Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What Was The Point Of Getting Pahlsson?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 hockey21383

hockey21383

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

So I was just thinking to myself, Why did we get Sami Pahlsson??? We supposedly got him to be a third line checker to check the other teams top line, but that first round against LA we ended up matching our top 2 lines against there's and we clearly lost that battle. I thought the whole point of getting Pahlsson was to do what he did when the Ducks won the cup, which was to check the other teams top line and get them off their game, and the 3rd line didnt play at all against LA's 1st and 2nd lines. Wouldnt it have been better if we just kept 3 scoring lines???? just a little clueless.

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

The point of getting him was to win the cup

lol @ winning the cup

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

To replace Malhotra.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

The point was for depth in the playoffs, just like when MG acquired Higgins and Lapierre. It just turned out that these playoffs didn't last long enough to require depth.
Posted Image

#5 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

He gave us depth at a low cost.

Can't say he played poorly, but he didn't seem to fit in right away.

We've seen many players come in and struggle with our system initially and have success later on (Ballard, Booth, Alberts)

#6 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Ask AV.

#7 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Gillis wanted a shut down third line which is kind of odd considering our problem during the kings and boston series was that we couldn't score goals. It doesn't make sense to go from 3 scoring lines to 2 scoring lines when scoring is lacking.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#8 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Team Sweden?

G4fSut.gif

#9 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Depth. And MG doesn't like rental players, so you can expect him back next year.

As for not playing against LA's top lines, you can blame AV for that.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#10 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Not your average poster

• Members
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Because he's Pahls' son, duh.

eGEldLv.gif

#11 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Depth. And MG doesn't like rental players, so you can expect him back next year.

And thats why I don't understand why AV is probably coming back.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#12 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#13 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

We kept on playing from behind because Luongo cannot keep pucks out, he has to throw our our offensive guys more. He had no choice.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#14 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

And thats why I don't understand why AV is probably coming back.

I can understand keeping him based on his accomplishments, but he needs to work on his match ups in the playoffs big time.

#15 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

No one, other than us, has been able to beat LA this playoffs and it doesn't look like anyone will. I don't think Cody on the Third Line would have put the Canucks in the Western Conference Finals, The Kings are just playing the best hockey of anyone. I hope we can figure a way to keep Pahlsson I really like him, he played really well for us...Alas If only the Kings could have won one more game in the regular season and be the 3 seed, then we could have played the sharks and gotten our playoff legs under us before we played the Kings

Edited by RXnucks975, 15 May 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#16 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

We kept on playing from behind because Luongo cannot keep pucks out, he has to throw our our offensive guys more. He had no choice.

Luongo only played 2 games, and most of those goals were not his fault. Don't try to defend AV by throwing Luongo under the bus. AV still could have used Pahlsson against LA's top lines more, but he didn't.

#17 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

He gave us depth at a low cost.

Can't say he played poorly, but he didn't seem to fit in right away.

We've seen many players come in and struggle with our system initially and have success later on (Ballard, Booth, Alberts)

He didn't give us depth. We traded away Hodgson. The trades are almost directly related to each other. Pahlsson replaced Hodgson, and Kassian was supposed to provide that physical depth.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#18 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

He didn't give us depth. We traded away Hodgson. The trades are almost directly related to each other. Pahlsson replaced Hodgson, and Kassian was supposed to provide that physical depth.

So a player who was situationally sheltered all season long would have been a good idea depth wise?

Hodgson likely wouldn't have gotten 14 minutes a game, or seen any time PK'ing.

#19 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

They also weren't convinced Hodgson could handle the defensive demands of being a third-line centre and decided to trade for Sammy Pahlsson.
Pahlsson, who will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, was acquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets at the trade deadline for a pair of fourth-round draft picks. The Canucks have said they don't view Pahlsson as a rental player and hope to re-sign the 34-year-old Swede, who had six points in 19 regular-sea-son games with Vancouver and scored one goal in five playoff games.

http://www.vancouver...8173/story.html

i see the logic in bringing in Pahlsson. But what I want to now is If trading Hodgson/acquiring Pahlsson, why not try Reinprecht before the deadline?
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#20 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

So I was just thinking to myself, Why did we get Sami Pahlsson??? We supposedly got him to be a third line checker to check the other teams top line, but that first round against LA we ended up matching our top 2 lines against there's and we clearly lost that battle. I thought the whole point of getting Pahlsson was to do what he did when the Ducks won the cup, which was to check the other teams top line and get them off their game, and the 3rd line didnt play at all against LA's 1st and 2nd lines. Wouldnt it have been better if we just kept 3 scoring lines???? just a little clueless.

I thought so too, though he was likely brought in to solidify the defensive end of things to strengthen the team for the playoff push while providing some offense; Kes - Richards was one of the primary match-ups, but I would've liked Lapierre - Richards (grit v. grit), Kesler - Kopitar (big-bodied Selke shutdown center v. big bodied play maker).

