The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is up with Lappy?

Off_The_Schneid!

With a team that is swamped with AHL players the only one that stands out to me is Maxime Lappierre. Why is it that no one is mentioning him in there posts. He is the most difficult player to watch on tge canucks line up right now. He doesn't score, doesn't create any opportunities for his line mates , doesn't play physical, doesn't draw penalties. The other game against Phoenix he had difficulties getting the pick out of his own end. He looks extremely slow out there and at a time where we need him the most he's been the most invisible player out there. He is the reason we need to pick up another center because if he would have been able to step into that third line center role and contribute we would have been fine. We need to pick up a young center at the deadline and not bother resigning him next year. I know everyone is going to say that he's a beast in the playoffs, but the way he's playing now it seems highly unlikely.

He has had a rough go lately and I'm sure he knows it. But like you say he is a known playoff performer, and I'll take a lack lustre regular season if he can push it in the playoffs.

He has been doing alright save for some of the unnecessary penalties he has taken. He is good on faceoffs and when he is playing well sound defensively. We need that from him

He plays better when he plays on edge, yapping and getting in the faces of his opponents. Hope he picks it up for the playoffs.

The penalties he is taking (or causing) is because of mental mistakes. Make the game simple and bang the puck off the boards instead of trying to pretend you are Crosby and can stick handle through the opposition.

another thing to consider is that he bulked up in the off season....lost some of his speed but i think his extra strength with pay off in the playoffs.

for whatever reason Lapierre always steps up his play in the playoffs....I remember a few years ago when Montreal made it to the conference finals, Lapierre was a beast- blocking shots and sacrificing his body and doing all the little things to help his team win.

I thought he was a machine against L.A. He was pretty much the player we need when facing teams like Los Angeles because all he does is hit. That's what he did, thats what he is expected to do. Your typical 4th line centerman. Not sure why everyone is complaining. It seems like Canucks fans are clueless and think, everyone on your line up should be a point producing machine.

He has barely had time to adjust to all the line switching and crazy things that have been swirling around this team. Plus I hear he has a bad groin. There have been shifts where he has been the best Canuck on the ice. I don't think much is wrong with him that can't be fixed with stabilized lines.

Lapierre does have the occasional brain cramp.

He also added 20lbs in the offseason, which imo wasn't the greatest idea - I personally prefer quickness over bulk.

But let's be fair here - Lapierre is a shutdown center and he's performing that role in the absence of another shutdown center in the lineup. He's also changing his game - which will involve some growing pains. He's being asked to avoid the extra-curricular and doing so may take a bit of edge out of his game in the short term, but it will probably also make him a better player. As things stand, the Canucks, without Malhotra, cannot afford to have Lapierre playing an agitating role - he has to stay on the ice. And as mentioned above - he steps up when it really counts.

He's also getting merely 21.8% offensive zone starts and creating 45.4% finishes. He wins the balance of his faceoffs. He may not be scoring points, which is not his role, particularly in this context, but he is creating possession and territory that then goes to advantage players like the twins.

He is having his ups and downs, but he's playing a difficult role quite well imo (it may not be obvious, but his role has changed). With another depth center who can win faceoffs, I think some pressure and load will come off him - but regardless, I think he's an important guy who wil be re-signed.

The only times I really notice Lapierre out there these days is when he makes a bad play, which isn't often enough for me to be worried. He's playing a solid game, doing his job, he's been great on the PK, and he has had a chance or two. Great in the faceoff circle like others have mentioned, and that's something we really need right now.

With Manny out, I think Lappy has been trying to step into his role a bit, faceoff guy, team leader instead of yappy agitator. He played the agitator role really well, but I think now he's trying something new. So far it hasn't been terrible.

He is having his ups and downs, but he's playing a difficult role quite well imo (it may not be obvious, but his role has changed). With another depth center who can win faceoffs, I think some pressure and load will come off him - but regardless, I think he's an important guy who wil be re-signed.

Archived