109 replies to this topic

#31 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sorry, but I'm with HM on this one. Instead of complaining and grumbling you need to shift your focus and change your attitude to use your time (that you're obviously spending here) in working hard(er). Your basic grammar and writing show that you need to do so if you're planning on entering law school.

"You gotta" won't fly. "There marks", "there grades" won't fly.

Generally, I overlook these things as the GP can get a little annoying but, in considering that your post was about the fact that you are taking a path that is very demanding, these basics should be in place. You're not doing yourself any favours by grumbling on a forum about how you don't have time for this....if you have a heavy workload and can't afford extra time to study, why are you on a hockey forum during a lockout?

A negative response, but this is what jumped out at me so I'm only being honest....

Correction: Your basic grammar and writing show that you need to do so if you're planning to enter law school.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't ban me :P

Posted Image

#32 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,910 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

http://forum.canucks...ferring-to-ubc/

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#34 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

http://forum.canucks...ferring-to-ubc/

UBC does not have a criminology program so I guess I'll stay in the inferior school.

#35 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

Fear is there for a reason, let it be your fuel :)
Posted Image

#36 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Not particularly. I am taking 5 courses and you have to pick and choose where you spend major chunks of your time. It is a balancing act. You do really good on a mid term here then you know you can relax a bit in the class and put that extra effort in another class. If you do not get the great mark you wanted then you know you gotta pick up the pace here. I know a lot of students who are taking 5 courses and are also pissed off because it effects the balancing act that is required.

step 1: get off cdc
step 2: use newly acquired time to actually do your homework
step 3: ???
step 4: profit
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#37 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

It was sarcasm.

This kid doesn't know the difference between there and their. I guess we can blame the TA's for that.

Ah. You got me, well done.

#38 Danucks

Danucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Are they even allowed to withhold marks of undergraduates? I'm just wondering as I a SFU student. It just seems like they're using us as pawns to force SFU to come to an agreement.

#39 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Are they even allowed to withhold marks of undergraduates? I'm just wondering as I a SFU student. It just seems like they're using us as pawns to force SFU to come to an agreement.

This applies to all TAs and what not. So every student won't be getting any numerical or letter grade back. We do get written feedback though.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#40 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

[Disclaimer] I am a TA, and am hoping for a sessional instructor position next semester.....[/Disclaimer]

I am not going to provide any opinion regarding the TSSU/SFU negotiations. I just wanted to stop by to let the OP and other students on CDC know that they are able to get access to their grades. The following is a message written by TSSU which students should receive via e-mail from their TAs and/or sessional instructors:

As a consequence of this job action, students will not have access to their grades. The TSSU has ensured, however, that I am able to provide written and/or verbal feedback to students. During the withholding of marks teaching work will carry on, students will continue to learn, feedback will be provided, and I hope that our relationship can actually be strengthened by the potential for increased interaction.

The TSSU has been forced to increase pressure on the university to settle the collective agreement while attempting to limit the impact on students. Again, I will, as a TSSU member, provide students with feedback, but will not provide numerical or letter grades for entry into any SFU system, and instead, will give them to the union for safekeeping.

The union will hold the grades and the members will determine collectively when to give them to the University. If you have any questions or concerns you can:

Visit the TSSU website at <http://www.tssu.ca>
Visit <http://www.facebook.com/TSSU.ca>
Come to the upcoming TSSU Townhall <http://www.facebook....02784766547987/ >
Follow us on twitter@tssu.ca

We appreciate any support that you can provide. You can help us pressure the university by:

Email to President Petter at sfu_pres@sfu.ca
Support your sessionals at <http://www.facebook.com/SFUSessionals>
Support SFU solidarity at <https://www.facebook.com/SFUSolidarity >

In addition, and most importantly:

6.All students requiring marks for applications or other exceptional circumstances may submit a request to the TSSU directly to have their grades released for that purpose.

