The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sestito has untapped potential

Canuckler87

Considering people have been screaming for the team to have a legitimate enforcer type for some time now, you'd think that more fans would like the guy.

The way he came in to that scrum last night was fearsome!

Totally agree! He came in with fiery purpose! Love it, and I hope the Italian connection pays off this year!

• 9 months later...

But Cam Janssen can fight which is a skill

Sestito has no one attribute that someone could say, you know what? Tom Sestito is pretty darn good at_____.

He's pretty good at sucker punching guys off the face off. Other than that.... remember, we got him because he passed through half the teams in the NHL on waivers. Pure goon and not a very good one at that.

Decent hand and decent speed. We have no real idea of what he can do because that wasn't tried. There were periods last spring where the 4th line was controlling the o-zone and doing exactly what 4th lines are meant to do. It is pretty clear to me that Sestito is coachable but has had little of that while in Van.

Pretty obvious that Sestito's biggest weakness is in his own zone. We will see what Willy can bring to helping these guys.

Who would have thought Burrows and Sestito would finish the season with an equal number of goals lol.

Sestito was rated one of the best comeback fighters and lead the league in majors. Won scraps against fairly tough guys - Barch, McCormick, Peluso, Jackman, Neil in addition to having very close tilts with heavyweights like McGrattan, Gazdic, and Orr.

While he hasn't quite vaulted himself into full goon heavyweight status he can certainly take on most "tough" fourth liners and hold his own against some of the league's best.

As a player he improved in spades. While he isn't a guy I would want playing 82 games he is an awesome 13th forward/tough guy.

Not to be critical of the guy, but I'm not feeling very hopeful of him doing much. I think there are other 4th line options that would be better.

I agree, there were a couple times last year watching him i thought to myself: "i hope he leaves with Torts"

Who would have thought Burrows and Sestito would finish the season with an equal number of goals lol.

Sestito was rated one of the best comeback fighters and lead the league in majors. Won scraps against fairly tough guys - Barch, McCormick, Peluso, Jackman, Neil in addition to having very close tilts with heavyweights like McGrattan, Gazdic, and Orr.

While he hasn't quite vaulted himself into full goon heavyweight status he can certainly take on most "tough" fourth liners and hold his own against some of the league's best.

As a player he improved in spades. While he isn't a guy I would want playing 82 games he is an awesome 13th forward/tough guy.

Sestito is an okay 4th liner and I actually have seen gradual improvement from him. 5-9 goals isn't out of the question. He could use to clean up his +- though. And I'm actually not against trying him on the PP if it's anywhere near as bad as last year (with the coaching change I'd rather wait and see).

Our PP was an absolute joke last year and was perhaps the biggest reason we missed the playoffs. We were only several games out of the playoffs, and we gave away so many 1 goal games. If our PP potted a goal even every 2nd or 3rd game we could have made the playoffs. We were only like 5 wins away from making it, and how many nights would the PP have made a difference over 82 games especially considering how many we "just fell short" in? So yeah, if putting 6'5" Sestito in front of the net to screen & pick up the garbage goals improves things, why not?

Yes, Sestito has the potential to improve into a third line grinder. Guess who was already improving enough to become a third line grinder? That would be Dale Weise. Hey, didn't we waive Dale Weise? Didn't he score multiple GWGs in the playoffs?

Now, look at Jannick Hansen's contract. Has Hansen ever demonstrated any top-six offensive talent during his time with the team? Nope, his career high in points is 39 and he can only play one position. He's a third liner who can wear other teams down with speed, puck possession and a bit of grit.

Sestito is a talented hockey player, that's for sure. He's also slow, he has bad puck control and he shouldn't have gotten a two-year contract in the first place.

I'm basically taking the time in this thread to address certain issues regarding the previous Canucks management. First of all, the acquisition of Malhotra, Hamhius, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Higgins, Torres, Lapierre and Richardson were far better than the laundry list of blunders, minus Luongo and Mitchell, that previous GM Dave Nonis compiled.

Where did MG go wrong? He failed to recognize that while Sestito is a big grinder who possessed decent underlying numbers in his time with Philadelphia, Sestito simply lacks speed. MG failed to understand that his "trickle-down" theory applied to the fourth line and that The only indicator MG even had that Sestito possessed hockey talent was from a computer, he didn't check to see if the player could skate or wear down opponents.

Well then act your age. Saying a rebuttable in the way of "your a joke" after one makes a criticism that already used that is pathetic and speaks to your intelligence

I"m sorry but your comment was kind of nonsense.

Archived