Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

The title says it all.

Do Facebook and/or Twitter etc. contribute to acts of senseless shootings that happen far too often in our part of the world?

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 December 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#2 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Nope.

#3 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Haha no. While social media does eliminate the need for "Big Brother" in this increasingly Orwellian society, there really is zero evidence linking it to any of these mass shooting atrocities...these shootings have been going on long before social media became popular.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

No.
These people are just sick and twisted, they rarely have any "real-world" rationale for what they do.
Maybe they enjoy their 15 minutes of fame, but it isn't a driving factor.
Posted Image

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,344 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA the world?

Edited by Heretic, 14 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Not at all. People who go on mass killing sprees are generally mentally disturbed.

Posted Image

#7 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Not really that much. Mass media may aggravate and help along those with already aggressive tendencies, but it does not make a normal, sane person go commit crimes.

#8 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,081 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

A lot of cyber-bullying happens through social media
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#9 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

As was posted in the other thread before I got kicked out (oops), there are numerous factors contributing towards these sort of incidents. To single out social media, or even the media in general would be foolish.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

THE REASON IS TWITTER AND FACEBOOK, NOT THE FACT THAT ANYONE WHO ISN'T A FROG CAN OWN A FIREARM! BAN FACEBOOK! THAT'LL SOLVE IT!

#11 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

There's probably some sick people who do it for the attention, but getting rid of social media wouldn't stop these people imo.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#12 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

No it doesn't, But the lack of discipline as a child and the desensitization to violence through video games does.

140an3r.jpg

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not as much as other factors, such as the availability of guns.

There have always been mass killings, so it's impossible to blame mass killings on social media.
Posted Image

#14 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

As was posted in the other thread before I got kicked out (oops), there are numerous factors contributing towards these sort of incidents. To single out social media, or even the media in general would be foolish.

Apparently the person saying Facebook and Twitter are the root cause of people committing acts such as the mass murder at the elementary school in CT this morning is still over there arguing the point. He must not have received the memo! :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Title needs changing

Pretty sure the claim used stronger language than simply contributes
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Studies suggest that 'social' aspects were a primary cause of 28 massacres. Bullying, racism and social isolation - which can all occur on social media sites. On top of that you can add in '15 minutes of fame' motivation through self glorification. Often times mass murderers have conveyed warnings on social media sites right before committing the act. It is possible that the 'stressors' could occur on a social media sites.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#17 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Studies suggest that 'social' aspects were a primary cause of 28 massacres. Bullying, racism and social isolation - which can all occur on social media sites. On top of that you can add in '15 minutes of fame' motivation through self glorification. Often times mass murderers have conveyed warnings on social media sites right before committing the act. Which is a clear connection to me.

Whose studies are these? Yours? If you have a link to back up this claim, please post it, otherwise you are talking out your ass.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#18 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

No it doesn't, But the lack of discipline as a child and the desensitization to violence through video games does.

WOW!! I've been walking around the house all day and ranting the very same thing you just said. Only difference is I added wars and invasions of other countries along with video games as the reason for desensitization. I was just going on about lack of discipline. Parents act like friends towards their kids instead of acting like mom and dad.

#19 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Whose studies are these? Yours? If you have a link to back up this claim, please post it, otherwise you are talking out your ass.

http://www.academia....e_United_States

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#20 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Studies suggest that 'social' aspects were a primary cause of 28 massacres. Bullying, racism and social isolation - which can all occur on social media sites. On top of that you can add in '15 minutes of fame' motivation through self glorification. Often times mass murderers have conveyed warnings on social media sites right before committing the act. Witch is a clear connection to me.

"Suggest" "Can occur" "Often times" - yep, those are pretty concrete and definitive terms fer shure.

Plenty of other things.......POSITVE things happen on social media sites too. In fact they far outweigh the negative things.

Yup, and those who commit mass murder and do themselves in right after are surely hanging around for their 15 minutes of fame. Are they floating somewhere in the air above the scene of their crime and enjoying it or what?

