The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

I think there is more to this than originally reported, thus the legs it has. I'm hearing Babcock actually asked the younger player, not sure who, to hand over his phone so Babs could look at it. Speculation, but if true, that's not gonna fly. Babs is in a position of power, especially over a young player, and this is an abuse of power. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was really weird what Babcock did. He doesn't even know a lot of the players, and if he does know some of them it's highly likely it's not well enough to be sharing family photos. 

I don't see why the GM and President would be let go though, unless they knew what happened (a player or more than one said something to them about what happened and that it bothered them) and did nothing to address it. 

I I had to guess I would say Jarmo and JD's names are probably being thrown out there because Babcock announced his retirement from coaching and the NHL thought they were rid of one of their 'problematic' personalities only to have these guys reach out and drag him back into the game. I think it's fair to say there were many people out there who were not supportive of the move, fans, players, management types, and league officials alike.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so "asking" to see your family photo is crossing the line nowadays?? if he demanded to see it and threatened to punish people for it then ya sure maybe.. you can politely say no i have too many personal photos or i don't feel comfortable sharing it? if he continue to push for it then ya sure.. all i see out of this is people that hated babcock spell blood in the water and blow this way out of proportion.. if my boss ask me to see photos on my phone.. i'll probably ask what for.. and depending on the answer i may say yes or no? if i say no what's he going to do? fire me? 

What I heard today on NHL Network, speculation, is Babs asked the player to hand the phone over. That's weird, if true.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I think there is more to this than originally reported, thus the legs it has. I'm hearing Babcock actually asked the younger player, not sure who, to hand over his phone so Babs could look at it. Speculation, but if true, that's not gonna fly. Babs is in a position of power, especially over a young player, and this is an abuse of power. 

You also hear from ex-players that this old behavior from Babcock; that it's the same old Babs etc. This came out on the original Spittin Chiclets report.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jack Gordon said:

You also hear from ex-players that this old behavior from Babcock; that it's the same old Babs etc. This came out on the original Spittin Chiclets report.

Exactly. Enemies are sometimes born, but mostly they are made. Babs has a lot of enemies so it stands to reason they are enemies for a reason. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I I had to guess I would say Jarmo and JD's names are probably being thrown out there because Babcock announced his retirement from coaching and the NHL thought they were rid of one of their 'problematic' personalities only to have these guys reach out and drag him back into the game. I think it's fair to say there were many people out there who were not supportive of the move, fans, players, management types, and league officials alike.

That would be epic. Jarmo is one of the more respected GM's out there.

• Cheers 1

If it was indeed a "hand over your phone" scenario, then that's a real invasion of privacy. Everyone has stuff on their phone that they don't want other people to see. Your phone is your life, especially for younger people, and there could be so much compromising info on it.

If it was a "can you show me a few family photos" scenario with the players volunteering the photos, I don't see that as a big deal as long as they picked the photos.

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

What I heard today on NHL Network, speculation, is Babs asked the player to hand the phone over. That's weird, if true.

That’s abusive if true. Asking to share family photos with people we barely know is weird. But taking control of that person’s phone is 100% wrong. That’s going from weird to abusive. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This whole thing has already made one 360 turn and I feel like it's going to keep spinning.  At this point if I'm Jarmo I would just take the L and move on.  This whole thing is a pure circus show.

Their room is going to be a mess. All players are going to keep their mouths zipped because they can’t trust one of their teammates will report things to the media, specifically Biz. 

12 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This whole thing has already made one 360 turn and I feel like it's going to keep spinning.  At this point if I'm Jarmo I would just take the L and move on.  This whole thing is a pure circus show.

If Jarmo tries to be proactive and fire Babcock I think he would have some 'splainin' to do to his owner about the $4M x 2 owed.

I'm sure the team would prefer Babcock be banned outright by the league and the deal voided, though I guess a lawsuit would likely ensue.

It's quite a mess they have created for themselves, as you say.

Edited by Jack Gordon
typo

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Their room is going to be a mess. All players are going to keep their mouths zipped because they can’t trust one of their teammates will report things to the media, specifically Biz. 

The players would need to meet and clear the air. The Johnsons and Fantillis are the future of that team.

If it does turn out the kids were dealt with differently, that would matter.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

If Jarmo tries to be proactive and fire Babcock I think he would have some 'splainin' to do to his owner about the $4M x 2 owed.

I'm sure the team would prefer the contract be banned outright by the league and the deal voided, though I guess a lawsuit would likely ensue.

It's quite a mess they have created for themselves, as you say.

If he stays the whole team (including Babs) is gonna be walking on eggshells all season long.  That's no way to run a club.

They would have to go 82-0 and even then people will ask why this kid got benched or something like that.  It'll just always boil down to "is the coach still a psycho"

• There it is 1