The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

If he signs with Edmonton, it will also be why he likely ends up on the LTIR within the first 2 months. They have no depth and he is not a big body. They will expcet him to be their Shea Weber and the kid has never played against grown men in an 82 game schedule.

Both Hall and RNH have seen some pretty serious injuries because they are thrust into leading roles on the Oilers before they are mature and strong enough to handle the size and speed of the league.

I see the same scenario for Schultz if he chooses guaranteed top 4 minutes over the opportunity to work his way into that position.

HIs agent will likely urge him to go where he gets the most exposure as that will mean a bigger contract when he becomes a UFA in 3 years.

IF he's as good as everyone seems to think, he should show some humility and sign with the team that will best prepare him for a long and successful career. Not a cheap and easy ride to the top where he may succeed but he also may fail.

What a desperate move by the cOilers who have turned into a joke of an organization. Whats next? Are they gonna send the kid some call girls and ferraris? Maybe they will send that lackey Tom Renney over to his parents house to mow their lawn....

You are so full of crap, you don't know what your talking about. Of Course Gillis will not use any words that will make it sound like will not have a top 4 spot. Definelty not ""sign with us and maybe you can work your way into our starting line up""

Gilli's upsell tactic is probably.

We "cannot gaurantee you on the powerplay unit, nor can we gaurantee you top 2 defencemen, because it's something we don't garuantee to any player. Our players earn their spot on the team." He can then go on and say, how Some average joe like Alex Burrows made his way up into a top line winger.

He wil then go on proceeding to say. "Do you want to win.?"

Schultz will answer "yes"

Gillis then say, well if winning means, someone else will get a little more ice time then you. then you shouldn't have a problem with it? because it helps the team win. right?

Shultz will of course say "yes"

MIke Gillis probably knows we don't have 3 first overall picks, he knows, exactly what OIlers will say to convince to join the team. MIke Gillis also is fully prepared to make the best sales pitch to Justin Shultz without using any words that suggests he has no chance at being on top power play unit, or top 2 line. That being said, MIke Gillis would have told him probably more then what he should have, in terms of Gillis building his hockey team, commitment to win, etc etc. I trust Gillis will say the best things possible.

If you ask me, Oilers right now is probably desperate because somehow they know they might not sign him, so they get Coffey and Gretzky to call him, which is f ing hilarious if you ask me. If anythings, PIttsburgh could have gotten Crosby or Malkin to give him a call. Funny as hell. This is more of desperation move by the epic failure of the Oilers organization.

I trust Gillis in this. Wether we sign him or not, Gillis did his best.

- Shorthouse asked the question of the hour as he inquired about the pursuit of Justin Schultz. Mike Gillis said he wasn’t going to talk about any conversations he has had with the Schultz camp. He then added a devious “but perhaps later…” Which was either a sly way of saying “we got him!” or….or nothing. Let’s just pretend it was a sly way of saying we got him.

You are so full of crap, you don't know what your talking about. Of Course Gillis will not use any words that will make it sound like will not have a top 4 spot. Definelty not ""sign with us and maybe you can work your way into our starting line up""

Gilli's upsell tactic is probably.

We "cannot gaurantee you on the powerplay unit, nor can we gaurantee you top 2 defencemen, because it's something we don't garuantee to any player. Our players earn their spot on the team." He can then go on and say, how Some average joe like Alex Burrows made his way up into a top line winger.

He wil then go on proceeding to say. "Do you want to win.?"

Schultz will answer "yes"

Gillis then say, well if winning means, someone else will get a little more ice time then you. then you shouldn't have a problem with it? because it helps the team win. right?

Shultz will of course say "yes"

MIke Gillis probably knows we don't have 3 first overall picks, he knows, exactly what OIlers will say to convince to join the team. MIke Gillis also is fully prepared to make the best sales pitch to Justin Shultz without using any words that suggests he has no chance at being on top power play unit, or top 2 line. That being said, MIke Gillis would have told him probably more then what he should have, in terms of Gillis building his hockey team, commitment to win, etc etc. I trust Gillis will say the best things possible.

