The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

I would have said Grenier last year, but Archie has been improving his speed to the point where I would call it pretty equal. Maybe Utica Hockey can help answer this question? My "unofficial" opinion of the two. Better to have both. Grenier has the speed and the shot. Arch has the speed, but he adds grit and toughness. Both are good two-way players. Both have good hockey sense. Both will be in Vancouver soon. Both have what it takes to get there...."unofficially", of course.

I would have said Grenier last year, but Archie has been improving his speed to the point where I would call it pretty equal. Maybe Utica Hockey can help answer this question?

I think Grenier is a little quicker but they really are two different players. Grenier has a little more finesse and skill. Grenier can play a east/west game and create opportunities. Archie is a north/south guy that creates opportunities with his physical play. Archie goes to the net well and can finish. Both have an excellent chance of being NHL regulars but I see them playing different roles.

I think Grenier is a little quicker but they really are two different players. Grenier has a little more finesse and skill. Grenier can play a east/west game and create opportunities. Archie is a north/south guy that creates opportunities with his physical play. Archie goes to the net well and can finish. Both have an excellent chance of being NHL regulars but I see them playing different roles.

Thanks for the insight gentlemen, both had a helping hand on the insurance marker for the Comets first home win ever tonight.

Congratulations to Utica! Now if we had only beat the Hawks hear in Van...

By the looks of things Grenier's play is deserving of a call up?

Grenier is getting tons of minutes in all situations in Utica right now and you can see the improvement in his game on both ends of the ice. Keeping him in Utica makes more sense then calling him up to play a limited role with limited minutes. I think he has potential to play on one of the top 3 lines in Vancouver but developing in Utica is probably best for him right now.

Grenier is getting tons of minutes in all situations in Utica right now and you can see the improvement in his game on both ends of the ice. Keeping him in Utica makes more sense then calling him up to play a limited role with limited minutes. I think he has potential to play on one of the top 3 lines in Vancouver but developing in Utica is probably best for him right now.

I agree. CDC fans always seem to think that the Canucks are one player away from a CUP. Either a player like Grenier comes up and blows the opposition away or trade proposals abound with multiple players being packaged a acquire someone else's castoff. Grenier and Corrado might get a look next spring depending on injuries.

We need to start hiring some Utica fans with some AV skills, I have yet to see a decent highlight pack of Grenier with the Comets.

Personally though, I think he has to stay down in Utica for the extent of the season, and put on some weight in the offseason. You can't ignore a guy who is 6'5'' 215+ (right now he's 200).

I think you're right, best stay in Utica until his confidence and skills are ingrained and not a flash in the pan. Maybe putting him in over his head in the NHL will destroy him. Vcr is going no place any way :rolleyes:

If it's AV skills you want, I'm sorry to say that I fail. I had all I could do to figure out how to navigate this page. I do know that the Comets Fan club page now offers video highlights of the Comets games. Check that out 1st for AV of our players.

I make this promise though, I will figure out how to do that AV stuff for you guys. I'd love to share as much of the Comets as I can with our Canuck fans.

Highlights on the AHL website. and theres a thing called comets tv I'm pretty sure.

Grenier should stay in Utica. He's a bright spot for them and needs to show consistency throughout the season to really engrain the steps he has taken. A reasonable expectation for him is .5 - .6 ppg by end of season, and if he exceeds that, smiles for everyone.

He has passed Jensen on the RW prospect chart though,

Makes me wonder if Jensen should be dropped to the ECHL to get more minuets in all situations.

Makes me wonder if Jensen should be dropped to the ECHL to get more minuets in all situations.

Or sent back to a skilled league like the SEL.

Honestly our record for developing skilled players in the AHL is not good. Time to change the strategy. The AHL is a grinders league that teaches players how to be checkers more than anything.

It stunted Grabners development that's for sure. He could have been in the NHL much sooner had he developed in a European league IMO.

Highlights on the AHL website. and theres a thing called comets tv I'm pretty sure.

Grenier should stay in Utica. He's a bright spot for them and needs to show consistency throughout the season to really engrain the steps he has taken. A reasonable expectation for him is .5 - .6 ppg by end of season, and if he exceeds that, smiles for everyone.

He has passed Jensen on the RW prospect chart though,

A few years ago I'd have said no, but lately I am really seeing the benefit of a season in the ECHL. I'd agree that sending Jensen there would be a good idea.

