The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

so "asking" to see your family photo is crossing the line nowadays?? if he demanded to see it and threatened to punish people for it then ya sure maybe.. you can politely say no i have too many personal photos or i don't feel comfortable sharing it? if he continue to push for it then ya sure.. all i see out of this is people that hated babcock spell blood in the water and blow this way out of proportion.. if my boss ask me to see photos on my phone.. i'll probably ask what for.. and depending on the answer i may say yes or no? if i say no what's he going to do? fire me? 

• Like 1

i also have issue with the player that "leaked" the info to not go to the management annoymously first.. but decides to leak it to biz.. this 100% was done with ill intent to hopefully stir it into a big deal and get babs fired because he probably doesn't want to play for babs. if you have issue at work.. isn't the first thing you do is report to HR? and not go to the news outlet?? babs probably shouldn't have asked to see photos he probably should have like well i would love to know you all better.. here's some photos of me with my family etc etc.. if you would like to share feel free to share with us and your team mates in like a team meeting or team bonding session.

• Like 1

Hmmm

Dreger seems to think Babs is gonna be fired.

The NHL and NHLPA will meet Friday to discuss the next steps of the investigation into allegations of invasion of privacy levied against Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Mike Babcock, according to multiple reports.

The meeting was already scheduled before the Babcock situation came to light, with a number of rote league items also on the agenda.

Barstool’s Paul Bissonnette reported Tuesday on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast that Babcock had asked to see photos on his players’ phones before displaying them on his office television via AirPlay. Bissonnette mentioned Blue Jackets captain Boone Jenner by name, which led Babcock and Jenner to put out a joint statement through the team that vehemently denied the severity of Bissonnette’s allegations. Columbus star Johnny Gaudreau also came to his bench boss's defense.

Bissonnette hasn’t backed down, standing by his sources while sharing screenshots of unnamed NHL players that allegedly corroborate his report.

NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh and assistant executive director Ron Hainsey met with Blue Jackets players to discuss the alleged incidents, with Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reporting the meeting was "intense."

Friedman also stated the NHL and NHLPA were initially satisfied there was no wrongdoing, but things changed when it was revealed that "some of the younger Blue Jackets were uncomfortable with what had occurred."

When asked on a radio program about the incident, TSN's Darren Dreger said it was plausible Babcock could be dismissed as Blue Jackets head coach.

“Based on the information that has been discovered and percolated to the surface in the last 48 hours, I think there's a chance Babcock's job could be in question,” Dreger said, while making the distinction that he’s not officially reporting or predicting a Babcock firing.

Babcock is no stranger to controversy. During his tenure as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the 60-year-old infamously asked Mitch Marner to rank his teammates’ work ethic, then shared the list with the team against Marner’s will. Johan Franzen, who starred for the Detroit Red Wings under Babcock’s watch, called his former head coach “the worst person” he’s ever met.

Babcock was hired by the Blue Jackets on July 1 and had been out of the league since being fired by the Maple Leafs in November 2019. He previously won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings and is a member of the Triple Gold Club.

NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh and assistant executive director Ron Hainsey met with Blue Jackets players to discuss the alleged incidents, with Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reporting the meeting was "intense."

Meeting intensified once Babcock entered the room and asked to see Marty and Ron's phones :ph34r:

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm

Dreger seems to think Babs is gonna be fired.

The NHL and NHLPA will meet Friday to discuss the next steps of the investigation into allegations of invasion of privacy levied against Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Mike Babcock, according to multiple reports.

The meeting was already scheduled before the Babcock situation came to light, with a number of rote league items also on the agenda.

Barstool’s Paul Bissonnette reported Tuesday on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast that Babcock had asked to see photos on his players’ phones before displaying them on his office television via AirPlay. Bissonnette mentioned Blue Jackets captain Boone Jenner by name, which led Babcock and Jenner to put out a joint statement through the team that vehemently denied the severity of Bissonnette’s allegations. Columbus star Johnny Gaudreau also came to his bench boss's defense.

Bissonnette hasn’t backed down, standing by his sources while sharing screenshots of unnamed NHL players that allegedly corroborate his report.

Friedman also stated the NHL and NHLPA were initially satisfied there was no wrongdoing, but things changed when it was revealed that "some of the younger Blue Jackets were uncomfortable with what had occurred."

When asked on a radio program about the incident, TSN's Darren Dreger said it was plausible Babcock could be dismissed as Blue Jackets head coach.

“Based on the information that has been discovered and percolated to the surface in the last 48 hours, I think there's a chance Babcock's job could be in question,” Dreger said, while making the distinction that he’s not officially reporting or predicting a Babcock firing.

Babcock is no stranger to controversy. During his tenure as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the 60-year-old infamously asked Mitch Marner to rank his teammates’ work ethic, then shared the list with the team against Marner’s will. Johan Franzen, who starred for the Detroit Red Wings under Babcock’s watch, called his former head coach “the worst person” he’s ever met.

