The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Quinn Hughes as captain

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

“Please don’t leave to Jersey at the end of your contract… here is the C!”

Kidding aside, I am sure there was some of that strategy in comes… but he is a good choice.  He comes from a hockey family that has been around the game and he knows better than most what he is getting into.

Hopefully there is some winning, nothing better than leading this team in this market during good times and long playoff runs.  In tough stretches it is a horrible grind having to trot out to the media and try to explain yet another loss.

• Upvote 1

I remember when we picked Quinn and how excited I was for him to play in the NHL. When he got here he did not disappoint. Was it his first game when he dangled, banked the puck off the back of the net, came to the front of the net and Brock buried the rebound? 

Anyways as exciting and awesome as he’s been I don’t think I ever thought. “That’s the Canucks next Captain”. Until this last year of course. Kinda neat 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Positive side, naming a Captain is one less distraction.

Negative side the media will be pestering Quinn all the time.

Hopeful side is Quinn tells the media to stuff it.

And fans can shut it too. They win as a team and lose as a team. Period 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

I remember when we picked Quinn and how excited I was for him to play in the NHL. When he got here he did not disappoint. Was it his first game when he dangled, banked the puck off the back of the net, came to the front of the net and Brock buried the rebound? 

Anyways as exciting and awesome as he’s been I don’t think I ever thought. “That’s the Canucks next Captain”. Until this last year of course. Kinda neat 

Yes, pretty sure that was his first game. Agree, I never expected him to be our Captain, and voted for JTM when Bo was traded.

I like this choice now…he’s stepped up as a leader, and has earned  it.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Yes, pretty sure that was his first game. Agree, I never expected him to be our Captain, and voted for JTM when Bo was traded.

I like this choice now…he’s stepped up as a leader, and has earned  it.

Sums up how I feel as well. I can live with this. He wants it and has earned/earning it. I like his attitude. 

• Cheers 1

So, will Huggy start dropping the gloves now that he is the captain?  FYI, Quinn Hughes was the captain of the USA World Junior Team in 2019.  Look closely at the video and you can see Hughes, #7, has a C on his jersey...

EDIT:  Looks like Hughes was an assistant captain, but was wearing the C for that one game...

2019 WJC | U.S. Roster (usahockey.com)

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 3

He's the best choice.

By all accounts, he's a leader in the dressing room, is comfortable in front of the media, and isn't afraid of calling out players/coaches/management.

Q. Hughes = accountability

Anybody saying Miller was the better choice...no absolutely not. You don't give the C to a guy who lazily glides back to the bench if the shift doesn't go his way, and displays poor body language constantly. He's a firey guy but not captain material.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1