The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Polasek | D

b3.

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sigh... disappointing draft for me.

The fact that Bieksa is still breathing in a Canucks uniform disgusts me. I would take a 7th rounder...

Please make it happen.

I want Bieksa gone as much as the next guy, but Gillis can't trade him until he knows he has a replacement. So if Gillis can sign a Hamhuis, Martin or Michalek, then Bieksa can proceed to trade him.

Listed at 6'1, 180 pounds, Adam Polasek looks bigger both on and off the ice. The Czech has a hard-hitting, and effective, approach to defense. But his skill should not be overlooked. He skates well, has a hard and accurate slapshot, and makes good reads.

At the recent U18 World Championships in Fargo/Moorhead, Polasek played on the top unit and on both special teams. He finished the tournament second on his team in scoring with five points in six games, and was the only Czech player on the plus side, at +1. Despite logging a lot of minutes, his play did not fall off as the tournament went on.

In the 2008-09 regular season, Polasek had 20 points in 38 games for Vitkovice Ostrava in the Czech junior league.

Polasek is young for the 2009 draft class, not turning 18 until July 12. And the U18s have helped Polasek's stock. ISS has ranked Polasek 120th on their April (post-tournament) list, and cited him as a riser.

"[Polasek] likes to rush the puck and has good hands that allow him to make good space for himself," ISS wrote. "He is able to block lanes well in his own end, but can get a little too focused on the puck at times. He logged a ton of minutes for the Czechs, especially in the late minutes of games, and was often matched up against other countries' top players."

Central Scouting has Polasek at 52nd on the European skaters final list (finished before the tournament).

Hockey's Future spoke to Polasek after a round-robin game at the U18s, his first time in the United States. Teammate Robin Soudek of the Edmonton Oil Kings translated.

HF: How do you like playing on the smaller ice as a defenseman?

AP: It isn't so hard, but in the defensive zone you don't have much time to make a good pass. In the offensive zone you have more time than in Europe. So it's not bad.

HF: Do you consider yourself more of an offensive defenseman or defensive defenseman?

AP: In Czech, I'm an offensive defenseman, but here at the tournament I have to play more defensively.

HF: Why do you have to be more defensive, is it what your coach wants?

AP: The opponents are better, so the coach tells us to play more defensively.

HF: But you scored a goal today.

AP: The goal I scored I shot from the blue line so it wasn't from an odd-man rush or anything like that. It was a defensive goal, so it's OK.

HF: If you make it to the NHL, do you think you will be more offensive or defensive?

AP: (laughs) If I would make it, I would see what the team wants and play my best.

HF: You laughed, do you think it's crazy that you'd make it?

AP: It's a small chance. We'll see what happens.

HF: But there's lots of scouts here today and you played well.

AP: Thanks. I hope someone saw me and will take me in the draft.

HF: Do you consider your slap shot one of your best assets?

AP: It's a plus, but I don't have so much time here, so if I can, I shoot.

HF: You also play physically, is that one of your best assets too?

AP: I like to be physical and it's no problem for me. I try to make a hit at all times on the ice. I like that.

HF: What do you still need to work on in your game to get better?

AP: I have to play quicker, like making passes. Work on everything -- skating, shooting, playing physical. I'm only starting my career.

HF: Your partner in the tournament is Jakub Jerabek, how do you like playing with him?

AP: I've played with him for a long time on the national team so I know where he is on the ice, and I like that.

HF: Have you talked to any NHL scouts this year?

AP: I haven't talked to anyone personally, but some have sent messages to my agent (Newport).

HF: Next year do you want to stay in the Czech Republic or try the CHL?

AP: I want to try the CHL.

HF: Have you talked to any CHL teams?

AP: Yes, but I can't remember which teams.

HF: Have you had any major injuries in your career?

AP: I had an operation on my left shoulder two years ago. I couldn't play for three months. That's the only one.

One thing that I've noticed, is that when European players are given the opportunity to do an interview in their own language, they do a much better job than North American players do when speaking in their own language.

First off even if he was related to Libor what does it matter.

Does anyone even remember the draft when Pat Quinn went off the board to take Libor Polesek.

