The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Quinn Hughes as captain

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Heard on the radio that Quinn mentioned many current and former teammates who helped him become a leader along the way, but Horvat wasn't one of them. Likely just an oversight, but kinda a big one considering Bo was just recently the captain for many years. 

The '2 Alphas' of Jannik Hansen fame* perhaps?

*Nice Jannik Hansen goal in here:

Spoiler

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, poetica said:

It was widely reported that he was thinking it over during the summer. I think everyone knows it was his if he wanted it.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pettersson-not-rushing-canucks-captaincy

You can't give the C to a guy that chose NOT to sign a long term extension this summer. Clearly EP is being very calculated, wants to see where team is (makes sense) but also knows and is being to by his agents that put up a similar or better year this season and watch your AAV exceed 12m annually.  

If JT wasn't so fiery he likely would have gotten the C. But at the same time if they gave JT the C maybe EP would choose to walk, think there will always be some friction between EP and JT AND that can be a good thing if they are pushing eachother to be and get better. It can also backfire in a BIG way and have EP asking for a trading next off season.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not offered though. Petey isn’t a first language English speaker. 

His grasp of English is good enough to understand the situation. And he certainly knows more than we do about the conversations he'd had. And he said that he was thinking it over.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that he was thinking about it is no indication of whether it was offered. 

Of course it is. People rarely say they will think over things they aren't being offered.

I genuinely don't understand why some people need to be so contrary.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, poetica said:

His grasp of English is good enough to understand the situation. And he certainly knows more than we do about the conversations he'd had. And he said that he was thinking it over.

Of course it is. People rarely say they will think over things they aren't being offered.

I genuinely don't understand why some people need to be so contrary.

Petey, because of his newness to English, made a mistake in verb tense. He wasn’t offered the Captaincy. The club only decided the Captain during the summer. If offered to him, he would consider it, is what Petey meant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 86Viking said:

You can't give the C to a guy that chose NOT to sign a long term extension this summer. Clearly EP is being very calculated, wants to see where team is (makes sense) but also knows and is being to by his agents that put up a similar or better year this season and watch your AAV exceed 12m annually.  

If JT wasn't so fiery he likely would have gotten the C. But at the same time if they gave JT the C maybe EP would choose to walk, think there will always be some friction between EP and JT AND that can be a good thing if they are pushing eachother to be and get better. It can also backfire in a BIG way and have EP asking for a trading next off season.

True! And that may have been a big factor. The team certainly doesn't want the embarrassment of losing another captain so soon. Even if he wanted it, I don't know if they would have given it to him if he wasn't willing to commit long-term. And frankly, fair enough.

I agree also about JT, and for that reason I'm glad he didn't get it. (I was worried he would.) If Petey didn't want it, be it the C in general or a longer term commitment to this team, then Hughes was definitely the next best choice. He's a franchise player, high compete, level headed, and young enough he can hopefully serve in the position for years. He's a good choice.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Petey, because of his newness to English, made a mistake in verb tense. He wasn’t offered the Captaincy. The club only decided the Captain during the summer. If offered to him, he would consider it, is what Petey meant. 

You are making assumptions based on your assumption that Petey's English is too poor to understand conversations he had.

It makes far more sense that they talked to him about the captaincy and asked him to think over whether or not he would accept it. His answer likely factored in significantly to their decision.

Again, I genuinely don't get why people are being weird about it. Asking people if they'd even want a position like this is probably pretty standard.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Merely your assumption at this point. Unless Pettersson came out and stated that he was offered the captaincy and turned it down, you have no proof. 

Pettersson was thinking about the question asked of him in the interview. That's it. There is no mention of a formal or informal offer of the captaincy in that, or any other, article. 

I generally don't understand how people can make things up in their mind and try to pass it off as fact. 

Okay.

Whatever works for you.

5 minutes ago, poetica said:

You are making assumptions based on your assumption that Petey's English is too poor to understand conversations he had.

It makes far more sense that they talked to him about the captaincy and asked him to think over whether or not he would accept it. His answer likely factored in significantly to their decision.

Again, I genuinely don't get why people are being weird about it. Asking people if they'd even want a position like this is probably pretty standard.

Nope. You’re wrong. Petey is new to English. That’s a fact. His comment, that you’re using as evidence to stir up trouble, showed he’s an English as a second language speaker. The Captaincy wasn’t offered. If it was he said he would need to take time to consider it. This interview you’re quoting took place very soon after we traded Bo. Clearly the club wasn’t making the Captaincy decision at that point. 

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nope. You’re wrong. Petey is new to English. That’s a fact. His comment, that you’re using as evidence to stir up trouble, showed he’s an English as a second language speaker. The Captaincy wasn’t offered. If it was he said he would need to take time to consider it. This interview you’re quoting took place very soon after we traded Bo. Clearly the club wasn’t making the Captaincy decision at that point. 

There is your problem.

How exactly am I trying to "stir up trouble" when I'm literally saying it's not a big deal and they made the right choice? So what trouble? For whom?

And no one said they had made a decision, but that doesn't mean they didn't talk to him about whether or not he'd be interested. We know they talked to Bo about whether or not he was interested in the C long before it was offered. It's not unusual or controversial.

14 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

1st time commenting on the forums for quite some time. Elated that Huggy Bear is named captain of the team. He worked hard to get to this point and deserves all the credit for becoming captain of the team for many years to come. Go Quinn Go!

Would you or would you not say that naming Hughes captain was a beary sweet piece of work?