Babcock was hired by the Blue Jackets on July 1 and had been out of the league since being fired by the Maple Leafs in November 2019. He previously won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings and is a member of the Triple Gold Club.

It might just be me, but I find it very strange a person would ask to see personal photos of someone they are only meeting for the first time. And if it's a boss (seems to me the coach is the direct boss of the players and control their ice times and such) then there is a power dynamic involved too. 

I'm thinking Babcock will have to be let go. If he stays the Columbus room would be a very uncomfortable place. Even with him gone it's likely to be a struggle in their room to build trust. There were players who went outside their club with issues, specifically to the media. Might make it hard to have a normal room if other players are concerned there are guys in the room who will say stuff (that should be private) to the media. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Based on what has come out so far, I don't think there was any malicious intent behind Babcock's poor attempt to establish a rapport. For the most part it seems the older and more established guys didn't think much of it other than maybe being a little odd/forced. However, it's easy to see why younger players would be much more uncomfortable and feel like it might be workplace abuse. It will be interesting to see what comes of the joint meeting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Based on what has come out so far, I don't think there was any malicious intent behind Babcock's poor attempt to establish a rapport. For the most part it seems the older and more established guys didn't think much of it other than maybe being a little odd/forced. However, it's easy to see why younger players would be much more uncomfortable and feel like it might be workplace abuse. It will be interesting to see what comes of the joint meeting. 

Who leaked this info? Obviously the players don't like it or trust him.  Inside job.  

This is a train wreck that a team doesn't need before the preseason.   Thank goodness it seems Nux cleaned it up this season (so far so good).  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Pretty much.  Which means there is going to be a huge problem in the dressing room moving forward.  The captain and their star player both said everything was fine, now we find out the "kids" didn't like it.  So, who will be running the dressing room, the adults or the kids?  Big problems coming with Columbus, regardless of whether they fire Babcock or not.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Who leaked this info? Obviously the players don't like it or trust him.  Inside job.  

This is a train wreck that a team doesn't need before the preseason.   Thank goodness it seems Nuc cleaned it up this season (so far so good).  

Thank God Vancouver cleaned up their mess in the dressing room.  Columbus looks like they have a huge problem on their hands.  What is Boone Jenner, the captain going to do now that he stuck up for Babcock?  And so did little Johnny.  That team is a train wreck right now...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank God Vancouver cleaned up their mess in the dressing room.  Columbus looks like they have a huge problem on their hands.  What is Boone Jenner, the captain going to do now that he stuck up for Babcock?  And so did little Johnny.  That team is a train wreck right now...

That's on them for hiring a coach with a ton of baggage.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

On 9/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, DeNiro said:

Only way he motivates guys is by berating and belittling them. The guy is a bully, just ask Franzen.

He’s a dinosaur and should have gone the way of Keenan years ago. He’s not even a good coach he’s just been fortunate enough to be part of great teams.

This. How many Jack Adams for this arrogant twit? Karma is a beetch and it has come to pay Babcock a visit.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

More dark speculation on the Babsy boo-boo...

That’s perfect. I think Columbus should just get rid of everyone. Start from scratch. And then Boone Jenner and little Johnny can demand a trade out of that sorry ass franchise. 

I’ll gladly take Boone Jenner to be our 3C.  I’d do Beauviller and a prospect for Jenner. 

The funniest part about all of this is that the “kids” literally share their entire life stories on social media on a daily basis but are weirded out when they are asked for some family photos off their phones.  All Babcock needed to do was ask Adam Fantilli what his Instagram handle was and he could get all the personal pics he needed right from the public site. Too funny. 

• There it is 1

46 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

More dark speculation on the Babsy boo-boo...

It was really weird what Babcock did. He doesn't even know a lot of the players, and if he does know some of them it's highly likely it's not well enough to be sharing family photos. 

I don't see why the GM and President would be let go though, unless they knew what happened (a player or more than one said something to them about what happened and that it bothered them) and did nothing to address it. 

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s perfect. I think Columbus should just get rid of everyone. Start from scratch. And then Boone Jenner and little Johnny can demand a trade out of that sorry ass franchise. 

I’ll gladly take Boone Jenner to be our 3C.  I’d do Beauviller and a prospect for Jenner. 

The funniest part about all of this is that the “kids” literally share their entire life stories on social media on a daily basis but are weirded out when they are asked for some family photos off their phones.  All Babcock needed to do was ask Adam Fantilli what his Instagram handle was and he could get all the personal pics he needed right from the public site. Too funny. 

Unless you were in the room you don't know what actually happened any more than the rest of us do. Why don't we wait until we find out more before making definitive pronouncements?

The scuttlebutt from ex-players coming out today isn't great. Most recently Aaron Ward said on TSN that from what he is hearing this is definitely a fireable offense.

I personally think Babcock probably doesn't think he has done anything wrong and he is bewildered by all of the hubbub. But then, he is a narcissistic psychopath so he wouldn't necessarily have the tools to figure it out. 

Edited by Jack Gordon
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3