. Former 2nd round pick. On the wing they've done pretty well with Mazur, Berggren and Hanas. If I had to say definitively, this Red Wings rebuild should go on for another year or two. 

They've still got some great pieces, they'll have some young guys, they're stacked on the left side on defense what they really need to work on is their depth upfront. 

BTW, adding DeBrincat wasn't a "win-now" move. They signed him to a long-term deal and he's 25. If they rebuild for two more years, DeBrincat will be in his prime flanking Larkin. By than, they'll have a tone of veteran leadership to support a really good core of young players. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

You mean if the unlikely outcome of Kasper and Danielson busting out?

Yzerman will figure it out just look at what he built in Tampa Bay. The team came with Stamkos and Hedman but all the great nabs in free agency, the drafting and the trades. We need management like that. 

Keep in mind, down the middle they also have Amadeus Lombardi. Sounds like a nobody but he put up 102 pts in the OHL with Flint. Former 2nd round pick. On the wing they've done pretty well with Mazur, Berggren and Hanas. If I had to say definitively, this Red Wings rebuild should go on for another year or two. 

They've still got some great pieces, they'll have some young guys, they're stacked on the left side on defense what they really need to work on is their depth upfront. 

BTW, adding DeBrincat wasn't a "win-now" move. They signed him to a long-term deal and he's 25. If they rebuild for two more years, DeBrincat will be in his prime flanking Larkin. By than, they'll have a tone of veteran leadership to support a really good core of young players. 

IMHAO Yzerman knows his younger guys aren’t good enough. He moved his best player because he was hopeful the Islanders’ first would roll into being unprotected in 2024. He list that bet and watched Slo Mo Seider doing the Chaos Giraffe impersonation as he tried to take on the Hronek role. Now Yzerman is trying to cover for his horrible mistake. Debrincat and Petey. LMAAO. Yzerman was taken to the woodshed by Allvin in the Hronek deal and he’s going to get the axe from Detroit ownership soon enough. 

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wonder if Savard could be available.

Montreal is too close to the cap now. I doubt ownership wants their rebuilding team spending that much.

Savard and Matheson are thier only good  veteran D.  I doubt they have any interest in moving him.  If they do he'd be part of a package to upgrade and get a guy in the same age range as their young core.  They have the depth and draft capital to do another Dach/Newhook type deal 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Savard and Matheson are thier only good  veteran D.  I doubt they have any interest in moving him.  If they do he'd be part of a package to upgrade and get a guy in the same age range as their young core.  They have the depth and draft capital to do another Dach/Newhook type deal 

Why would they want good D if they’re tanking though?

No team is gonna give up a good young D for him. They’ll be looking for prospects and picks.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why would they want good D if they’re tanking though?

No team is gonna give up a good young D for him. They’ll be looking for prospects and picks.

What moves made by Hughes makes you think they're tanking?  Hughes is building something and a landlside of injuries over the past two seasons have made them.look far worse than they are.  They aren't in tear down mode.  They're in build and progress mode 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What moves made by Hughes makes you think they're tanking?  Hughes is building something and a landlside of injuries over the past two seasons have made them.look far worse than they are.  They aren't in tear down mode.  They're in build and progress mode 

They’ll be bad next season.

Might as well get good value for vets while freeing up cap space. They’re in build mode you’re right which is why they’ll need draft capital, prospects, and cap space.