Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The worst player ever to suit up as a Canuck...

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#31 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Luongo.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#32 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

....whose time in Vancouver was an unmitigated disaster. He was brought in as the "last piece of the puzzle". By the end of his first season here we had Linden, McLean, Gelinas, and other core players shipped out and the team missed the playoffs the entire time he was here. Sorry I think a lot of Messier's  so-called leadership is really a myth.

Oh, that's right. The Canucks overpaid for a guy who was clearly declining and couldn't single-handedly take the team to the post season, so he's clearly the "worst Canuck ever"...

No wonder everyone hates Canuck fans...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#33 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

He is just a fan who skated with them as a publicity stunt. Thats like saying Justin Bieber is a Leaf because he skated with them.

He signed a 1 day contract so technically he was a Canuck. Evan Oberg was terrible but guys that played a couple games tommi santala

#34 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Jiri Slegr?? Geoff Courtnall??

Some people don't know what "worst" means

#35 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

i loved all the guys that suited up for the canucks..they all gave what they had to give...if any of them were terrible, what does that say for the rest of us..it takes hard work, dedication and sacrifice to make to the nhl....they all have my respect.

#36 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Craig Coxe was a talentless punching bag for a few seasons. Tim Hunter was, as well.

Yes, but he did inspire the best sign I have seen at a Canucks game. At a game vs. LA.

"L.A. may have Gretzky, but we have Big Coxe" :towel:

#37 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Ah, good old CDC....

....where the NHL's 2nd all-time scorer, first ballot hall-of-famer and a guy with an award named for him is the "worst Canuck ever"... :rolleyes:

I don't think he was the worst Canuck ever, but definitely one of the most disappointing.
Posted Image

#38 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Luongo.

I hate to tell you, but he is the best goalie in Canucks history.
Posted Image

#39 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Luongo obviously, i mean what kind of goalie can't get 82 shutouts a year and then 16 more in the playoffs ffs :frantic:

#40 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Mathieu Schneider

How is it not

Mathieu Schneider

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#41 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

In before Marco Sturms name gets thrown in here.

I was going to post this :(

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#42 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

1) Mark "the useless cancer" Messier
2) Dana "stiff pylon" Murzyn
3) Dan "playoff hope killer" Cloutier

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#43 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Geoff Courtnall.

I'm including him for personal reasons. I met him when I was 12 and he was a total dick to me and my friend during a Canucks team event called Pasta da Puck.

Don't be so quick to judge. I've met him on several occasions and have nothing but nice things to say. Even NHL pro's and great guys have a bad day.
Posted Image

#44 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Vote for Rory Fitzpatrick!

#45 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Lonny bohonos
Roman oksiuta
Adrian Plavsic - I remember when the Canucks were tied or leading by one goal he would always give up the puck or let the guy who scored walk around him. I hated him, worst defenseman in Canucks history
Troy gamble - we drafted him two spots ahead of joe niewendyk
Jason getter - also one of the biggest draft busts in the illustrious Canucks draft history

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#46 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I don't think he was the worst Canuck ever, but definitely one of the most disappointing.

I agree. However, the disappointment was as much as case of unrealistic expectations, as it was anything that Messier did, or didn't do.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#47 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Stephanie Bernier
Brad Izz-blister
Byron Rich-guy

#48 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Chris Levesque, by far: http://en.wikipedia..../Chris_Levesque
Spoiler

#49 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Krog.

#50 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Depends on what you mean by worst. If were talking relative value to the team from a performance perspective, I'd have to say players who played an entire season (or most of one) for the sample size to be worthwhile.

1. Marc Chouinard, not only due to the value that was placed on his abilities, but because of his overwhelming ability to underachieve in the most epic of fashions.

2. Mark Messier. The season prior to his arrival in Vancouver, he had 36G 48A for 84P and a +12 in 71 games. His first season marked his best offensive point totals as a Canuck; 22G 38A 60P and a -10. He literally shat the bed. His subsequent two seasons were better offensively, but played far fewer games. More than his lackluster point totals was the damage and destruction he wreaked on this franchise, albeit I firmly believe had Messier not come here there is a good chance we would never have experienced the WCE era, so I'm a little conflicted.

3. I don't know how Brent Sopel hasn't been mentioned in this list. That guy was probably the single most overrated player to ever play on the Canucks, and that's saying a lot, not to mention the re-acquisition of Sopel led to the Kings drafting Wayne Simmonds in 2007, which let's be honest as basically a 3rd round pick the Canucks probably would have drafted someone totally off the board anyway.

