169 replies to this topic

#61 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

$2.75M for 2 more years. Not that bad of a contract.

2.75 + 3.1 = 5.85

Luongo's cap hit is 5.3?

So there it is pretty balanced, and perhaps Bergenheim could be moved later on. I would do it.

zackass.png

#62 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

typically you cannot buy players out mid-season only in the offseason and even in the offseason only at certain times. if the compliance buyouts are different and can be used midseason thats great.

Been trying to figure out why gillis is so bent against taking dead-money back in order to get what he wants. Does he think he is going to need his two compliance buyouts to keep the team competitive?

I dunno, I don't see us as one of those teams that will need to buy out players, unless it's in a situation like this.

Gillis is one of those GMs that like to have his deck stacked. So I don't think he'd wanna give up that option if he can avoid it.

If he can get a better deal by taking a cap dump, I think it may be the route he ends up having to go.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#63 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Revised offer

To Vancouver:
- Stephen Weiss
- Sean Bergenheim
- Alex Petrovic
- Condiditonal 2nd (If Weiss doesn't re-sign)

To Florida:
- Roberto Luongo

Bergenheim (2.75) + Weiss (3.1) , (combined 5.85) = Luongo (5.3) (in dollars) so they can afford to take on Luongo.

and for us Weiss is a rental and we could always move Bergenheim or keep him around as he is a useful playoff player. Then we get future assets with Petrovic, and the 2nd which beings extra value in this deep draft.

zackass.png

#65 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#66 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Would anyone care about Weiss walking if we win the Cup?

Exactly

Edited by Django, 27 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Posted Image

#67 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do I look like I`m kidding you?

Posted Image

#68 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

Do I look like I`m kidding you?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#69 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

I think Garrison has been put in a position to get a lot of shots at the net thus far, for whatever reason he has not gotten the production as of yet. I am not really worried about him, he is fairly solid away from the puck anyways, and the numbers will come.

Booth, am sorry and ive said it before lol, kind of a glorified Steve Bernier at least from what ive seen of him in Vancouver. Not very agile, sloppy shot. But would be happy if he atleast became a 20 goal scorer lol.
Posted Image

#70 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think Garrison has been put in a position to get a lot of shots at the net thus far, for whatever reason he has not gotten the production as of yet. I am not really worried about him, he is fairly solid away from the puck anyways, and the numbers will come.

Booth, am sorry and ive said it before lol, kind of a glorified Steve Bernier at least from what ive seen of him in Vancouver. Not very agile, sloppy shot. But would be happy if he atleast became a 20 goal scorer lol.

well seeing as how booth has scored or has been on pace to score 20+goals 5times in his career, only years he hasnt were 09 (concussion missed most of the year) and his first year in the league. so id say he is making you very happy.

#71 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think Weiss could end up in Toronto, Calgary, Detroit, Columbus, or Colorado.

Toronto because obvious reasons.

Calgary is looking for #1 centremen and Weiss could help them.

Detroit could use him on the second line, he would help bolster there weakened line up.

Columbus could go after him because of their new look team and by adding Weiss into the mix they then could have a very good top 6.

Colorado could go after Weiss if it doesn't work out with Ryan O'Reilly, Weiss is good alternative for Colorado to look at.

slo802.jpg

Thanks for the sweet sig Justdean10

#72 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

the problem of toronto trading for anyone is they have no assets to move other than the "untouchable 4"

Reilly
Gardiner
1st
Kessel

#73 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

No they added a buyout for this season. That's why Redden and Gomez were bought out.

They did add a compliance buyout option prior to the start of this season, but only for that time period. It wasn't open ended to where it could be used at any time.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#74 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Petrovic is a really good prospect, a top 4 guy with size, good allround skill and some nastyness/grit. The 2nd in this deep draft would be valuable as it would most likely be a mid round pick, could get a good player if this draft is anything like 03.

Imagine a future right side of: Corrado, Tanev, Petrovic.

Mike Gillis has been pretty clear that he will not be trading Luongo unless it makes the team better NOW not just down the road. He has also stated he does not want to take a salary dump player in return.The Canucks are trying to win now so a good prospect as a throw in to a deal is something MG might want but not as the key player in the deal after the rentals leave or are bought out......

#75 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Mike Gillis has been pretty clear that he will not be trading Luongo unless it makes the team better NOW not just down the road. He has also stated he does not want to take a salary dump player in return.The Canucks are trying to win now so a good prospect as a throw in to a deal is something MG might want but not as the key player in the deal after the rentals leave or are bought out......

Weiss doesn't help us now? Even Bergenheim helps no?

Petrovic and the 2nd don't help us down the road?