Vancouver had the 21st pick overall that year at that time Vancouver needed a big center (especially because we were always playing Calgary and Joel Otto or Edmonton Mark Messier. So the pick made sence.

Center Born Apr 22 1974 -- Novy Jicin, Czech Height 6.04 -- Weight 226 -- Shoots L

Libor Still Played Hockey though: just not here...

1992-93 Hamilton Canucks AHL 60 7 12 19 34 ----------

1993-94 Hamilton Canucks AHL 76 11 12 23 40 3 0 0 0 0

1994-95 South Carolina Stingrays ECHL 7 0 0 0 6 ----------

1994-95 Syracuse Crunch AHL 45 2 8 10 16 ----------

1995-96 Syracuse Crunch AHL 8 0 2 2 6 ----------

1995-96 Vitkovice HC Czech 19 4 5 9 26 3 0 0 0 2

1996-97 Slavia Praha HC Czech 12 3 1 4 55 ----------

1996-97 Vitkovice HC Czech 23 4 4 8 66 ----------

1997-98 Vitkovice HC Czech 48 10 9 19 56 11 3 4 7 24

1998-99 Vitkovice HC Czech 8 2 1 3 39 ----------

1998-99 Opava HC Czech 35 5 6 11 80 ----------

1999-00 Vitkovice HC Czech 27 7 8 15 42 ----------

2000-01 Vitkovice HC Czech 36 3 6 9 54 ----------

2000-01 Plzen HC Czech 10 2 1 3 6 ----------

2001-02 Zilina HK-SKP Slovak 13 0 0 0 10

2003-04 Zvolen HKm Slovak 45 5 11 16 69 17 2 2 4 39

2004-05 Kosice HC Slovak 15 0 0 0 22

2004-05 Dubnica Spartak HC Slovak 19 0 1 1 10

2005-06 Vsetin HC Czech 2 0 0 0 0 ---------

On top of all that who else could we have selected (it's not like we selected a player who had died before the draft like Calgary did a few years ago.)

Round 1 NHL Totals Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM

1 21 Vancouver Libor Polasek C Vitkovice [Czech.]

1 22 Detroit Curtis Bowen L Ottawa 67's [OHL]

1 23 Toronto Grant Marshall R Ottawa 67's [OHL] 700 92 147 239 793

1 24 NY Rangers Peter Ferraro R Waterloo Black Hawks [uSHL] 92 9 15 24 58

Round 2 Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM

2 25 Ottawa Chad Penney L North Bay Centennials [OHL] 3 0 0 0 2

2 26 Tampa Bay Drew Bannister D Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 164 5 25 30 161

2 27 Winnipeg Boris Mironov D CSKA Moscow [Russia] 716 76 231 307 891

2 28 Quebec Paul Brousseau R Hull Olympiques [QMJHL] 26 1 3 4 29

2 29 Quebec Tuomas Gronman D Tacoma Rockets [WHL] 38 1 3 4 38

2 30 Calgary Chris O'Sullivan D Catholic Memorial H.S. (Mass.) 62 2 17 19 16

2 31 Philadelphia Denis Metlyuk L Tolyatti Lada [Russia]

2 32 Washington Jim Carey G Catholic Memorial H.S. (Mass.) 172 0 1 1 8

2 33 Mtl. Canadiens Valeri Bure R Spokane Chiefs [WHL] 621 174 226 400 221

2 34 Minnesota Jarkko Varvio R HPK Hameenlinna [FNL] 13 3 4 7 4

2 35 Buffalo Jozef Cierny L ZTK Zvolen (Czech.) 1 0 0 0 0

2 36 Chicago Jeff Shantz C Regina Pats [WHL] 642 72 139 211 341

2 37 Edmonton Martin Reichel F Freiburg EHC [Ger.1]

2 38 St. Louis Igor Korolev C Moscow Dynamo [Russia] 795 119 227 346 330

2 39 Los Angeles Justin Hocking D Spokane Chiefs [WHL] 1 0 0 0 0

2 40 Vancouver Mike Peca C Ottawa 67's [OHL] 864 176 289 465 798

So lets see 20/20 vision who could we have taken:

Valeri Bure, Jim Carey, Boris Mirinov, Grant Marshall, Jeff Shantz, Igor Korolev...