If you ask me, Oilers right now is probably desperate because somehow they know they might not sign him, so they get Coffey and Gretzky to call him, which is f ing hilarious if you ask me. If anythings, PIttsburgh could have gotten Crosby or Malkin to give him a call. Funny as hell. This is more of desperation move by the epic failure of the Oilers organization.

I trust Gillis in this. Wether we sign him or not, Gillis did his best.

If he signs with Edmonton, it will also be why he likely ends up on the LTIR within the first 2 months. They have no depth and he is not a big body. They will expcet him to be their Shea Weber and the kid has never played against grown men in an 82 game schedule.

Both Hall and RNH have seen some pretty serious injuries because they are thrust into leading roles on the Oilers before they are mature and strong enough to handle the size and speed of the league.

I see the same scenario for Schultz if he chooses guaranteed top 4 minutes over the opportunity to work his way into that position.

HIs agent will likely urge him to go where he gets the most exposure as that will mean a bigger contract when he becomes a UFA in 3 years.

IF he's as good as everyone seems to think, he should show some humility and sign with the team that will best prepare him for a long and successful career. Not a cheap and easy ride to the top where he may succeed but he also may fail.

I can only assume a few factors play into the decision

Where is the team sitting within the league, top tier, mid or bottom?

What will the team look like once the season starts & where will he fit in?

What will the team look like after the rookie contract is up?

So let’s take a look...

The Canucks are a top tier team and look to stay competitive for some time

The Canucks have room for him to make the team, realistically #5 & on the #2 PP unit with a chance of cracking the #1 PP

After the rookie contract is up he most likely will have cracked the top 4 & be on the #1 PP unit. He will be in a very good position to sign a lucrative second deal.

Playing for his fav team and being close to home is bonus.

The Oilers can give him top 4 mins, if can handle them.

Being bottom feeders they can only go up or sideways. You have to wonder if Schultz is their #4 right off the bat.

Soon the Oil will be faced with the dilemma the Hawks had a while back, how to keep all happy and under the cap.

When will the youngsters make an impact and the Oil be a force? Not sure, I say they are a ways off yet even if they sign Schultz.

So I'm Schultz's agent, I'm leaning toward the Canucks; a far better situation for his client to reach his potential. Early money is the same everywhere; he's playing with one of the best teams in the league learning from winners how to approach the pro game.

Edmonton is flipping coaches & losing as much as they do has to wear after a while.

Gillis gave him an honest presentation; no, I will not guarantee you a spot; you have to earn it. You want to win, then that's they way it has to be! Look at Schneider he got a shot and look what he achieved. You're good, you come and prove it and you will be given what you've earned no more no less. We will give you every chance to succeed.

The Canucks can only be winners in this situation; if he signs with us it shows his commitment to be a winner.

If Schultz signs in Edmonton Vancouver still wins as you don't want a guy unwilling to earn his spot...

Worse yet if he goes to TO you'd have to wonder about his mental state...but if that happens I'll leave the explanation for the Freudian folk....

What a desperate move by the cOilers who have turned into a joke of an organization. Whats next? Are they gonna send the kid some call girls and ferraris? Maybe they will send that lackey Tom Renney over to his parents house to mow their lawn....

rolling out Gretzky and Coffey may have backfired in front of a BC boy - makes one thing clear: they don't need Schultz helping them win any more Stanley Cups - they've had theirs - it\s our turn -come over here, we're closer anyway.

Ouch ... that stings. But I have to agree. From the day MG became our GM one of the things he has emphasized was to make Vancouver a premiere destination for free agents. Having had a very successful player agent career, he knew exactly what NHL players want and made appropriate changes in the Canuck organization.I am sure GMMG had the best presentation of them all. He is confident enough not to have to resort to antics like the Oilers. His confidence is not misplaced. He was able to get the last highly sought after UFA college player to sign here and in less than 2 years developed him into an NHL player.

He looks like he could be an alright 3rd liner here though.

But yeah, Lee wasn't re-signed then he went off to Ottawa but resigned for business. I don't know if he understands Business because its hard it is to make over 500K in business; where he had the chance in hockey.

Archived