The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

I really like where we are going with our defensive prospect pool in general. Just look at the list of players that are currently under our system that can be categorized into three sections:

Mean stay-at-home defensemen: (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler or Rome-type)

1. Sauve

2. Polasek

3. Parent (put him here because he really doesn't belong)

4. Hannay

5. Ellington

Smooth puck-moving defensemen: (Ballard, Hamhuis, Bieksa or Edler-type)

1. Tanev

2. Sulzer

3. Erixon

4. Corrado

5. Price

Smooth offensive defensemen: (Salo, Edler or Ehrhoff-type)

1. Connauton

2. Tommernes

3. McNally

Now, Sauve headmans the category of mean, stay-at-home defenseman. However, that kid just behind him in the ranks is flat out an old-school hockey guy and is the meanest and the baddest defenseman on our system (Hannay is mean, but he really needs to work on his defense) right now: Polasek. This kid flat out hits to hurt and will drop the gloves if challenged.

Can't wait to see this kid on the Canucks on the regular. He has 2 points in 10 games (same amount as Sauve, but played less games), so he has offensive capabilities as well.

Also notice how Edler fits under every category: mean shutdown, smooth puck-moving, and offensive defenseman. That's the makings of a franchise defenseman. Any one of these guys can become one if they develop the other two aspects of the game--some of them already do have more than one of these capabilities, but I categorized them under their pre-dominant characteristics. For example, Sauve can easily fit under both mean shutdown and smooth puck-moving, and Corrado, surprisingly, seems to be the closest at having all three assets. Exciting things to come from these prospects.

Back to Sauve: he will have a couple more years in the AHL to develop his game. I think that's a great place for him to develop because our team has enough depth to keep him there. Most defensemen develop slower anyways, and I see him making the Canucks when he's 23--two years from now, and being an impact player right away. He'll have honed his skills and gotten rid of his bad habits in the AHL and will easily transition to the NHL as the bottom pairing defenseman initially, then earn his ice time from there.

Yeah I think a guy like Sauve is the perfect compliment to an offensive rover like Connauton too. Both mobile and can skate. Polasek does seem to be meaner though. Sauve, I think, used to be a lot more physical than he is now, and who knows if he'll ever be that way again but could with nudges from the coaching staff. I liked what I saw in him when he was called up. He also has some offensive potential within him, and it may take a long time for him to fully realize it but I think of him as Ohlund-lite with better footspeed and the same 30 points production in his prime.

Dasein makes a great point that in general our D-men prospect pool has become very mobile. Erixon, Polasek, Sauve, Tanev, Connauton, Price, Andersson, Corrado, McNally and Tommernes all can skate, and most of them can move the puck well. The days when we used to draft guys like Rahimi with no offensive upside and limited skating are over. Who knows if even half of them will become regulars but improving the overall mobility alone is a job well done by MG as good skating opens up the game to you so much more. Certainly I'd think this current group has more potential than past prospects.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While his +/- is encouraging his point totals are awful considering he was at around a 30 point pace last season coming off of injury in his rookie year.

I was hoping for 30-40 from him by the end of the season, not 10. Is it because his role has changed on the team or has he declined?

well with Hodgson gone, Sauve looks like the only promising player to come out of the 08 MG era draft

Hodgson-traded...f*ck

Rai-Constant injury problems and inability to make the pros (questionable)

Froshaug (who knows whats going to happen to him)

Clark- good Lord why did we waste a pick on him

Sauve- last remaining guy to have a legitimate shot at making the Canucks. Sauve still needs to clean up his mental mistakes in his own zone...from the replays i've seen and few games i've watched, he is physically ready as well all know, but his decision making is still lagging behind...its improving and will be a slow learning curve for him. I'm really hopeful for this guy, he reminds me of a lot of Dion Phaneuf in his game without the offensive prowless.

<p>

well with Hodgson gone, Sauve looks like the only promising player to come out of the 08 MG era draft

Hodgson-traded...f*ck

Sauve- last remaining guy to have a legitimate shot at making the Canucks.  Sauve still needs to clean up his mental mistakes in his own zone...from the replays i've seen and few games i've watched, he is physically ready as well all know, but his decision making is still lagging behind...its improving and will be a slow learning curve for him.  I'm really hopeful for this guy, he reminds me of a lot of Dion Phaneuf in his game without the offensive prowless.

Sauve is that big right side dman that the Canucks still need. Canucks coaching might not agree with that idea as their puck possession game with a fast counter seems to be their direction. That might work better if they bulk up their wingers and they carry the physical side of the game.

Guest Dasein

<p>

Sauve is that big right side dman that the Canucks still need. Canucks coaching might not agree with that idea as their puck possession game with a fast counter seems to be their direction. That might work better if they bulk up their wingers and they carry the physical side of the game.

He shoots left.

Hodgson-traded...f*ck

Sauve- last remaining guy to have a legitimate shot at making the Canucks. Sauve still needs to clean up his mental mistakes in his own zone...from the replays i've seen and few games i've watched, he is physically ready as well all know, but his decision making is still lagging behind...its improving and will be a slow learning curve for him. I'm really hopeful for this guy, he reminds me of a lot of Dion Phaneuf in his game without the offensive prowless.

Rai was never gonna be an NHLer. He's just a feel-good story because he's a local kid. If he was from Middle-of-Nowhere Manitoba, nobody on CDC would care much.

With Froshaug it seems that injury did delay his progress a couple of years back. He's still a long-shot for the NHL, best case scenario would be him being like Jannik Hansen.

Drafting Clark was just a gesture for Ian Clark to have his son drafted by an NHL team.

As for Sauve, he's got so much raw talent. For all prospect game, he's usually flying out there being a dominant force, so at least we know he can play well with more confidence. Hopefully the Canucks can groom him to be a Komisarek or Beauchemin type player.

With his lack of offense, the Moose and now Chicago Wolves have been playing a tight-checking system with minimal offense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived