The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sedins want to re-sign after 2014

hockeyville88

Me as GM.....How long: five years....how much....whatever the market bares minus 10% hometown discount....what role....1st or 2nd line players and mentoring the young players which they are doing now.

GM MG---I think it will be less than this...expect tension between both camps similar to Edler but they'll get something done. The Sedins want to stay and will compromise on money and Gillis will compromise on term because, if the Sedins leave prematurely, he'll be run out of town by the fans.

They deserve at least 5 mil each. Many other players have played the free agency market and got more and produced much less. Anytime a player admits they want to stay with thier current team and not even try free agency, wins all my respect. Even if they never bring a cup to this city, we are very lucky to have them.

I'd like to see them sign a nice 4 year contract since it wont be a 35+ contract but I expect them to sign a 2 year deal with 1 year deals after that.

I have no problem if they get 6.1M a year again but I bet they will sign somewhere around 5.5M/yr

Iain MacIntyre

They deserve to retire as Canucks that's for sure.

The Sedins have been relatively healthy their whole careers (knock on wood) and they are still producing quite well. At the same time, after 2014 it will be time to give others a chance to be the go-to offensive producers of the team. If they are still putting up 80+ points though, it'll be hard to ease anyone else into that role. A lot of it depends on their capabilities as they age and also how well they are able to perform in the playoffs, but it would be great to have them still being the leaders of the team.

So the question is: how much, how long a contract, and in what role?

I'd say that they should be able to do what guys like Elias and Jagr are doing respectively as long as they keep making smart plays, not get injured (both those Czechs also rely on smarts to make plays with finesse, not to mention obvious skill, to prolong their careers to this point) and have an effective finisher/ space-opener in front of the net with whom to work. I wouldn't be surprised if their strong play lasts until then if they remain physically fit. Besides, they're only 32 whereas Jagr's 40, Elias is 36 himself and Selanne's still tearing it up as well at 42! If these Euro superstar vets can do it, why can't the Twins?

EDIT: Money-wise I'd say around $5M (or they'll take hometown discounts to stay. I can't imagine them in another jersey, and I really hope they'll be like Lidstrom in that they stick with one team for their entire careers).

Archived