The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

The Jackets and their management look awful in all of this. They hired Babcock despite his history. Then when first sign of misconduct was reported, it took them a day to put out that statement supporting Babcock. They showed their players that don't actually care about their well being. They also made their captain to look like a weak leader and a shill for management. The same goes for the NHLPA, their primary responsibility is to their union members but they too initially chose to side with the team.

There are no winners in this scenario except maybe the guys that broke this story. I actually don't think Babcock meant any ill intent when this all went down. I think he is just an out of touch 60 year old man, who does not understand that there is a way to do this without making people uncomfortable. If he understood the way the kids in this generation use technology he would not have put them on the spot and asked them to pull up images on their phones. The way to do this was to speak to the players before hand, ask them to send the photos that they were comfortable with sharing to the IT department so they could set up a meeting where everyone got to know each other. I think Babcock is done after this debacle there is no way he gets another job in the NHL again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This is a message from the players plain and simple: We don’t want you coaching in this league.

The cancel culture people will be up in arms but this isn’t about cancel culture. This is about players stepping up and saying enough is enough. There’s a way to treat professional players at this level and he hasn’t figured out how to do it and never will.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:09 AM, Diamonds said:

The allegations are that he's asking to see players phones then transferring their photos to his computer. Apparently under the guise of wanting to know them better but also sounds like it could be for blackmail down the road.

Personally I would be very surprised if this is true, especially since Babcock knows he's skating on thin ice.

Ewwwwwwwwwww.... so if I understood this correctly.... basically, Babcock could get hold of players' intimate photos with their partners and..... get some pleasure himself????

On 9/16/2023 at 10:15 AM, RWJC said:

You’d have to think Kek is on the hot seat with this too. CBJ has struggled under his recent tenure. And some fan faves and locker room leaders moved out as part of his decision making. 

If Cock resigns , which he has , doesn't that mean they don't have to pay him his 8 million ?

Kek might survive if ownership doesn't have to pay his full salary 

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If Cock resigns , which he has , doesn't that mean they don't have to pay him his 8 million ?

Kek might survive if ownership doesn't have to pay his full salary 

Apparently CBJ ownership has since mentioned that Kek and Davidson are safe from any repercussions/fallout 

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:52 AM, Down by the River said:

Absolutely batshit crazy that the GM is thanking Babcock for his professionalism. 

Stepping down, definitely the lone professional thing he's done in the back half of his career

Edited by Neil HD