I got both aspects covered and unfortunately in order to even have Florida as a trade partner we will have to take salary back, whih is where Bergenheim comes in, and we could always trade him elsewhere as he does hold value around the league.

zackass.png

#76 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

to be honest, he's not a 5 million dollar player. He was probably asking for Jamie Benn money, but he really isn't a Jamie Benn. He's a smart offensive player, he's not point per game good, he's not even all star good, he's more or a less a 2nd line centerman that happens to be on a weak team, which gave him the oppurtunity to play on a teams top center. He is good, but not the money he is asking for.

MIke Gillis should pass on this.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#77 SeaBass

SeaBass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I dont know how much faith i'd put in this story. It's written by Bruce Garrioch.
Anyone who has followed his work knows its mostly what he dreams up. Seriously, nothing against him but he writes alot of stuff that never comes true.

#78 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Weiss doesn't help us now? Even Bergenheim helps no?

Petrovic and the 2nd don't help us down the road?

I got both aspects covered and unfortunately in order to even have Florida as a trade partner we will have to take salary back, whih is where Bergenheim comes in, and we could always trade him elsewhere as he does hold value around the league.

Gillis doesn't seem to like trading for rental players that are not in the long term plans if his history counts for anything. Where does Weiss play when Kesler comes back? That means Weiss is probably not a player Gillis would be actively pursuing. Bergenheim isn't going to help the Canucks enough to make him a key player in the deal imo.

#79 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I dont know how much faith i'd put in this story. It's written by Bruce Garrioch.
Anyone who has followed his work knows its mostly what he dreams up. Seriously, nothing against him but he writes alot of stuff that never comes true.

heck if I knew it was him, I wouldn't have bothered replying. LOL but thanks for letting us know, and yes, he's one of the most useless guys in the industry.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#80 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

If they truly were trying to clear money; there should be a way to get them to eat 1/2 Campbell's cap and ship him here.

Ballard and Lou for Campbell, Weiss and ??? (insert some variation on a pick) Campbell with the balance of our D instantly brings all tools to the table; we'd be cup favorites IMO.

Florida saves $25 mill in actual salary dollars on Weiss and Campbell.

They had no problem spending cash last season. Likely, Weiss is going to make room for Huberdeau.

I agree with you here Old News; Booth is still an asset for us, and Ballard falls under poop happens. Most of us would have made the move at the time. And it still may come around.

That link also speculates that the Panthers could be for sale again.
I don't know if that eliminates the possibility of Luongo deal - he could help sell tickets.

But with Philly and Washington on the hotseat, things are looking good for MG.

Garrison leads the Canucks right now with a +3.

I have no problem with the deals the Canucks have cut with the Panthers.
Luongol, Jovanovski, Higgins, Garrison...
I think people over-state what was given up for Ballard and Booth. Those deals are nowhere near as bad as many people on CDC suggest.

Weiss is a UFA next year, and (as above noted by Laughs) it's more about making room for Huberdeau, Howden, and Bjugstad...

In smart management; Florida would be looking to get more young asset's and avoid tying themselves to another contract. Its pretty logical actually, especially for a team looking for ways to make money as well as, perhaps, win...

Now if they re-signed Weiss (he is popular there, and highly functional), it could signal a Lou trade!

Yeah, that deal made little sense for them. It's not like it's a front loaded deal where they'd actually be paying him less now despite the higher cap hit, so that's left them handcuffed a bit considering their internal salary cap. It's not even a situation where they can buy him out, since they can't afford that really.

The controlling company of the Panthers actually makes decent money though, through arena management deals and the like, so I'm just not sure why they would consider dropping Weise when he'd likely only be looking for a $2M raise and that doesn't put them in any danger regarding next year's salary cap.

If they think Weiss is asking for too much, then they might consider moving him, but he also has an NMC so there's no guarantee they can.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#81 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

They could do this if Howden holds weight, he looked good as a call up even when they got blown out by Philly.

I like this deal! I dream of better ones, but essentially Petrovic whom I like, a bit of depth (Bergenheim) and a shot at the cup (Weiss) for Lou...

Win, win

edit; not completely sarcastically, or un sarcastically, Mike Keenan is calling for Weiss as the centrepiece return on Lou... :rolleyes:

Revised offer

To Vancouver:
- Stephen Weiss
- Sean Bergenheim
- Alex Petrovic
- Condiditonal 2nd (If Weiss doesn't re-sign)

To Florida:
- Roberto Luongo

Bergenheim (2.75) + Weiss (3.1) , (combined 5.85) = Luongo (5.3) (in dollars) so they can afford to take on Luongo.

and for us Weiss is a rental and we could always move Bergenheim or keep him around as he is a useful playoff player. Then we get future assets with Petrovic, and the 2nd which beings extra value in this deep draft.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 January 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#82 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hmmmm, I think your well and truly off base.

