The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

2 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I agree with this completely Warhippy. It will all come out in the wash, let's say.

We're all just spitballing here.

Even corrado's message conveys that middle of the road approach.

While he has not had good experiences with him and doubts him; he even suggests that the truth is in the middle.

Until such time as something comes out from one of the multitude of players and insanely high level prospect suggested that counteract what Gaudreau, Jenner, CBJ brass and the league have found or investigated and appear to have found I can't back either party for any reason.

The numbers need to be there for me to make the case of he hasn't changed or not.  TBH, I have looked in to comments or statements about his college team as some sort of leveler here but none are to be found so I have to be a bit more measured until the evidence suggests otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Even corrado's message conveys that middle of the road approach.

While he has not had good experiences with him and doubts him; he even suggests that the truth is in the middle.

Until such time as something comes out from one of the multitude of players and insanely high level prospect suggested that counteract what Gaudreau, Jenner, CBJ brass and the league have found or investigated and appear to have found I can't back either party for any reason.

The numbers need to be there for me to make the case of he hasn't changed or not.  TBH, I have looked in to comments or statements about his college team as some sort of leveler here but none are to be found so I have to be a bit more measured until the evidence suggests otherwise.

I heard Corrado say somewhere (he's been on two or three hockey talk shows talking about this story) that this is just a guy with a real anti-social personality trying to 'connect' in a 'human' way but not really being able to pull it off and it just winds up being a really awkward situation. I have come across this type in my years and I think Frankie might be on to something there.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only way he motivates guys is by berating and belittling them. The guy is a bully, just ask Franzen.

He’s a dinosaur and should have gone the way of Keenan years ago. He’s not even a good coach he’s just been fortunate enough to be part of great teams.

Out of all the Babcock stories the Franzen one is the one that bothers me the most. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only way he motivates guys is by berating and belittling them. The guy is a bully, just ask Franzen.

He’s a dinosaur and should have gone the way of Keenan years ago. He’s not even a good coach he’s just been fortunate enough to be part of great teams.

Was Babs the HC of our Gold teams in 2010 and 2014? I think so. In the right situation and years ago he was as the right coach. He WAS a really good coach. But clearly his time has passed. His ideas of connecting to players is just too weird. I’ll give the guy credit for trying to improve but it’s just too damned uncomfortable. Either he sticks to being a complete prickly pear coach (which is what he is) or he just stays out of coaching. Because hes just not a “touchy - feely kind of person. He’s a stone and should just accept it. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jack Gordon said:

I heard Corrado say somewhere (he's been on two or three hockey talk shows talking about this story) that this is just a guy with a real anti-social personality trying to 'connect' in a 'human' way but not really being able to pull it off and it just winds up being a really awkward situation. I have come across this type in my years and I think Frankie might be on to something there.

After seeing the statements on this issue and hearing Corrado talk it's starting to sound like Babcock might be on the autism spectrum and really struggles with knowing what to do in social situations. Obviously that doesn't excuse some of his past behavior, but I thought it was interesting how Frank talked about him being a weird dude and not knowing how to talk to people. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/13/2023 at 2:37 AM, shiznak said:

Apparently, it was a two way street. Babcock shared his family photos too.

It isn’t any different from me asking my co-workers,”How was your vacation? Take any photos? May I see them?” 

Problem is coworker vs boss. If you deny a coworker's request then ok you really have little to lose. If your boss asks for it then the power situation is unequal, is it an ask or a command? Would the player face punishment for not sharing? If it was a work thing that than is fine but this is personal matter and babcock has a noted history of not keeping private things private. 

• Cheers 1

Love Frank Corrado and what he's doing now but the only thing I take issue with is this quote of his ...

"And listen, if Paul Bissonnette is going public with something like that, I have every reason to believe that he got it from a credible source. He’s not going to torpedo his show and his reputation… Like he’s on major television platforms in the United States, he’s not going to sewer himself in that regard."

That's an assumption he's making about Bissonnette along with wanting readers/listeners to just take his word for it ... sorry, not in this day and age of media. There are way too many douchebags posing as credible media that shouldn't get any benefit of the doubt.

Guys put their reputations on the line all the time to stir the pot, and many don't care as long as the money's flowing and listeners are growing.

BUT ... his take on Babcock from experience and what he knows from other guys in the know is most definitely relevant. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Diamonds said:

After seeing the statements on this issue and hearing Corrado talk it's starting to sound like Babcock might be on the autism spectrum and really struggles with knowing what to do in social situations. Obviously that doesn't excuse some of his past behavior, but I thought it was interesting how Frank talked about him being a weird dude and not knowing how to talk to people. 

That was my first thought as well. I have a daughter on the spectrum and she’s smart as could be but socially she is incredibly awkward and sometimes inappropriate. Her brain just isn’t wired for social situations, and the few times we’ve forced her in to uncomfortable social interactions she had such a need to control the situation that it comes across as very controlling and bossy.

If Babcock is on the spectrum (pure speculation) then I feel a little bad for him because he may honestly not realize at all that he’s putting people in very uncomfortable situations. He probably just needs to stop the touchy feely stuff and stick to X’s and O’s. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 2