Edited by Down by the River, 23 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#41 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

The sessional instructors I find are usually among the best I've had. The tenured/faculty members, while very bright in their field, are the worst teachers ever.

I must point out. It's not like they're not marking anything. Assignments and exams are still being marked. The marks will be submitted to the union and once everything is resolved, the union will forward the marks to the university.

Just so students are aware, any marks that were sent to the TSSU (I chose not to send my marks) are kept in a sealed envelope for the purposes of ensuring confidentiality.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#42 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,240 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Have you considered that other people might be getting jacked at the same time? People comment on how cheap the school is, well maybe that's the focal point on why the job action in the first place?

They've been without a contract for 2 years. Maybe if students put more pressure on the University (the source of income) a deal might get hammered out?

I do feel some unions push the limits for being unreasonable, but at the same time it doesn't take too much to see that a lot of employers are treating their staff like dirt because they want more profit. We're not talking NHL and NHLPA here.

If I had a company I'd want a happy and productive workforce. If this means sacrificing a small amount of profit at the expense of bonuses, higher wages or offering shares in the firm so be it. Too many companies are looking at greed instead of the bigger picture. You know that companies are owned by people, employee people, and sell products and services to people. Too much focus is on numbers, data, and stats.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#43 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Damn. Because of this, one of my courses, my prof decided to switch to a 35 question multiple choice as a midterm instead of a 2000-2500 term paper. I'd rather take the essay thank you very much.. Don't want a 35 m/c midterm to determine my mark. Not to mention its worth 30% of my grade...

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#44 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Damn. Because of this, one of my courses, my prof decided to switch to a 35 question multiple choice as a midterm instead of a 2000-2500 term paper. I'd rather take the essay thank you very much.. Don't want a 35 m/c midterm to determine my mark. Not to mention its worth 30% of my grade...

REM?

I actually liked the decision, easier to study for a test then write a long paper for me honestly

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#45 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Have you considered that other people might be getting jacked at the same time? People comment on how cheap the school is, well maybe that's the focal point on why the job action in the first place?

They've been without a contract for 2 years. Maybe if students put more pressure on the University (the source of income) a deal might get hammered out?

I do feel some unions push the limits for being unreasonable, but at the same time it doesn't take too much to see that a lot of employers are treating their staff like dirt because they want more profit. We're not talking NHL and NHLPA here.

If I had a company I'd want a happy and productive workforce. If this means sacrificing a small amount of profit at the expense of bonuses, higher wages or offering shares in the firm so be it. Too many companies are looking at greed instead of the bigger picture. You know that companies are owned by people, employee people, and sell products and services to people. Too much focus is on numbers, data, and stats.

Better yet, get the student union to vote in tuition hikes to pay the TA's more. Or should someone else (once again) be paying for this?

That this may foil the chance someone else will become a lawyer is hardly a compelling reason to suck more of my tax dollars!

#46 Dumbledore

Dumbledore

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Better yet, get the student union to vote in tuition hikes to pay the TA's more. Or should someone else (once again) be paying for this?

That this may foil the chance someone else will become a lawyer is hardly a compelling reason to suck more of my tax dollars!

No one is asking for money from tax payers. The job action is NOT against governemnt; it's against the unversity itself.

#47 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

No one is asking for money from tax payers. The job action is NOT against governemnt; it's against the unversity itself.

Oh, so it's as simple as them reducing their dividend to their shareholders? :lol:

It might have some independence in it's decisions but it's still publicly funded. If not from tuition where should the money come from?

#48 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh, so it's as simple as them reducing their dividend to their shareholders? :lol:

It might have some independence in it's decisions but it's still publicly funded. If not from tuition where should the money come from?

This is the biggest issue that the TSSU seems to simply not understand. Given that the BC government has put a freeze on government positions, it is difficult to see where TSSU is going to get an increase in wage (though there are other reasons for the strike). SFU is a publicly funded (i.e. money from government) university. If the government has put a freeze on wages, there is nothing SFU administration can do in their negotiations with TSSU. It is an unfortunate situation that TAs are paid poorly, but I knew that going in to this job.