#51 nzan

nzan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Oh, that's right. The Canucks overpaid for a guy who was clearly declining and couldn't single-handedly take the team to the post season, so he's clearly the "worst Canuck ever"...

a quick look at stats immediately prior to joining the canucks don't show "clearly declining", my memory doesn't recall that either. on the other hand, memory DOES recall that we were constantly looking for the single-handed savior in those days.

#52 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

OP you should have created some sort of criteria. Mark Messier was not the worst player, he is actually the best. Heck even though he sucked in Vancouver he was still awarded team MVP one season. I won't argue, however, that he was one of the worst signings in team hitstory.

If you provided some sort of era, minimum number of games etc. this would be much more interesting. Also a lot of people are saying guys who were pretty average but by no means terrible (Steve Bernier).

Looking at modern era guys with a minimum of 10 games, I would have to go with:

Rucinsky - 2 goals 3 assists in 20 games playing with one of the best offensive talents in the league

Wade Brookbank/Darren Langdon - Enforcer who could not play.

Lee Goren - Painfully slow. Minus player, did not contribute anything.

Eric Weinrich - He was a -13 in 16 games. Big reason we missed the playoffs.

Yanick Tremblay - He managed a 3 point game but finished his stint with 3 points, -6 in 12 games.

Marc Chouinard - Terrible fourth line player, was expected to contribute after scoring 14 goals the previous year. VERY SLOW.

Jeff Cowan - Pretty good his first year but AWFUL his second year. One point in 46 games as a punching bag.

Dishonourable mentions:

Patrick Colombe - Didn't make the games cut. -6 in 7 games. Couldn't even stick in the AHL after.

Maxime Ouelett - Much worse than his numbers indicate. Shakiest goalie I have ever seen. Played 16 professional games after leaving the Canucks, split between the ECHL, 2nd Div German League and LNAH. I can't believe he spent most of the year as our backup! Not even AHL backup calibre.
Sig too big.

#53 SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Howie Young. Played 11 games with the 1970-1971 Canucks.

:)

#54 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

he was hardly declining, the 3 seasons prior to joining the canucks he had 53 points in 46 games, 99 points in 74 games, and 84 points in 71 games.

then when he got here he was a complete disaster

#55 SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

BJ (Blair) MacDonald. Traded to Vancouver from Edmonton for the 1980-81 season. Got married at center ice in the old Coliseum. WORST defensive liability the Canucks have ever had.

:)

#56 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

he was hardly declining, the 3 seasons prior to joining the canucks he had 53 points in 46 games, 99 points in 74 games, and 84 points in 71 games.

then when he got here he was a complete disaster

Turnovers abounded, lazy, short shifts were the norm, and Messier was not at all the physical presence he had been previously in his career. He was slow, and commentators often mentioned he "had no legs." The only positive they could determine from Messier's presence was his leadership. The season he arrived, Bure and Naslund's +/- ratings thrived, but his finished amongst the lowest on the roster.

His on-ice contributions were abysmal. While reviewing the Bure footage I posted a few weeks ago, this was all I saw from the former-Oiler. Time and time again, Messier looked lost and disinterested, and commentators often used his age as an excuse for his play.

It seems he was an effective leader in the dressing room, as both Markus Naslund and Marc Crawford have credited him with steering the young core in the proper direction. When it was time to play, however, Messier brought nothing to the team aside from a few occasionally crisp passes.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 September 2012 - 11:20 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#57 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

In before mason raymond jokes.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#58 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hands down the worst was Chris Levesque. He was the UBC Thunderbirds third-stringer in the CIS.

(Yes, I am taking this thread seriously.)

Posted Image

#59 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hands down the worst was Chris Levesque. He was the UBC Thunderbirds third-stringer in the CIS.

(Yes, I am taking this thread seriously.)

I don't think modern-day amateur players should be counted in this discussion. Otherwise, if this were a thread about the Minnesota Wild's worst player ever, we would all be referring to 51-year-old beer league goaltender, Paul Deutsch. If the player isn't expected to play and isn't signed to a professional NHL contract, it wouldn't be fair to call him out.

Posted Image

He does have his own NHL profile, though, which is neat.

http://wild.nhl.com/....htm?id=8476674

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 September 2012 - 11:36 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#60 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Mark Messier hands down, want to use is head as my toilet paper
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.