The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With zero evidence, Mike Commodore calls Mike Babcock a pervert and states as a matter of fact that Babcock is doing exactly what he did in Toronto and Detroit.  He also states as a matter of fact that Mike Babcock is abusing Adam Fantilli.  

This could go down as the biggest lawsuit in NHL history if Babcock decides to pursue this.  He probably won't, even though he may have the backing of the Columbus Blue Jackets.  But I would bet big money that this is going to blow up in these guys faces and repercussions will happen soon...

How much money are we talking about here?

1 minute ago, Jack Gordon said:

How much money are we talking about here?

In the USA, these types of lawsuits usually land in the millions.  Defamation, calling someone a pervert with zero evidence.  Accusing Babcock of abusing Adam Fantilli.  What if Fantilli comes out and says everything was fine?  If that happens, this guy is screwed IMO...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In the USA, these types of lawsuits usually land in the millions.  Defamation, calling someone a pervert with zero evidence.  Accusing Babcock of abusing Adam Fantilli.  What if Fantilli comes out and says everything was fine?  If that happens, this guy is screwed IMO...

Every one of these creeps that has been kicked out of the game in recent years has protested his innocence. 

I really think we ought to wait and see how it plays out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Us old guys know weird too.

Babcock is a creep and should be banned from all positions of authority.

I don't buy it...  

This has misleading labeled all over it. 

What do you think he was trying to do, get someone's dick pics off their phone? 

While it's possible the initial reports were overblown, I wouldn't put it past the PR department in any hockey organization to try and sweep this under the rug and downplay what really happened. 

At this point who knows, but if story comes out that there is indeed more to this than the official statements, I wouldn't be surprised. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

While it's possible the initial reports were overblown, I wouldn't put it past the PR department in any hockey organization to try and sweep this under the rug and downplay what really happened. 

At this point who knows, but if story comes out that there is indeed more to this than the official statements, I wouldn't be surprised. 

The NHL and all their creeps do a fantastic job of sweeping 'stuff' under the carpet and getting it to stay there.

I would prefer they work as diligently to weed out these creeps and help end this behaviour instead of hiding it.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

But what could there be? Was he trying to get pics of someone drinking this summer? Having sex? Like what are we implying that he was trying to do here? 

30 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Actually I think we do know what happened.  The coach, who struggles with connecting with his players off the ice, tried to use sharing family photos as a way to bridge the gap. Yes, it’s strange to share photos with people we don’t know. But nothing nefarious was going on. 
Any player who leaked private meeting information with this Biz idiot should be cut from the club. Don’t want that kind of scum (who’s so closely connected with scum) in the room. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually I think we do know what happened.  The coach, who struggles with connecting with his players off the ice, tried to use sharing family photos as a way to bridge the gap. Yes, it’s strange to share photos with people we don’t know. But nothing nefarious was going on. 
Any player who leaked private meeting information with this Biz idiot should be cut from the club. Don’t want that kind of scum (who’s so closely connected with scum) in the room. 

When you’re old like us you should know better than try to use new(ish) technology to bridge the gap with the current generation. It is like politicians rapping. 
Nobody enjoys it, it comes off as horribly inauthentic and uncomfortable.

These guys grow up on social media with their phone in their hands all the time. We don’t even understand the language anymore. 
Babcock needed to try to be authentic with the players. Show them that he is a guy who grew up with hockey and has lived and breathed it at a high level his entire life. Social media has given a bad impression of him and he can’t win that war in that arena.

I think this was genuinely an attempt to try to show his team that he is not everything he has been made out to be (though he is a lot of it) but was done clumsily.  This is also  blown out of proportion by Bisonette who really is just trying to take a shock jock approach to jacking up clicks and has a personal dislike of Babcock. 

• There it is 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yep pretty much what Jenner said. I guess there's no problem taking the official statements in face value. In any event my faith that hockey organizations are going to be transparent in stories (like or similar to these) are currently in an all time low .

Edited by iinatcc
  • Vintage 1

I don't think a boss/coach that you're going to be spending a ton of time with over the course of the year is out of line in trying to get to know you better by seeing some of your family photos. I've shared photos of my family and pets with my co-workers including my boss.

However, putting someone on the spot without warning could be uncomfortable, simply because, if they are anything like me, they might have a bunch of photos that they would rather not display for everyone to see, and unless you keep your photos organized in to nice little albums, they're all mixed together. I'm not talking nude photos or anything like that (I'm not that dumb, maybe some players are lol) but just personal family photos that I'd rather keep private. At the very least, the players should have been asked ahead of time to prepare a few photos that they were happy to share.

This just feels more clumsy than nefarious to me. I feel a little bad for Babcock if that's the case.