The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you guys think Lack can develop into a good starting goalie?

Tom Sestito

I was thinking about this.

In the next few years, can you see Lack turning into a solid starting goalie? Maybe not eye-popping good, but a guy who can be a consistent top 15 goalie in this league?

Yes he could develop into a fantastic goalie. That being said, if we couldn't trade Luongo this time around we will have zero chance in a few years. I'm not sure what the Canucks are going to do in the future but it's going to be interesting. I foresee another Luongo/Schneider situation in 2 years and it's going to get ugly again.

Yes he could develop into a fantastic goalie. That being said, if we couldn't trade Luongo this time around we will have zero chance in a few years. I'm not sure what the Canucks are going to do in the future but it's going to be interesting. I foresee another Luongo/Schneider situation in 2 years and it's going to get ugly again.

Luongo better be gone if this happens again. Can't put the poor guy through another situation like that.

Luongo better be gone if this happens again. Can't put the poor guy through another situation like that.

You can't trade him, you can't send him down and by then you can't buy him out for free so what do you do ? Buy him out and have him on your cap for the next 14 years ?

At that point, if Lack's good enough, he'll be bought out for his last few years.

He's making 6.7 this year, along with 6.7 for the next four years after that. Then it drops down to 3.5 ish, and then 1+1 for the final two years.

I think we'll be able to tell in the next 3 seasons if Lack has the ability to be a starting goalie for us. Luongo gets bought out after the 2016-2017 season when he's 37?

Either way, i'd rather this be about Lack's abilities instead of the possibility of another goaltending situation. I doubt it's going to happen anyways

Actually, the more time that goes by the more attractive Luongo will look to other teams. As the cap goes up so does the floor and as such his cap hit of $5.33 annually will be attractive to more and more teams. especially if they're cash strapped as during his last 4 years his actual salary bottoms out. Luongo will be a great goalie for at least 2-4 more seasons, then he'll be a good goalie. Then he'll be a backup.

Think Thomas, last year his "rights and contract/cap hit" were the property of the Islanders even though he never played a game, his cap hit helped the Isles be cap floor compliant.

Luongo moving forward could be the exact same, especially as the estimates of the cap ceiling being upwards of $90 million by 2020 could prove true.

I personally, as per the OP's questions wouldn't worry about Lack becoming a good to great starter in the league, so much as I would worry about him becoming a solid backup first

You can't trade him, you can't send him down and by then you can't buy him out for free so what do you do ? Buy him out and have him on your cap for the next 14 years ?

There's an out clause in a few years or so. Don't know the exact details but I know you can get out of the contract.

There's an out clause in a few years or so. Don't know the exact details but I know you can get out of the contract.

And what do you think an "Out-Clause" is ? The contract magically dissapears ?

What the out-clause is - If Luongo isn’t pleased with where the team is at, or where it’s heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads — one year after the Sedins’ current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.

He still needs to be traded and the original problems still arise.

http://www.faceoff.c...85-6c328be5e1d1

The devil is so often in the details and there are some interesting ones in the Luongo contract which is set to pay him $64 million US over the 12 years. It’s no secret that most people don’t believe Luongo will play all 12 years, which would take him to age 43. Chances are he will retire before then, and most see him playing just eight or nine years in Vancouver. But it could be far less. This deal includes several “escape clauses,” mitigating risk by giving both parties an out if they’re unhappy.

The first comes five years into the extension. If Luongo isn’t pleased with where the team is at, or where it’s heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads — one year after the Sedins’ current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.

It’s likely Luongo would be a valuable commodity, coveted by NHL teams even at age 36. If it were to happen, the team which traded for him would owe him $27.2 million for the final seven years of his deal.

Two years later, after the contract extension’s seventh year, the Canucks have a reciprocal clause. If they want to go in another direction, they will have an opportunity to move Luongo despite his no-trade clause.

Luongo would be 38 years old. But, if he’s still playing at an elite level, should remain an intriguing trading chip. At that point of the deal Luongo would have five years left and he would be owed just $13.714 million.

The escape clauses will be a story down the road. For now, they may raise some concerns, especially from an insecure fan base which has, in the past, doubted Luongo’s commitment to Vancouver. But Gillis, a former agent, said there’s nothing to worry about as he doesn’t see anything unusual in the clauses.

“They are commonplace for high end players,” he said. “Especially for contracts that have term like this. It is not unique.”

There are a couple more scenarios which may play out over the course of the contract. With his limited no-trade, Luongo did not get a no-movement clause. It leaves the slim possibility that the Canucks could put him on the waiver wire or demote him to the minors in the later years of the deal. It’s admittedly preposterous but possible all the same.

If Luongo wanted to keep playing into his twilight years, and the team wanted to move on, the more likely scenario would see the Canucks buy out Luongo’s contract. Because his contract is heavily front-loaded, a buyout would provide a lot of relief after eight years: The Canucks would have paid $57-million to Luongo at that point, leaving just $7 million over the remaining four years. With a buyout amount of $4.7-million (two thirds of $7 million) spread over twice the remaining length of the 2-year deal, the Canucks would owe just $587,000 a year.

I see him as a starting goaltender but not an elite one. He'll be something like a Neuvirth or Lindback. Someone who can step in and play some games, but most likely not a guy you would want in your net to go into the SCF

Potential for a 1b but no more.

I don't know why you would say that. He had very similar #s to CS until his injury.

It's way to early to predict how Lack will turn out. Hip injuries can really mess up a goalie's physical ability. Hopefully, he will be able to continue to develop along the lines of Mason/Roloson/Smith.

Archived