The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Reviewing Weise's Hit / Kassian's High Stick

Drouin

Kassian's high sticking looked accidental, and like someone already posted, if he gets suspended I think it'll be because of the outcome not because of intent. It's unfortunate that he got seriously injured.

Weise's hit did look like intent to injure though, I won't be surprised to see a suspension for it.

And that 5 games was the correct amount?????????????????????????????????????? Common are you serious. He lead with his elbow pad into a guys face! I'm pretty sure John Bones Jones does the same thing in the UFC. This is the NHL where player safety is a major concern, but if you can take a guy out for the rest of the season, and only miss 5 games, playoffs or not, what's deterring people from eliminating star players by injuring them? He planned the whole way to hit him in the head. That was not a usually position to have your arm in going in to make a check on someone who even wasn't facing him.

Keith is Garbage.

They should just make suspensions equal to time it takes to get back from the injury, as long as the intent is evident ala. Keith on Sedin.

I don't think either deserve further punishment. Kass was careless with his stick, but there was no intent to injure. He deserved the penalty, but not a suspension.

Weise (he who got held by one guy and then sucker punched by another, resulting in a facial cut though Weise received the only penalty, for unsportsmanlike no less) barely raised his shoulder. He does NOT raise his elbow and in fact you can even see he pulls his arm closer to his body just before the hit. I don't even think he hit Hall's head at all. I think he barely grazed him on the shoulder. That is not suspensendable. Or at least, it shouldn't be in a fair NHL. So he'll probably get 3 years.

I don't think either deserve further punishment. Kass was careless with his stick, but there was no intent to injure. He deserved the penalty, but not a suspension.

Weise (he who got held by one guy and then sucker punched by another, resulting in a facial cut though Weise received the only penalty, for unsportsmanlike no less) barely raised his shoulder. He does NOT raise his elbow and in fact you can even see he pulls his arm closer to his body just before the hit. I don't even think he hit Hall's head at all. I think he barely grazed him on the shoulder. That is not suspensendable. Or at least, it shouldn't be in a fair NHL. So he'll probably get 3 years.

Kassian's play was just idiotic. Flailing your stick around with that velocity is just reckless. If I were the Oilers I'd be pissed. Imagine losing Daniel Sedin to a broken jaw in pre-season from a reckless play like that... should be suspendable.

Lol at all the Canuck homers jumping all over Tom Sestito for not being a biased homer. There is no league bias, just inconsistent punishments. If you actually pay attention you'll see many teams and various players getting the shaft, its not just us. Ridiculous. Every bad call or missed called etc has to be league bias though right? Watch some other teams games.

Wow, Oilers fans at Hf are claiming that Kassian swung his stick intentionally... Reckless, but clearly unintentional.

Maybe Nucks fans can claim that Yakupov aimed for Schroeder's ankle? Or that the Oiler player slewfooted Negrin?

Steve Bennett, your time is now.

Lol at all the Canuck homers jumping all over Tom Sestito for not being a biased homer. There is no league bias, just inconsistent punishments. If you actually pay attention you'll see many teams and various players getting the shaft, its not just us. Ridiculous. Every bad call or missed called etc has to be league bias though right? Watch some other teams games.

Right? As soon as i stated that my family pay 30k a year for tickets during the regular season, excluding the playoffs, I didn't get a response. It's just false accusations because they're homers, and I'm stating the obvious. Also Brahma Bull, in a way I do agree with you that it was worth maybe 7 games instead, but that's not a huge difference. It's just the fact that people are defending weise and accusing me of not being a canucks fan without any knowledge.

Even weises hit, you can see hall come out from the boards at the last minute, even dipped his head just before the hit... I think weise was going for a big shoulder to shoulder check. With that said, probly 2 games cuz he's responsible for making that hit clean regardless of how reckless and careless hall plays. Kassian shouldn't get anything but its the canucks so 1-3 games.

The only part of Weise that made contact with Hall was his back and it was on Hall's visor. Wasn't even a minor penalty but regardless, Hall is going to be the cause of more suspensions than any other player until the day his mindset of invincibility catch up with him.

Kass' penalty and a fine seems perfectly reasonable though. Needs to keep his stick down but not suspension-worthy and he needs to chip in on Gagner's new dental work. How Gagner's jaw is broken is beyond me though. The guy does not seem built for the game if a one-handed stick to the teeth is all it takes.

However despite this being clear to everyone and their dog, we know that the NHL doesn't review penalized plays by the Canucks just to say "Nope. Looks all fine." My only question is when does the next WHA come around? All the good teams are getting fed up with the NHL doctrine of playing such obvious favourites and spitting in the face of the game and its fans.

Even weises hit, you can see hall come out from the boards at the last minute, even dipped his head just before the hit... I think weise was going for a big shoulder to shoulder check. With that said, probly 2 games cuz he's responsible for making that hit clean regardless of how reckless and careless hall plays. Kassian shouldn't get anything but its the canucks so 1-3 games.

Archived