114 replies to this topic

#61 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

3-4 years 5 million. If we could get them to sign for less, that'd be fantastic. They deserve more than they're making now, but they sacrifice for us.
Posted Image

#62 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

6 years?
Posted Image

#63 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

The Sedins are great guys, great players, and anyone one here who's proposing anything less than 5.5mil needs to give their head a shake.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 12 February 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#64 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

4.2mill for 6 years git er done.

#65 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Could see the Canucks agree to donate the money the twins would have donated to charity in order to lower the cap hit.

Team pays same $, kids receive same $, twins keep same salary. Roster gets stronger.

Edited by Number14, 11 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#66 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I doubt money wouldn't be an issue for them.
They should be allowed to retire as Canucks sporting Stanley cup rings!

#67 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

#68 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

2 year deals 4-4.5 million.. Would be ideal. Swedish players never seem to be greedy for the most part and i don't see the Sedins having a problem taking a pay cut for the better good of this team.

Not enough, at least $5 mil maybe even 6 mil and a 4 yr deal. If you look at current contracts 6 mil for the next 4 yrs would be a deal for sure and we need them to help progress pour young talent.

#69 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Identical 5 year contracts (until they're 39) @ around a 6.5 million dollar cap hit, and then year-by-year after that.

#70 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Daniel and Henrik, combined, should deliver 120 points per year from 2014-2015 onward for another three years. By current standards, that should be equivalent to one player (say Sidney Crosby) making $8.7 million per year (notwithstanding the old CBA rule stating that one player cannot represent more than 20% of max cap).

When was the last time Sidney Crosby or any player reached 120 points?

Posted Image

#71 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Why would the Sedin's need to take a paycut ? They will still be worth 6m+ per season when the current contract's runs out. It's one thing as a fan to assume a certain demographic of athlete is " not greedy ", say like Nicklas Lidstrom, but you don't insult franchise-type players by lowballing or offering less then previous to them either. The Sedins are respected and the Cancuks would not pull the " paycut " crap on them nor does the team need that.

Look at money per production in terms of our own team.

Raymond is scoring at about a 40 point, 20 goal pace right now and gets just over 2 million. Hansen is in similar territory, as is Higgins.
Kesler is getting paid 5 million dollars, mainly for his 40 goal, 70 point season and will now probably revert to a 50-60 point player at best.
Booth is getting just up of 4 million for scoring at a 25 goal, 50 point pace.

Now where will the Sedins fit in 2 seasons time? If they're still producing at a point-per-game at the end of next season then sure, give them 6 million. However, right now they're below a PPG, probably around a 60-70 point pace. That could slide further to a 50-60 point pace for the next season and go as low as 40-60 points by the time they have to negotiate.

If they're scoring the same amount of points as Booth, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are now then they deserve a similar contract - between 3 to 4.5 million per year.
Posted Image

#72 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

In my opinion, Sedins will be putting up good points until they are in their late 30's early 40's. I don't think their style of play will wear them out over time as it might for others.

#73 Mata10

Mata10

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Wasn't there an article during the lockout that said they may look to sign one year contracts after this one expires?

Sorry if this was already mentioned or referred to.

http://thecanuckway....cts-after-2014/

#74 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

whatever they want

This... the Sedins are not greedy by any stretch of the imagination, they just disagreed on the term last time around. And once they signed they gave $1.5 million to the BC Children's Hospital. Considering the outrageous numbers given out to other, lesser players around the league, I'd have no problem giving them $5 million+ for another 3-4 year term.

abl8vt.jpg

#75 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

They sign multiple 1-year contracts with Vancouver, until they retire. I see that happening.
Posted Image

#76 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Not surprised. Maybe go with a 2 or 3 year deal at 3 or 4 million per, depending on where their games are at that point.

I don't think I've ever agreed with any of your posts on here lol

I say 3-4 years at 5.5 million/year.

#77 Hexinvir

Hexinvir

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'd love to see them resign. I can totally see them being great players into their late 30's. I say try and resign them for 4-5 years, and i'd be fine with the Canucks paying them anywhere between 4-6 million per year.
Posted Image

#78 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

This... the Sedins are not greedy by any stretch of the imagination, they just disagreed on the term last time around. And once they signed they gave $1.5 million to the BC Children's Hospital. Considering the outrageous numbers given out to other, lesser players around the league, I'd have no problem giving them $5 million+ for another 3-4 year term.

also who else gives away 20% of their income for a year.
they took home approx 3.4m after taxes on a 6 mill income. so 750K is a big chunk of cash.
not that 2+ million is gonna make them hard off and lining up at the food bank to get some free bread. but still that is a huge amount to give away and says a lot about the people behind the talent.

these are two players i hope retire Canucks not because they are great players but because they are great people, the city of Vancouver can not chance losing these guys to Sweden we need to keep them in the community.

i am sure they will take a big pay cut esp if they have not won a cup i could see them sign for 3 years 3.5m per each just so we could start to build the future without sacrificing the present . ( would be more but the cap will limit there wage)
but i would also not complain if it was 4 years @ 6 mill per... i hope they stick around even if they win us a cup.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#79 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

the twins wont be taking a pay cut, and Gillis will make sure they retire as Canucks. it will be mutual and it will be a swift negotiaion @ the same salary they are currently earning.

#80 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

yeah you can tell they like it here , if they were homesick in the least bit they would have bolted over there during the lockout , good to see
Posted Image

#81 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I need to see Henrik's emotion lifting Lord Stanley...

One tear and all the years of Swedish nonchalence is forgiven in my eyes.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#82 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

they've said in the past they will only sign 1 year deals after current contract expires
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#83 PowerAids

PowerAids

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I hope we re-sign them until they choose to retire.

#84 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Well, that settles our 1st line for the next decade

Posted Image

#85 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Could see the Canucks agree to donate the money the twins would have donated to charity in order to lower the cap hit.

Team pays same $, kids receive same $, twins keep same salary. Roster gets stronger.

That would be blatant cap circumvention and would likely cost us some draft picks in addition to invalidating their contracts.

#86 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

When was the last time Sidney Crosby or any player reached 120 points?

Crosby reached it in '07 actually.

#87 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

I think MG should think outside of the box.
Bring the Sedins into a room without their agent.
Give them a pen and a checkbook and tell them to write what they want.
Sedins will talk amongst themselves, see the team salary cap structure and write a check to themselves which will ensure Canucks are strong for the rest of their careers

#88 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

That would be blatant cap circumvention and would likely cost us some draft picks in addition to invalidating their contracts.

I dont think it would be.

Theres so many ways to get around it. And it would be impossible to prove.

For instance:

MG: Hey Henrik and Daniel, we'd like to give you guys 6m each but am thinking about giving you guys 5m and donating 1m to the Hospital...what are your thoughts?

Sedins: Ok, where do we sign?

Hows that Cap circumvention?

#89 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Depends how they do between now and then. Contracts are based on what you think they'll do over the next contract. Will they be fading point wise by then or still at a point a game plus. I think they will get at least a three year deal as they keep themselves very fit and haven't undergone too much physical abuse over the years.

#90 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

One concern:Expansion situation. League's expected to go to 32 teams.

Unsure of how this works, but isn't there usually a list of say, 14 players each team chooses to protect ? If you make an agreement with the twins, on a 4 year term, for example, would it make sense to sign a one yr deal, 4 straight summers(thereby protecting 14 other skaters)? I'm assuming eligible UFA's don't get protected.

With Hamhuis also doing this, could Gillis use this strategy to our advantage in keeping more of our roster intact?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.