3104 replies to this topic

#1 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Canucks First-Line

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Please use this thread for any discussion of a trade involving Roberto Luongo. Post all news & new information in the other pinned thread.

I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was.

Please read the Board Rules.

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

We want to trade this guy???
Posted Image

#3 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Will we make it to 10? :emot-parrot:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#4 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,423 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Wow, we're already at #6?
Posted Image

#5 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

How long will we go until he is traded

Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#6 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yeah well in return for Lou's contract we get 7 or 10 years of play out of Lou; an all star goalie. In return for taking on Dipietro's contract we get diddly!

Sampy suggested people do things like this and noted that Gretzky was Bought!

Well reality check!

Dipietro is not Gretzky!

And neither is Tavares; we are not paying $40 mill plus his proposal of Lou, Ballard, Schroeder and a first for Tavares. Players only, sure! But Islanders walk away even though its a big offer.

TManVan posted;

To be fair Luongo would be going the other way in the posters original proposal so getting rid of Luongo's contract and then buying out Dipietro would almost be a mute point.

Also any return that strenghtens the team also increases the chances of a deep playoff run, which in turn would further cancel out the Dipietro buyout with the financial gain of every home playoff game.

With that said though, the chance of the Islanders moving Tavares is probably close to zero.

#7 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Will we make it to 10? :emot-parrot:

Nah, with King gone this has slowed down considerably. I'd expect even if the trade comes in the summer, we might still be in 6.0 unless the rumour pot gets stirred heavily at some point.

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Nah, with King gone this has slowed down considerably. I'd expect even if the trade comes in the summer, we might still be in 6.0 unless the rumour pot gets stirred heavily at some point.

It is a long way to go to get there, but we've had CH101 pick up the slack (HUFFY was trying for a while there too) with his fairly constant suggestions of Schneider trades. I think you're right though, maybe 7.0, but not much more than that. Here's hoping a trade comes and we get a great return before it comes to that though!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

wait for markstrom to falter in florida.

#10 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

The Canucks want to trade Luongo?

CDC GM League Posted Image General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#11 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Looks like Fla called up Jacob Markstrom - says they need to cut goals against down: http://miamiherald.t...rce=twitterfeed

Curious if this doesn't work out, is the next step Luongo?

#12 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think when Luongo gets traded then Schneider will settle down and play great most of the time. It cant be easy for him to know that if he's not stellar between the pipes then he'll be replaced for the next game and possibly beyond.

#13 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Yeah well in return for Lou's contract we get 7 or 10 years of play out of Lou; an all star goalie. In return for taking on Dipietro's contract we get diddly!

Sampy suggested people do things like this and noted that Gretzky was Bought!

Well reality check!

Dipietro is not Gretzky!

And neither is Tavares; we are not paying $40 mill plus his proposal of Lou, Ballard, Schroeder and a first for Tavares. Players only, sure! But Islanders walk away even though its a big offer.

TManVan posted;

To be fair Luongo would be going the other way in the posters original proposal so getting rid of Luongo's contract and then buying out Dipietro would almost be a mute point.

Also any return that strenghtens the team also increases the chances of a deep playoff run, which in turn would further cancel out the Dipietro buyout with the financial gain of every home playoff game.

With that said though, the chance of the Islanders moving Tavares is probably close to zero.

You make zero sense.

"In return for taking on Dipietro's contract we get diddly!"
-No we get Tavares.

How'd you get the Dipietro Gretzky comparaison. I said buy Tavares, Dipietro contract is the price.
Yes, Gretzky was purchased. Why couldn't that happen again.

Then you go on to say the Nucks overpay and Isles would turn down. You are all over the map.

Tavares over her career would easily earn back the $40M. Tavares eliminates the Canucks only having a 'window' to win the cup.

#14 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's a lot easier to type the words 'buyout Dipietro's 40m' on an internet forum than it is to, y'know, actually willingly throw 40 Million dollars at someone else's mistake. Just sayin'.

#15 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think when Luongo gets traded then Schneider will settle down and play great most of the time. It cant be easy for him to know that if he's not stellar between the pipes then he'll be replaced for the next game and possibly beyond.

Intelligent post.

#16 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's a lot easier to type the words 'buyout Dipietro's 40m' on an internet forum than it is to, y'know, actually willingly throw 40 Million dollars at someone else's mistake. Just sayin'.

