The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

5 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Is it Fantilli? That was my first impression. 

It all but certainly is, but he didn't name drop him for plausible deniability. 

Commodore is deranged. His obsession with Babcock is the kind of thing that warrants a restraining order. Biznasty isn't much better.

I'm not a Babcock fan, but its pretty hard to take these allegations seriously with the info that has come out, and the fact that Spittin Chiclets is still doubling down on them tells you their worth as media. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

It all but certainly is, but he didn't name drop him for plausible deniability. 

Commodore is deranged. His obsession with Babcock is the kind of thing that warrants a restraining order. Biznasty isn't much better.

I'm not a Babcock fan, but its pretty hard to take these allegations seriously with the info that has come out, and the fact that Spittin Chiclets is still doubling down on them tells you their worth as media. 

It tells me that they believe their source.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jack Gordon said:

No one knows what is really going on with this, though some folks are pretending like they do.

I could only guess and maybe it’s also obvious, but someone with an axe to grind with Babcock told this to Biznasty, who already didn’t like him, so he believed it and so did Commie. The only person lying is the source. 

Just now, Citizen Erased said:

I could only guess and maybe it’s also obvious, but someone with an axe to grind with Babcock told this to Biznasty, who already didn’t like him, so he believed it and so did Commie. The only person lying is the source. 

Doesn't everyone have an axe to grind with Babcock ::D

But really, with the amount a stuff that has come out around hockey the last couple of years, this just seems par for the course.

• elephant 1

Just now, Jack Gordon said:

Doesn't everyone have an axe to grind with Babcock ::D

But really, with the amount a stuff that has come out around hockey the last couple of years, this just seems par for the course.

Well, apparently his daughter doesn’t, but sadly I agree with you, because of Kyle Beach, The world juniors teams etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well, apparently his daughter doesn’t, but sadly I agree with you, because of Kyle Beach, The world juniors teams etc.

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of hoping there is enough to this to punt Babcock from the NHL for good.

And ideally, he can drag Jarmo in Columbus out the door with him.

Most likely none of that is about to happen, admittedly. But it would be nice all the same imvho.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Gurn said:

Can someone explain just what the heck all that techno babble is actually saying?

And why it is a bad thing, whatever it is?

I am probably a bit late to the party , but my understanding is Babs wanted to see pictures of each players summer lifestyles, and maybe display them for the team to see as a whole...but if my boss asked to see my phone pics and then displayed them to the staff, i would be pissed. 

That seems like all this is about. not really a show, just an old guy trying to be tech savvy and missed the mark on human respect of privacy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of hoping there is enough to this to punt Babcock from the NHL for good.

And ideally, he can drag Jarmo in Columbus out the door with him.

Most likely none of that is about to happen, admittedly. But it would be nice all the same imvho.

what don't you like about Jarmo?

I am out of the CBJ loop, but from a distance, Jarmo is someone I admire...maybe I don't know something?

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

what don't you like about Jarmo?

I am out of the CBJ loop, but from a distance, Jarmo is someone I admire...maybe I don't know something?

Well really just that he has a franchise that players have tended not to want to play for and he seems to compound the problem by hiring dinosaur coaches that players don't want to play for either. I just think that, despite his good drafting, the franchise would be well served to move on from him. I'm expecting his next coachin g hire to be Mike Keenan.

38 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am probably a bit late to the party , but my understanding is Babs wanted to see pictures of each players summer lifestyles, and maybe display them for the team to see as a whole...but if my boss asked to see my phone pics and then displayed them to the staff, i would be pissed. 

That seems like all this is about. not really a show, just an old guy trying to be tech savvy and missed the mark on human respect of privacy.

Apparently, it was a two way street. Babcock shared his family photos too.

It isn’t any different from me asking my co-workers,”How was your vacation? Take any photos? May I see them?” 

Is this the end of Paul Bissonette's career?  Will he be sued into oblivion?

Blue Jackets' Mike Babcock, Boone Jenner deny malicious intent in phone incident (msn.com)

Babcock and Jenner each released statements via the Blue Jackets, claiming the meeting has been grossly mischaracterized.

“While meeting with our players and staff I asked them to share, off their phones, family pictures as part of the process of getting to know them better. There was absolutely nothing more to it than that,” Babcock said.

“The way this was portrayed on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast was a gross misrepresentation of those meetings and extremely offensive. These meetings have been very important and beneficial, not only for me but for our players and staff as well, and to have them depicted like this is irresponsible and completely inaccurate.”

Jenner echoed his coach's feelings, claiming the pictures helped the two get off on the right foot ahead of the new season.

“While meeting with Babs he asked me about my family and where I’m from, my upcoming wedding and hockey-related stuff,” Jenner said. “He then asked if I had pictures of my family and I was happy to share some with him. He showed me pictures of his family.

“I thought it was a great first meeting and good way for us to start to build a relationship. To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing.”

Star Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau backed Babcock and Jenner publicly, saying the allegations were "shocking" to him and that his interactions with his new coach have only been positive.

“Personally, I had a great meeting with him,” Gaudreau told ESPN's Kristen Shilton on Tuesday. “We got to share things together, pictures of our family. I was a little upset to see the way it was handled and how it came out ... but nothing you can do about it. We got off to a great start, had a great meeting with him and looking forward to working together.”

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also chimed in on the allegations.

“We followed up with the club, and I know the Players’ Association has followed up directly with the players,” Daly told NHL.com's Nick Cotsonika. “What was being reported by Paul Bissonette — or at least his characterizations of what transpired — isn’t consistent with what the players are reporting to the Players’ Association, including that none of them felt that the interactions were at all inappropriate or improper.”

Asked if the NHL is currently satisfied that “this a non-issue,” Daly responded: “At this point, yes.”

5 hours ago, Jack Gordon said:

With zero evidence, Mike Commodore calls Mike Babcock a pervert and states as a matter of fact that Babcock is doing exactly what he did in Toronto and Detroit.  He also states as a matter of fact that Mike Babcock is abusing Adam Fantilli.  

This could go down as the biggest lawsuit in NHL history if Babcock decides to pursue this.  He probably won't, even though he may have the backing of the Columbus Blue Jackets.  But I would bet big money that this is going to blow up in these guys faces and repercussions will happen soon...

• Haha 1