The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Columbus Blue Jackets investigating Babcock for using players phones to airplay private info

Rate this topic

Odd.

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So that's it?

"Hey [insert player name] you've all this stuff going on?  Sounds awesome, can i see photos?  Oh wait I can cast them on to my tv via airplay?  That's awesome show me how"

Kinda seems like a LOT of narrative pushing on the backs of past behaviour for clicks.  That aint cool.  If this is really all it is, this will put them in eklund territory

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pears said:

If these allegations do turn out to be false then that might be it for Spittin Chiclets. You cannot be making extremely slanderous accusations like that if you aren’t 100% certain they’re legit.  

Agree in theory, but in practice someone became President of the USA with a similar strategy.  They'll still be people to listen to these stories and they've probably gained a ton of visibility.

I don't condone it, but unfortunately the world we live in.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

If these allegations do turn out to be false then that might be it for Spittin Chiclets. You cannot be making extremely slanderous accusations like that if you aren’t 100% certain they’re legit.  

I’m pretty sure Biz has to talked to actual players on Columbus, I don’t think he’d be putting himself out there like this on some flimsy rumour.

Let’s not forget his history here. There’s a reason why his former players have called him out.

“A leopard can’t change its spots”

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m pretty sure Biz has to talked to actual players on Columbus, I don’t think he’d be putting himself out there like this on some flimsy rumour.

Let’s not forget his history here. There’s a reason why his former players have called him out.

“A leopard can’t change its spots”

If 10 years ago or whatever someone told me that Babcock made Mitch Marner write down the names of players on the Leafs who he didn't think worked hard and then ratted Marner out to those teammates, I would have called BS. I would have said that there is no way a professional coach would do something as weird as this. 

The report this morning also sounds like complete BS. But unfortunately, because its Babcock, at this point based on the information that is available I'd say its impossible to rule anything out. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1

It sounds to me like both sides of this story are 100% true.

There's an old dude legitimately trying to be chummy and says, 'hey it would be nicer to see those tiny pictures on the big screen, and they even learned me how to do that technology'.

There are members of a younger generation that feel weird about that, because it's legitimately a little weird.

Intentions and the way they are received can be very different, especially with regard to generational stuff. No chance my dad could tell you why this was weird.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

It sounds to me like both sides of this story are 100% true.

There's an old dude legitimately trying to be chummy and says, 'hey it would be nicer to see those tiny pictures on the big screen, and they even learned me how to do that technology'.

There are members of a younger generation that feel weird about that, because it's legitimately a little weird.

Intentions and the way they are received can be very different, especially with regard to generational stuff. No chance my dad could tell you why this was weird.

I think this is the most fair take so far. I would THINK (and I could be out of bounds with this one) that Babcock knows this is his one and last shot at being in the NHL. A controversy is not what he wants right now, especially when he hasn't even proven his worth yet in Columbus.

Babcock's reputation precedes him and it's not a good one. At the very least he didn't cover up a sexual assault, which is not in any way meant to justify his atrocious treatment of players that he coached. What I meant is there's different tiers of douchebaggery.

One thing for sure is that the hate for Babcock will always come back to haunt him. That is something he can't control, no matter how many 'apologies' he makes. From what it sounds like, his apology sounds very sincere. Yet it doesn't matter because no one is obligated to forgive him, no matter how sincere it may be.

• Cheers 1