The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All We are Saying...Is Give Booth a Chance

Angry Goose

I'm not automatically opposed to getting rid of Booth at least to the extent that he is a big salary and would have to be the prime candidate to cut loose if we needed to clear cap space for a big acquisition. (Ballard and Lu will obviously go too but that just covers the cap drop and raises for certain guys). That said, short of replacing him with someone better (which may not be possible) I feel reasonably good about him. A lot of hate gets dumped on Booth but all of it is pretty nonsensical. Here's why:

"Booth just sucks! He has no chemistry with Kesler"

Nope. During the time he was healthy in 2012 Booth lit it up. Him and Kesler looked great together and he scored at over a 20 goal pace despite needing to adjust to a new team and coming back from his nasty injury. And keep in mind that a chunk of that time Kesler was also seriously hurt. If you factor out that last stretch his GPG number climbs even higher.

"But this year! 4.2 Million for one empty net goal!"

Yes. In about a dozen games. During which he actually didn't look bad at all. Good even, considering he was tossed into the lineup without any training camp or preseason after a massive layoff and made to play with the black hole that was the Canucks 2nd line center this season. Sure, he only converted on one empty net goal but his possession numbers were excellent. Over such a small sample size those numbers are a lot more meaningful that his actual goal total. Had he stayed healthy that goal total would surely have balanced out.

"But he won't stay healthy! He's injury prone"

Being injury prone is not a thing. Unless its some kind of specific recurring injury, a guy getting hurt repeatedly is just bad luck. Booth has suffered a very unfortunate string of injuries that have handicapped his effectiveness but there's no rational reason to think that'll continue.

"But I hate him! He hunts! He's religious! He's a conservative!"

His politics and opinions...don't matter in the slightest. He does nothing illegal. You don't have to like him personally. If he's an effective player how you feel about him as a person is irrelevant.

I'd rather cut Booth, and spend the money on free agents.

There will likely be a lot of bargains available this offseason. Players who were good, but overpaid, and have been let go or bought-out, simply because of the cap going down and the amnesty buyout available. Guys just like Booth (and for one team, a guy who IS Booth), but at a fraction of the cost.

Averages 23 goals a season in his career.

Good underlying numbers.

Perhaps not the easiest person for some folks to relate to, but the criticisms of the guy are overdone.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?f1=2012_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?f1=2011_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

I agree, but I also feel like it came down to who was going to be the coach of this team. I felt if AV was somehow going to be here for another year, I would of said trade Booth for someone else. Now that he's gone, and if Gillis actually brings in a more offensive style coach like he is saying he wants to have, then I say give Booth 1 full year to see what he can really do, if he also can stay healthy. Although if a trade came available, where say Raymond and Booth were in a trade for a player similar to Booth, but actually produces, forsure I would take the trade.

New coach, new systems, new forecast = clean slate.

I really was quite impressed by Booth's play before the injury, but I don't believe the reward is worth the risk. (injuries)

I hope the new coach is allowed to see what he really has in Ballard, I guess I would venture to say that with the rest of the team as well.

In my mind MG has gotten a reprieve and he will really have to evaluate where this team is at as far as talent is concerned, I also believe that AV had stifled the evaluation process with his coaching /management style.

Even I am scratching my head at where some of the core players talent levels are at. I thought I knew, but really I'm not sure anymore or question if I ever really did know.

I think with a new head coach the answers should become more clear as far as the core groups dedication, the talent of our young players etc. We may not like the answers of what should become more apparent.

Give him another chance where exactly ? The guys not a second liner unless he has a pass first centre to distribute him the puck. Even then what's telling you that he won't continue to be injury prone as he gets Older? He's got no chemistry with kesler and was garbage in the playoffs against the kings .

Doug Maclean hit the nail on the head yesterday on team 1040 when he said that gillis needs to look hard at the people who made the recommendations to him to go after players like Ballard booth bernier Roy and can em

My biggest issue with Booth is his lack of versatility. He is too one-dimensional. If he could be effective on the PK and were a better back-checker then he might be worth his salary. The really good players recognize their weaknesses and work to improve them. He hasn't seemed to improve his weaker areas since he's been here. That to me is a red flag.

My biggest issue with Booth is his lack of versatility. He is too one-dimensional. If he could be effective on the PK and were a better back-checker then he might be worth his salary. The really good players recognize their weaknesses and work to improve them. He hasn't seemed to improve his weaker areas since he's been here. That to me is a red flag.

Archived