He was pretty much a buy-low guy though, for two 4th round picks and Taylor Ellington, I believe it was. With two effective two-way guys in Higgins and Hansen I'd say they can form an effective 3rd line, maybe not Moen-Niedermayer effective but strong, balanced and versatile nonetheless (that said, wouldn't mind Stoll coming in still).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#21 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

So a player who was situationally sheltered all season long would have been a good idea depth wise?

Hodgson likely wouldn't have gotten 14 minutes a game, or seen any time PK'ing.

You know, in retrospect.... anything would have been a better idea depth wise, don't you think?

We simply don't know what would've happened had we not dealt Hodgson. There's no point in speculating, so I won't. Still, I'm surprised that you think we could've been worse.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#22 AY89

AY89

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Luongo only played 2 games, and most of those goals were not his fault. Don't try to defend AV by throwing Luongo under the bus. AV still could have used Pahlsson against LA's top lines more, but he didn't.

Perhaps, but Luongo has shown he can't play well under pressure. Sure, most of those goals weren't his fault, but he still wasn't good enough. The stats don't lie. 3.59GAA and 0.891 S% He couldn't make timely saves.

#23 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Perhaps, but Luongo has shown he can't play well under pressure. Sure, most of those goals weren't his fault, but he still wasn't good enough. The stats don't lie. 3.59GAA and 0.891 S% He couldn't make timely saves.

He's also shown he CAN play well under pressure. Either way, Lu's performance, and past experiences have nothing to do with Pahlsson's play.

#24 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

To replace Hodgson. We lost our 3rd line center and need depth down the middle. Lapierre is our other option, but if we didn't get Pahlsson we would be 1 injury away at center from being in a catastrophe.

Pahlsson was great for us, but he shouldn't be considered a checking center. In this day and age no team has a defined checking line - you win by going head-to-head and beating the opponent that way. What we should do is have the following:

Sedins - offensive line, always gets the best offensive opportunities (offensive zone faceoffs, icings etc.) and go for matchups against weak 3rd defensive pairings
Kesler line - checking line and offence, they play against the other team's best lines and also contribute offensively
Malhotra line (with Lapierre and Hansen) - forechecking line that keeps the pressure on the opponent consistently
Pahlsson line (with Kassian and Bitz- hitting energy line that is sound defensively, but wears down opponents
Posted Image

#25 E-ROD

E-ROD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Never mind the team not showing up to play...

#26 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Pahlsson was brought in largely to help keep leads. He did that well, unfortunately we didn't have the lead too often.

#27 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

"The point" was the same as every other transaction a GM makes: improve the club.

Not a bad idea at the time but I would prefer not have this guy back. Need more offensive production from that position and I'm guessing that at 35 he ain't the one to bring it. Step 1: Let's see what Lou's return looks like. Step 2: Make another trade, or bring in a better 3rd line center from free agency. Step 3: if there's nothing appealing to be had, do what you can from within.

Here's how it may look until Kess gets back.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Higins-Kassian
Jansen-Lapierre-Hansen
Bad ass-Malhotra-Bad ass

Not the veteran lineup that AV is used to. Maybe time for him to earn his stripes and prove he's worth an extension. Who cares if we finish with only 100 points. Changes will be made as needed throughout the season.

#28 K_9

K_9

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

No one, other than us, has been able to beat LA this playoffs and it doesn't look like anyone will. I don't think Cody on the Third Line would have put the Canucks in the Western Conference Finals, The Kings are just playing the best hockey of anyone. I hope we can figure a way to keep Pahlsson I really like him, he played really well for us...Alas If only the Kings could have won one more game in the regular season and be the 3 seed, then we could have played the sharks and gotten our playoff legs under us before we played the Kings

Not to mention were also the only team to have won a single game against them...

Not saying that going out this early was entirely because of the quality of hockey LA was playing, we absolutely deserve most of the credit for that, but LA is clearly on a tear through the NHL playoffs. Perhaps things would have turned out differently had we faced a weaker team but I do not believe that the problems that eventually contributed to our early demise were manifested in the LA series.

With the noticeable lack of chemistry on the PP, and lower than average (to say the least) offensive production in all other facets of our game going into the final 20-or-so games of the regular season; one could make the conclusion that even had we faced a different first round opponent, and faced LA in either the WCF series or WCSF series, we may have had similar offensive struggles. And in the event that we did find a way to kick start the offensive locomotive that we are used to seeing and made it to LA they still may have walked through us just as easily.

Just a thought

Edited by K_9, 16 May 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

I take it you never watched the games then...............once more our defence hung Lu out to dry and in my opinion we will continue to do that until we get a big D in front of the net who is not inclined to get distracted and wander out of position puck watching.
Kevin.jpg

#30 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

i see the logic in bringing in Pahlsson. But what I want to now is If trading Hodgson/acquiring Pahlsson, why not try Reinprecht before the deadline?

He would have to clear waivers being called up and any team could claim him. As an added incentive to claim him we'd be stuck with half his salary and cap hit.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.