So..If we selected Curtis Bowen from the Ottawa 67's would that have been better since he was on the draft list, or maybe Martin Reichel Chad Penny, hey maybe Denis Metlyuk or Josef Cierny

So enough with the Garbage Libor comments.. wow we could have had Bure's brother! Remember we needed a BIG center.

Valeri Bure, Right Wing Russia Height 5.11 -- Weight 179

Jim Carey Goalie USA Height 6.02 -- Weight 190 won the vezina in his second year then disappeared.

Boris Mironov Defense Russia Height 6.03 -- Weight 220,

Grant Marshall Right Wing CAN Height 6.01 -- Weight 200

hmm nope only 2 centers that went onto any type on an NHL Career out of the 18 picks between 21Polesek and 40 Peca

Jeff Shantz Center CAN Height 6.00 -- Weight 184,

Igor Korolev Center Russia Height 6.01 -- Weight 198

Polesek in comparison to these two was a MONSTER!

Libor Polesek Height 6.04 -- Weight 226 -- Shoots L

Hey but what were we thinking: we could have had:

Brent Gretzky - Center

round 3 #49 overall 1992 NHL Entry Draft

Born Feb 20 1972 -- Brantford, ONT

Height 5.11 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots L

13 GP 1 G 3 A 4 P.... wow we would have been so much better!!

this seems like a really solid pick to me, he has great numbers and size. Does anyone know why he fell so low? because looking at his stats and reading things about makes it seem like he should of gone in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought I'd start up a thread for this guy since there's a good chance he'll lace up for the Czech team in the World Juniors in a few weeks.

I totally forgot about Polasek. He's playing for the PEI Rockets right now in the QMJHL. So far he's got 11 PTS in 21 GP and is a plus 2. Looks like he's up to 6'3" 200 pounds now as well.

Sounds like he's a physical puck moving defenceman with a wicked shot. Here's the scouting report on him for those people who forgot about this guy, including me:

Listed at 6'2, 187 pounds, Polasek looks bigger both on and off the ice. The Czech has a hard-hitting, and effective, approach to defense. But his skill should not be overlooked. He skates well, has a hard and accurate slapshot, and makes good reads. Polasek was steady and dependable in his own end and he could quickly read the play and make moves to intercept. Strong on his skates, the 18-year-old has plenty of room to grow.

The only thing I know about him is from NHL 11 and that he has a lot of potential tongue.gif. He's on my top D-line with an overall of 87. So yeah that's all I know haha.

But in reality I do look forward to seeing him in a few years down the road smile.gif

<br />So we'll possibly have Polasek on the Czechs, Andersson on the Swedes, and McNally on the Americans to cheer for from a Canucks POV.  Canada better win gold though.<br />

Does Andersson have a legit shot to make the Swedish team? They usually have alot of talented D-men.

I guess the fact that he's playing in the SEL helps, not to mention he's played at several international tournaments. (won the bronze medal at the U20's recently)

Also had no idea McNally was on USA's radar. Do you know when they announce their invites?

Does Andersson have a legit shot to make the Swedish team? They usually have alot of talented D-men.

I guess the fact that he's playing in the SEL helps, not to mention he's played at several international tournaments. (won the bronze medal at the U20's recently)

Also had no idea McNally was on USA's radar. Do you know when they announce their invites?

no clue, but he was the New England Prep School Defenseman of the Year, U.S. Hockey Report Prep Defenseman of the Year, ranked 40th in Central Scouting's final list, and is a big mobile d-man. I'd think he'd at least be on the radar. the only thing that could hurt him is that his team only played 1 game so far (2 as of tomorrow) and god forbid his school's site would update to show the results/scores. all we know is that they won their first game, but no stats are available for it.

Unfortunately Anderssons year has been disastrous so far... Seems like he's taken a step back and has lost all confidence playing in the SEL.... Usually bench warming or when he slots in he plays 5 mins and plays horrible...

And weren't there something about the Czech WJC team not picking players from the CHL because of hockey politics or something?

It would be great if McNally would get invited to camp at least.

Archived