Grenier and Archibald are two players who clearly benefited from it. It's a great league for players to work on their scoring skills.

Jensen's in a delicate situation, and management really needs to think hard about what's best for his development. I know he's only 20, but if he continues to struggle in the AHL, they need to consider a move to SHL, or ECHL as you guys have said. Last thing we want to do is turn him into another checking line player.

Or sent back to a skilled league like the SEL.

Honestly our record for developing skilled players in the AHL is not good. Time to change the strategy. The AHL is a grinders league that teaches players how to be checkers more than anything.

It stunted Grabners development that's for sure. He could have been in the NHL much sooner had he developed in a European league IMO.

The last thing I want to see is Jensen headed back to the SEL. Sure the AHL can grind things out. Isn't a 200' game what is absolutely needed in the NHL? IMO Euro hockey encourages perimeter play and it takes exceptional talent to transition to the NHL as a result. The Canucks don't know what they have in Jensen yet. If he has to play as a 3RW for a season then so be it. Let him learn the whole game not just from center ice. Why would anyone want to ship this kid out of Utica after +/- 20 games? Vancouver bought Utica for players just like Jensen!

I cannot agree with your Grabner comment either. Considering he was sat last week for poor d-zone play is an indicator. Grabner's checkered development goes back to WHL Spokane. Canucks - Panthers and now Islanders is because of spending to much time with the Moose? I can think of two other players, Raymond and Hanson as case histories. I always thought that Raymond was rushed to the NHL and could have developed a better game and as a result still been a Canuck. Hanson on the otherhand spent 3 years in Winnipeg and is recognized as a premium 3rd line winger in the NHL.

The last thing I want to see is Jensen headed back to the SEL. Sure the AHL can grind things out. Isn't a 200' game what is absolutely needed in the NHL? IMO Euro hockey encourages perimeter play and it takes exceptional talent to transition to the NHL as a result. The Canucks don't know what they have in Jensen yet. If he has to play as a 3RW for a season then so be it. Let him learn the whole game not just from center ice. Why would anyone want to ship this kid out of Utica after +/- 20 games? Vancouver bought Utica for players just like Jensen!

I cannot agree with your Grabner comment either. Considering he was sat last week for poor d-zone play is an indicator. Grabner's checkered development goes back to WHL Spokane. Canucks - Panthers and now Islanders is because of spending to much time with the Moose? I can think of two other players, Raymond and Hanson as case histories. I always thought that Raymond was rushed to the NHL and could have developed a better game and as a result still been a Canuck. Hanson on the otherhand spent 3 years in Winnipeg and is recognized as a premium 3rd line winger in the NHL.

Fair points, I think if we are going to continue this we should move to the Jensen thread, really has nothing to do with Grenier.

On that note what do you think Grenier's ceiling will be? He's 22 this year and seems to thrive when given more minuets. I'm curious to see if he gets a call up this year. It would be nice for his development to know where he's at compared to the NHL. As with any prospect though, he's gotta play some minuets or else it's just not really functional for them in games.

Nice to see a prospect over achieving, I think we are due.

Anyone who hasn't seen this profile on Grenier from Nucks Army it's actually fairly accurate based on what's transpired so far this season.

1 thing that stuck out with me is that he did olympic weight training this summer to add some muscle and it seems to be helping his overall game.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/8/15/prospect-profile-12-alexandre-grenier

Fair points, I think if we are going to continue this we should move to the Jensen thread, really has nothing to do with Grenier.

On that note what do you think Grenier's ceiling will be? He's 22 this year and seems to thrive when given more minuets. I'm curious to see if he gets a call up this year. It would be nice for his development to know where he's at compared to the NHL. As with any prospect though, he's gotta play some minuets or else it's just not really functional for them in games.

Nice to see a prospect over achieving, I think we are due.

When was the last time that Van had a ppg player in the AHL. I realize that Grenier isn't there yet but he has shown an ability to get better. + player on a challenged team. I would love seeing him get 2 -3 games with the Canucks. Probably won't happen unless injuries kick in.

It is kinda nice to know that the also rans will be identified in the West a lot earlier this seasons. They were saying on HNIC that teams that trailed a playoff spot by 7 points at the end of November did not make playoffs. Wow! If Van isn't in it then perhaps more experiments take place and players like Grenier get a shot.

Archived