The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Seemed a bit similar to this year -- had a slow start as he was injured but then started putting up points consistently, like he is now.  Finished with 25 in 36 games (only one goal) and +17.  Has an assist already tonight, for 12 points in his last 14 games.  Only had 2 points in his first 26.

It has been a steady progression, but it seems like a switch was flipped and he has become more confident and not afraid to make a mistake.

7 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

From my eyes he already has leapfrogged Subban and Pedan and is our best D prospect not playing in the NHL. I didn't pay any attention to the K-Wings last year, but in his 1st AHL season, he has emerged as a solid player. His skating, shot, passing and decision making could all translate to the NHL game. He isn't afraid to jump into the play and he has the size and positioning that also make him a good defender.

Great to hear!  Hope he isn't our best d prospect not in the NHL.  Juolevi needs to be that guy;). 

I really like McEneny's game. He is so calm and cool when he has control of the puck and never panics. He always makes the right decisions with the puck. He also has great vision and when he sees an open lane, he never hesitates to take a shot at goal. Not only that, but he shares the puck also to his teammates to try and create solid chances for them. Hope he continues to play his game and keep working hard

• Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, stawns said:

I believe Brisboise is pro next season

I wasn't 100% sure but that's great news. Hopefully he can have a decent rookie season in the AHL and continue to improve his game for about 2-3 more years after that.

• Upvote 1

Comparable players using the pGPS chart from his Canucks Army profile are trending towards guys like:

Mark Stuart, Nick Holden, Radko Gudas, Francois Beauchemin, Brian Lee, Marco Scandella, Jakub Kindl

If he can finish the season with his points per game around 0.45 to 0.5 He would move into a new tier of players, that are not so much depth NHL D. That would include guys like Jake Muzzin and Christian Erhoff, and more I'm sure.

He's also top 25 in shots on goal for D men in the AHL.

Three similarly aged players who are still in the AHL with numbers like McEneny include Ville Pokka, Adam Pelech, and Griffin Reinhart. McEneny is actually slightly younger, and has a slightly better ppg than both Pokka and Reinhart. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

He will require waivers next year. I think it's important that this management group gets him a look in the NHL to see what they have.

Right now he is showing he can be a pretty dominant two way D man in the AHL. Check this out.

While I agree that it would be nice to see what we have in him, I really don't think there is any risk of losing him on waivers.

Teams tend to not take the risk of waiver claims for players who have never played in the NHL since they are then forced to keep them on their NHL rosters. Add to the fact that McEneny is an undrafted player who is still quite young, and though he has started to show well at the AHL level he has not been playing to the level of turning heads and forcing the attention of other GMs. I'm excited to se how he may turn out, but I really see being waiver eligible as a non-factor.

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

While I agree that it would be nice to see what we have in him, I really don't think there is any risk of losing him on waivers.

Teams tend to not take the risk of waiver claims for players who have never played in the NHL since they are then forced to keep them on their NHL rosters. Add to the fact that McEneny is an undrafted player who is still quite young, and though he has started to show well at the AHL level he has not been playing to the level of turning heads and forcing the attention of other GMs. I'm excited to se how he may turn out, but I really see being waiver eligible as a non-factor.

I'm not so sure. This guy has come out of nowhere, he skates well, is good defensively, looks to have a nice stretch pass and is quick to jump up. 

I would be surprised if no-one took a chance on a guy like that, especially a boy with his size.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not so sure. This guy has come out of nowhere, he skates well, is good defensively, looks to have a nice stretch pass and is quick to jump up. 

I would be surprised if no-one took a chance on a guy like that, especially a boy with his size.

He could be our Larsen replacement.  We will be carrying 8 d next season, so there is room for Evan. 

If JB is around and we have a decent coach, Evan will make the team if he can show well in camp. 

The defensive depth coming into the org in the next few years is going to give our GM a lot of options.  Never a bad thing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Similar numbers to Corrado without the NHL games around the same time we lost him. There are enough teams that need D to take a chance on the guy in my opinion. If he had a terrible preseason, probably not, but if he shows well then, it becomes decision time.

14 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He could be our Larsen replacement.  We will be carrying 8 d next season, so there is room for Evan. 

If JB is around and we have a decent coach, Evan will make the team if he can show well in camp. 

We have a decent coach - why else would most fans be so pleased with the D? Most are young guys. Mceneny is just the type of player Willie loves, hard worker, self improver with a great attitude. That is WD territory right there. :)

14 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The defensive depth coming into the org in the next few years is going to give our GM a lot of options.  Never a bad thing. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We have a decent coach - why else would most fans be so pleased with the D? Most are young guys. Mceneny is just the type of player Willie loves, hard worker, self improver with a great attitude. That is WD territory right there. :)

Willie would be an excellent coach in Utica.  He has made very questionable choices as a NHL bench boss.  IMO

27 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Willie would be an excellent coach in Utica.  He has made very questionable choices as a NHL bench boss.  IMO

And yet he has an over .500 win rate in the NHL - not too shabby considering we have been rebuilding over the last 2 years.

Makes you wonder what he could do with a more experienced and settled team.

Although we don't have to wonder too hard, he took one (all be it not a great one) to the playoffs against all the odds and despite horrendous injuries to key players in his rookie year. :) 

Make no mistake, he's an NHL coach, anyone doubting that need only watch this team most nights.

Edited by alfstonker

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

And yet he has an over .500 win rate in the NHL - not too shabby considering we have been rebuilding over the last 2 years.

Makes you wonder what he could do with a more experienced and settled team.

Although we don't have to wonder too hard, he took one to the playoffs against all the odds and despite horrendous injuries to key players in his rookie year. :) 

You say rebuilding.  JB says retooling.  TL says it's not fair to the Twins to rebuild while they're here.  Which is it?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

You say rebuilding.  JB says retooling.  TL says it's not fair to the Twins to rebuild while they're here.  Which is it?  

Well you decide, there is only the Twins, Edler, Burr, Tanev and Hansen left from Torts team.

It may not be a pure rebuild but the only thing stopping it is they ran out of eligible prospects.

Even now we may lose Tanev/Edler/Hansen or Burr before the season end. I don't get too worried about labels, all I know is we are having to play 3/4 AHL players because we lack the prospects to take their place and the Twins can't carry on giving the type of poor performances they have been giving this season.

• Upvote 1