OMG - in 'the olden' days, you know, before Facebook and Twitter, these sort of people left handwritten or typed notes in their homes, or cars or lockers at school. Damn you Facebook and Twitter for instigating these sickos to commit mass murder and the like.

You might want to take some paper towel and Windex to your 'connections'.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#21 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Apparently the person saying Facebook and Twitter are the root cause of people committing acts such as the mass murder at the elementary school in CT this morning is still over there arguing the point. He must not have received the memo! :lol:

Thank you guys. I didn't mean to come off terse but as you can see this is a difficult and emotional day, particularly for those of us who have children between 5 and 10 years of age. The same age as the children who perished in this terrible tragedy.

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Not to belabor this point....but mass shootings have occurred throughout history even before the advent of social media...lol..Is Ed next going to lay Columbine, which happened 5 years before Facebook's launch, on social media's doorstep retroactively as well? Unreal....just unreal.
Posted Image

#23 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Not to belabor this point....but mass shootings have occurred throughout history even before the advent of social media...lol..Is Ed next going to lay Columbine, which happened 5 years before Facebook's launch, on social media's doorstep retroactively as well? Unreal....just unreal.

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

I'm not saying that it can't occur without social media. But that it could make it worse. Don't you think these types of massacres are happening more and more often now?

#24 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm not saying that it can't occur without social media. But that it could make it worse. Don't you think these types of massacres are happening more and more often now?

Ok...exacerbation I can possibly see....but as a cause, you're barking up the wrong tree, bud.
Posted Image

#25 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Ok...exacerbation I can possibly see....but as a cause, you're barking up the wrong tree, bud.

Well like the article I posted suggests. Social reasons are one of the main 'causes' along with financial. Which is why these things occur at schools far too often. I'm not saying social media sites are the end game for these tragedies, but one should consider all options in trying to understand them. From what I have read so far, social media sites contain all the stress and motivational factors to trigger events such as this. And have even been directly connected to the killers who broadcast warnings there before committing the act. My opinion is that we will see an increase in these connections to this subject in the future. Unfortunately.

#26 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Well like the article I posted suggests. Social reasons are one of the main 'causes' along with financial. Which is why these things occur at schools far too often. I'm not saying social media sites are the end game for these tragedies, but one should consider all options in trying to understand them. From what I have read so far, social media sites contain all the stress and motivational factors to trigger events such as this. And have even been directly connected to the killers who broadcast warnings there before committing the act. My opinion is that we will see an increase in these connections to this subject in the future. Unfortunately.

Please tell me how you assert such a strong connection between the phrase "social reasons" and "social media"...Social reasons can be anything from the aforementioned media to rejection by peers, break up with a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc...you're stretching that a bit much for me to ascertain any real connection between social media specifically and these mass shootings.
Posted Image

#27 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Oh, but that is exactly what you said, remember?

. So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter.....

But I'm still free to voice my opinion of what the root cause of these events is and that's all I have done.

All the backpedaling in the world cannot erase the words you posted on this topic earlier. And the papering of a thread with various articles that don't even support your posted comments just isn't helping your cause any.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#28 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

The term "social media" including the word "social" does not mean that they are the same thing.

Social media is not a root factor for these sort of shootings. It's potentially one of many factors, but it isn't even close to be the root of the problem.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't think social media does, but to some degree I think that rather the media has some influence about how fervently they cover and swarm all over incidents like this. Someone who wants to get attention and be known for an event.. easy solution, kill a bunch of people, hell, even yourself along with them, and you'll be famous as every major media outlet across the planet will swoop in to give it 24/7 coverage.

Edited by zaibatsu, 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#30 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

"Social media" and "mass media" and "gun culture" can all be contributing factors in cases such as mass murders, just as access to firearms, reductions in mental health availability, poor parenting and low-sugar levels can contribute .. there are not just one or two prime reasons for these events .. there are many mitigating factors ..

Throwing our hands up in the air and pretending we can do nothing to change our Society is tantamount to being an accessory after the fact ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 14 December 2012 - 04:20 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.