Completely agree. Trade would probably never happen. But you can't simply dismiss it as being impossible. Tavares would bring the Canucks a lot more future playoffs games, especially as the Sedin's wind down.

#17 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

The Islanders would have to buy Dipietro out themselves, if we could get Tavares with Luo and others I would JUMP all over it but not if it meant we take Dipietro that makes no sense at all!!!!
Posted Image

#18 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

i'm gonna say we'll get to #12 before Luo actually gets traded.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

FLA is more likely to have a fire sale and get rid of some of the older guys. It is not their time yet, maybe in a couple of years. Its time to gear up for the future.

IMO they will unlikely give up any of their top prospects for Luongo.

#20 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Dipietro's buyout is actually closer to 23 million, not that that's small change, but if Snow was hoping to shed that contract I think he'd have to give a lot more plum of a deal than simplyTavares while receiving Schneider, Schroeder, Ballard and a pick in return. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't jump at that deal and I see simply no way in the world that Vancouver parts with Schneider in that scenario, let alone a blockbuster package (including a first) - I wouldn't cut that deal for Tavares, let alone take Dipietro in addition.
It's possible that someone effectively takes Dipietro in exchange for some additional serious young talent from the Isles, but it's difficult to put a player value on a 23 million buyout. Imo Tavares and Dipietro for Luongo is probably not enough to make Aquillini write a cheque like that...the Isles are between a rock and a hard place where Dipietro is concerned - they are going to have to pay big regardless of the form it takes. I think they'd actually have to add more value to make it happen, but that's just my assessment.

Edited by oldnews, 20 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#21 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

FLA is more likely to have a fire sale and get rid of some of the older guys. It is not their time yet, maybe in a couple of years. Its time to gear up for the future.

IMO they will unlikely give up any of their top prospects for Luongo.

I think that the terrible start has pushed Tallon even more in the direction of patience - he doesn't see his current roster as a realistic contender, and he's not going to get hasty and compromise their future, when it's much brighter than the present, and the team hasn't been healthy or performing - I think it's even harder to part with assets when they are in the middle of a setback.

Edited by oldnews, 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#22 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you look at all the teams that could potentially have interest in Luongo ( Toronto, Florida, Washington, Tampa Bay, even Columbus) they all have one thing in common : They all at least have young goaltenders even if they are not playing up to par currently. Reimer, Scrivens, lindback, Holtby, Neuvirth, Markstrom, Mason.....

But where does that leave the Islanders??? They have nothing moving forward. Nilsson, Poulin? These guys aren't the answer. Dipietro is almost 32 years old and still hasn't found his game! It's time for them to cut their loses. I'm not saying they have to get Luongo, but out of all the teams mentioned they should have the most interest.

If they don't get a goalie in a trade they're going to end up having to completely overpay an average goalie just to show interest as an unrestricted free agent.

#23 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I think that the terrible start has pushed Tallon even more in the direction of patience - he doesn't see his current roster as a realistic contender, and he's not going to get hasty and compromise their future, when it's much brighter than the present, and the team hasn't been healthy or performing - I think it's even harder to part with assets when they are in the middle of a setback.

I totally agree, except...last year was their best year in a long time...it was all veteran players too and in 3 years when Bjugstad, Shore, Huberdeau, Howden, Petrovic, Gubranson and Markstrom are older, non of those good veterans will be around and if they are still around they'll be really old.

Ex: edmonton oilers- 5 allstar players, no one else.
FLA doesn't even have 5 all star prospects so if they do not bring in quality guys, their young players will inherit a junk team and the team will just continue to be junk.

they need to 1. Resign weiss, 2. Fix their Goaltending - Bjugstad, a 1st and Goc...does that really hurt FLA when their future centers would be Weiss, Huberdeau, Shore, Matthias???

they don't need more 1st rounder draft picks, they need more solid NHL players.

#24 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

If you look at all the teams that could potentially have interest in Luongo ( Toronto, Florida, Washington, Tampa Bay, even Columbus) they all have one thing in common : They all at least have young goaltenders even if they are not playing up to par currently. Reimer, Scrivens, lindback, Holtby, Neuvirth, Markstrom, Mason.....