#49 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

This is the biggest issue that the TSSU seems to simply not understand. Given that the BC government has put a freeze on government positions, it is difficult to see where TSSU is going to get an increase in wage (though there are other reasons for the strike). SFU is a publicly funded (i.e. money from government) university. If the government has put a freeze on wages, there is nothing SFU administration can do in their negotiations with TSSU. It is an unfortunate situation that TAs are paid poorly, but I knew that going in to this job.

Well technically it's net zero. Since there's so many foreign students here driving sports cars they could at least take an increase in tuition to not only give a cost of living increase to you guys as well as help to keep everyone else's tuition low. Since that wouldn't be a net cost increase I would be ok with that.

Not sure that would go through but I would be ok with that.

#50 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well technically it's net zero. Since there's so many foreign students here driving sports cars they could at least take an increase in tuition to not only give a cost of living increase to you guys as well as help to keep everyone else's tuition low. Since that wouldn't be a net cost increase I would be ok with that.

Not sure that would go through but I would be ok with that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have not had time to pay close enough attention to TSSU/SFU negotiations. I heard (subtext don't know that it is true) that CUPE workers at UBC received a raise and was very confused as to how that happened with a government imposed freeze on wages...but since it is not a freeze, then it makes sense for that to be possible.

#51 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I have not had time to pay close enough attention to TSSU/SFU negotiations. I heard (subtext don't know that it is true) that CUPE workers at UBC received a raise and was very confused as to how that happened with a government imposed freeze on wages...but since it is not a freeze, then it makes sense for that to be possible.

I believe UBC has offerred the TAs a 1.5% increase. At least according to the signs they have everywhere.

rsz_avs.jpg

#52 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Job action at UBC began today.

#53 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

REM?

I actually liked the decision, easier to study for a test then write a long paper for me honestly

Yeah friggen REM.. I'd rather write a paper. Been having a bad semester school wise and I'm not up to it to study for another friggen midterm.

It's on Nov 14 right?

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#54 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yeah friggen REM.. I'd rather write a paper. Been having a bad semester school wise and I'm not up to it to study for another friggen midterm.

It's on Nov 14 right?

I'll take 35 multiple choice questions over a 2500 word paper+research

yeah the 14th

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#55 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Now there is another strike going on, with the residence and maintenance staff.

One strike could be fault on either side, but when 2 unions are having job action on the same institution at the same time, the common denominator needs to be fixed

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#56 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Most (if not all?) of tomorrow's classes are cancelled it seems.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#57 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Most (if not all?) of tomorrow's classes are cancelled it seems.

http://students.sfu....-cancelled.html

Directory to check

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#58 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

http://www.sfu.ca/sr...bourupdate.html

Crossing a Picket Line
As the University will remain operational, you may need to cross a picket line to attend classes or other activities on campus. It is important to note that picketers can be in an emotional state and may act out of character. You may be nervous about crossing the picket line, so remember to remain calm and take extra care to avoid confrontation.
When crossing the picket line:

• Proceed carefully - do not rush.
  • Be prepared to identify yourself.
  • Do not become embroiled in discussion.
  • Do not antagonize.
  • Do not respond to threats or taunts.
  • Do not cross the line more often than necessary.
  • If confronted, please identify why you are accessing the University (e.g., as a student to attend class or study in the library, as a faculty member conducting research or teaching, or as a staff member going to work)

Hmmm I got a test tomorrow and the class is not cancelled should I be concerned haha.... Didn't know picketers can get aggresive.
Posted Image

#59 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

http://www.sfu.ca/sr...bourupdate.html

Hmmm I got a test tomorrow and the class is not cancelled should I be concerned haha.... Didn't know picketers can get aggresive.

haha, just go to class with some headphones in, you'll be fine

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#60 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,910 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well said.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.