Toronto, Calgary, Columbus and Toronto, if they are looking for rental players, should not be... :picard:

And Detroit could always use a good veteran, but have a top line centre (his name is Datsyuk, you may have heard of him) and a backup, Zetterburg. My guess is if they liked Weiss, would try and signe him in the off season, as their pressing need is considered by some to be a defender to replace some guy, can't recall his name... Help me out here?

I think Weiss could end up in Toronto, Calgary, Detroit, Columbus, or Colorado.

Toronto because obvious reasons.

Calgary is looking for #1 centremen and Weiss could help them.

Detroit could use him on the second line, he would help bolster there weakened line up.

Columbus could go after him because of their new look team and by adding Weiss into the mix they then could have a very good top 6.

Colorado could go after Weiss if it doesn't work out with Ryan O'Reilly, Weiss is good alternative for Colorado to look at.

#83 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Gillis doesn't seem to like trading for rental players that are not in the long term plans if his history counts for anything. Where does Weiss play when Kesler comes back? That means Weiss is probably not a player Gillis would be actively pursuing. Bergenheim isn't going to help the Canucks enough to make him a key player in the deal imo.

Bergenheim isn't a key in the deal, he just balances out the salary, although he has enough value (and isn't as overpaid as Upshall) where we can trade him elsewhere if we can't use him.

We did make the Pahlsson deal last year, and the Alberts deal (although we re-signed him) was made for depth heading into the playoffs, I'm sure if bringing him on board long term was our thinking we would have made that move much sooner.

Weiss fits on the 2nd (He has chemistry with Booth, is the pass first player Kesler needs)

zackass.png

#84 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Bergenheim isn't a key in the deal, he just balances out the salary, although he has enough value (and isn't as overpaid as Upshall) where we can trade him elsewhere if we can't use him.

We did make the Pahlsson deal last year, and the Alberts deal (although we re-signed him) was made for depth heading into the playoffs, I'm sure if bringing him on board long term was our thinking we would have made that move much sooner.

Weiss fits on the 2nd (He has chemistry with Booth, is the pass first player Kesler needs)

Those deadline deals were made for useless picks.....not for a roster player, especially one like Luongo.

So let me re-phrase then. Gillis does not seem to want to trade for rental players if he has to give up anything of value in the deal other than picks.

#85 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Would anyone care about Weiss walking if we win the Cup?

Exactly

No but they sure would if we didn't win the cup and he walked.

#86 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Please, we all know Weiss is not coming to Van. I doubt Luongo's getting traded and I think Gillis is on crack if he thinks he's getting anything good for Luongo. May as well trade him for a couple of draft picks no point in havin Luongo and that long contract riding the pine. Gillis is too conservative in his trading. He has no leverage with Luongo and the longer he waits the less likely we'll get anything. Other GM's realize Gillis is losing ground every day. Soon the pressure is going to increase and Gillis will be forced to take a smaller deal. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

#87 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I would think Chicago has interest in Weiss and Florida would be wiser to move him for assets than to trade him for Luongo.

Hayes, Saad, Danault, Pirri, Kruger... One of those and a draft pick. Then Tallon can turn around and trade more expendable assets for Luongo.

It makes more sense for Tallon to make two separate deals.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#88 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Please, we all know Weiss is not coming to Van. I doubt Luongo's getting traded and I think Gillis is on crack if he thinks he's getting anything good for Luongo. May as well trade him for a couple of draft picks no point in havin Luongo and that long contract riding the pine. Gillis is too conservative in his trading. He has no leverage with Luongo and the longer he waits the less likely we'll get anything. Other GM's realize Gillis is losing ground every day. Soon the pressure is going to increase and Gillis will be forced to take a smaller deal. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

Not sure if serious...Luongo is an elite and teams that are interested in him will pay a good price because Gillis will not trade Lu for table scraps.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#89 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Not sure if serious...Luongo is an elite and teams that are interested in him will pay a good price because Gillis will not trade Lu for table scraps.

MG will look like an absolute fool if he doesnt get something decent for lou. Maybe if some of you are right that lou isnt worth much then lou will stay here long term.
I think he will be traded though and i think we will get a decent return.

What are our needs really? we dont need a defensman. we dont need a first liner and lous worth more than a thrid or fourth line guy. MR and booth are no good for the third line and we have ZK for the top six that we didnt have last year.
I think once kelser is back we are fine.
Personally i would like to see something coming back that is money in the bank for down the road. top pick or prospects
im not satisfied with just winning a cup i want this team to be permanantly strong
GOD BE PRAISED

#90 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Toronto and Minnesota, so far, are the only destinations to which Luongo can go.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.