The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU yet again proves it is a joke

canuckbeliever

That's terrible. I can honestly say that my TA's had more of an impact on my grades than my profs did. My faculty (Health Sci) at SFU was quite small when I was there (400 students in all of undergrad) but even so, the profs didn't have a whole lot of one on one time. It was the TA's who took time out of their busy schedules to sit down and explain things to us. It was always beyond me how they found the time to do it all. They were Masters students who were working on their own practicums and/or final thesis and yet they still marked all our work on time and were willing to find extra time to help us out.

SFU has always been cheap. My last year there, I was on a waitlist for a course that I desperately needed. It was only being offered that one semester so I begged the prof to allow me in. The capacity was 40 students and I asked if he could make it 45. He said that at 45 students the prof is allowed to request the services of a TA but SFU was too cheap to pay for one so they had told him that even if he got to 45 students, he would still have to mark everything on his own as they were unwilling to hire a TA. The prof was super nice and he allowed me in but it was just a glimpse into how universities work

Good luck OP. Work super hard and make use of the prof's office hours if you have to. You deserve one on one time. It's part of what you pay for in your tuition.

I was REALLY interested in going to SFU. So I checked out the program on their site; it says contact this email if interested in this program, so I contact the email, the person then gives me a number to call, to request an application package in the mail, and to book a campus tour. I phone the number and got told they don't do that over the phone, and all the info I need is on the site.

NONE of the info I wanted was on the site, just the basic course outline!

If someone wants to spend their money going to your school, you can at least try to help them.

Sorry, but I'm with HM on this one. Instead of complaining and grumbling you need to shift your focus and change your attitude to use your time (that you're obviously spending here) in working hard(er). Your basic grammar and writing show that you need to do so if you're planning on entering law school.

"You gotta" won't fly. "There marks", "there grades" won't fly.

Generally, I overlook these things as the GP can get a little annoying but, in considering that your post was about the fact that you are taking a path that is very demanding, these basics should be in place. You're not doing yourself any favours by grumbling on a forum about how you don't have time for this....if you have a heavy workload and can't afford extra time to study, why are you on a hockey forum during a lockout?

A negative response, but this is what jumped out at me so I'm only being honest....

Not particularly. I am taking 5 courses and you have to pick and choose where you spend major chunks of your time. It is a balancing act. You do really good on a mid term here then you know you can relax a bit in the class and put that extra effort in another class. If you do not get the great mark you wanted then you know you gotta pick up the pace here. I know a lot of students who are taking 5 courses and are also pissed off because it effects the balancing act that is required.

Don't worry too much. You are not the only person that this will affect and you really can't be faulted for this situation. Also, it's one semester in the many that you will have, so your GPA probably won't be affected in the long run.

That said, I'm siding with those that say to "work harder" - you can't control the situation of not getting your marks, but you can control your learning. Keep studying and learning the material. Do any assignments you are given. Keep copies for future reference (if you won't have grades, you'll have an example of your learning). One more thing: I have to be negative about the grammar, too. At least promise you'll learn the "there", "they're", and "their". That is one thing that prospective employers and schools will certainly notice.

Good luck!

Sorry, but I'm with HM on this one. Instead of complaining and grumbling you need to shift your focus and change your attitude to use your time (that you're obviously spending here) in working hard(er). Your basic grammar and writing show that you need to do so if you're planning on entering law school.

"You gotta" won't fly. "There marks", "there grades" won't fly.

Generally, I overlook these things as the GP can get a little annoying but, in considering that your post was about the fact that you are taking a path that is very demanding, these basics should be in place. You're not doing yourself any favours by grumbling on a forum about how you don't have time for this....if you have a heavy workload and can't afford extra time to study, why are you on a hockey forum during a lockout?

A negative response, but this is what jumped out at me so I'm only being honest....

Not particularly. I am taking 5 courses and you have to pick and choose where you spend major chunks of your time. It is a balancing act. You do really good on a mid term here then you know you can relax a bit in the class and put that extra effort in another class. If you do not get the great mark you wanted then you know you gotta pick up the pace here. I know a lot of students who are taking 5 courses and are also pissed off because it effects the balancing act that is required.

[Disclaimer] I am a TA, and am hoping for a sessional instructor position next semester.....[/Disclaimer]

I am not going to provide any opinion regarding the TSSU/SFU negotiations. I just wanted to stop by to let the OP and other students on CDC know that they are able to get access to their grades. The following is a message written by TSSU which students should receive via e-mail from their TAs and/or sessional instructors:

As a consequence of this job action, students will not have access to their grades. The TSSU has ensured, however, that I am able to provide written and/or verbal feedback to students. During the withholding of marks teaching work will carry on, students will continue to learn, feedback will be provided, and I hope that our relationship can actually be strengthened by the potential for increased interaction.

The TSSU has been forced to increase pressure on the university to settle the collective agreement while attempting to limit the impact on students. Again, I will, as a TSSU member, provide students with feedback, but will not provide numerical or letter grades for entry into any SFU system, and instead, will give them to the union for safekeeping.

The union will hold the grades and the members will determine collectively when to give them to the University. If you have any questions or concerns you can:

Visit the TSSU website at <http://www.tssu.ca>

Visit <http://www.facebook.com/TSSU.ca>

Come to the upcoming TSSU Townhall <http://www.facebook....02784766547987/ >

Follow us on twitter@tssu.ca

We appreciate any support that you can provide. You can help us pressure the university by:

Email to President Petter at sfu_pres@sfu.ca

Support your sessionals at <http://www.facebook.com/SFUSessionals>

Support SFU solidarity at <https://www.facebook.com/SFUSolidarity >

Archived