But where does that leave the Islanders??? They have nothing moving forward. Nilsson, Poulin? These guys aren't the answer. Dipietro is almost 32 years old and still hasn't found his game! It's time for them to cut their loses. I'm not saying they have to get Luongo, but out of all the teams mentioned they should have the most interest.

If they don't get a goalie in a trade they're going to end up having to completely overpay an average goalie just to show interest as an unrestricted free agent.

Luongo is perfect for a team with a young goalie who still needs to find his way in the NHL. Perfect example is FLA- what better way to groom your future #1 goalie than have a happy Luongo mentor him. Luongo plays in FLA for 3-4 more years and by then Markstrom is totally ready for like an 8-9 year career with florida- thats over a decade of strong goaltending

#25 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Dipietro's buyout is actually closer to 23 million, not that that's small change, but if Snow was hoping to shed that contract I think he'd have to give a lot more plum of a deal than simplyTavares while receiving Schneider, Schroeder, Ballard and a pick in return. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't jump at that deal and I see simply no way in the world that Vancouver parts with Schneider in that scenario, let alone a blockbuster package (including a first) - I wouldn't cut that deal for Tavares, let alone take Dipietro in addition.
It's possible that someone effectively takes Dipietro in exchange for some additional serious young talent from the Isles, but it's difficult to put a player value on a 23 million buyout. Imo Tavares and Dipietro for Luongo is probably not enough to make Aquillini write a cheque like that...the Isles are between a rock and a hard place where Dipietro is concerned - they are going to have to pay big regardless of the form it takes. I think they'd actually have to add more value to make it happen, but that's just my assessment.

Thank you for understanding and having a conversation/opinion. I had troubles with others.
IMO Tavares is worth it but I'm obviously not the one writng the cheque.

#26 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I totally agree, except...last year was their best year in a long time...it was all veteran players too and in 3 years when Bjugstad, Shore, Huberdeau, Howden, Petrovic, Gubranson and Markstrom are older, non of those good veterans will be around and if they are still around they'll be really old.

FLA doesn't even have 5 all star prospects so if they do not bring in quality guys, their young players will inherit a junk team and the team will just continue to be junk.

they need to 1. Resign weiss, 2. Fix their Goaltending - Bjugstad, a 1st and Goc...does that really hurt FLA when their future centers would be Weiss, Huberdeau, Shore, Matthias???

I don't disagree at all - I've been proposing deals like Goc, Petrovic and Shore for a while, and they do have a bottleneck of prospects, but they've also had a lot of injuries this year that made it hard for them to part with anyone from their roster. I still think a deal with Florida is a possibility, but tanking thus far doesn't simply make it easier or more urgent for them to cut a deal.

#27 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I don't disagree at all - I've been proposing deals like Goc, Petrovic and Shore for a while, and they do have a bottleneck of prospects, but they've also had a lot of injuries this year that made it hard for them to part with anyone from their roster. I still think a deal with Florida is a possibility, but tanking thus far doesn't simply make it easier or more urgent for them to cut a deal.

agree, they would be more likely to make a move if they were doing solid but losing games due to poor goaltending-then Tallon would say to himself "I have a good group here and giving up a bit of future to get a star goaltender would elevate us to a playoff team."
unfortunately they are nowhere near a playoff team and while goaltending is their biggest issue, they have many many issues.

#28 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Luongo is perfect for a team with a young goalie who still needs to find his way in the NHL. Perfect example is FLA- what better way to groom your future #1 goalie than have a happy Luongo mentor him. Luongo plays in FLA for 3-4 more years and by then Markstrom is totally ready for like an 8-9 year career with florida- thats over a decade of strong goaltending

Nice..

#29 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

It looks like Florida has given up on Jose an Clemmensen. I guess Jose and his .893 SP and 3.37 GAA and Clemmensen and his .837 SP and 4.32 GAA, are not cutting it. The Panthers called up Markstrom as a last ditch effort to get some NHL goaltending.

Lu, Garrison, 2nd
For
Gudbranson, cap dump, goalie

#30 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

It looks like Florida has given up on Jose an Clemmensen. I guess Jose and his .893 SP and 3.37 GAA and Clemmensen and his .837 SP and 4.32 GAA, are not cutting it. The Panthers called up Markstrom as a last ditch effort to get some NHL goaltending.

Lu, Garrison, 2nd
For
Gudbranson, cap dump, goalie

Can you stop trying to trade Garrison?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.