The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you guys think Lack can develop into a good starting goalie?

Tom Sestito

Actually, the more time that goes by the more attractive Luongo will look to other teams. As the cap goes up so does the floor and as such his cap hit of $5.33 annually will be attractive to more and more teams. especially if they're cash strapped as during his last 4 years his actual salary bottoms out. Luongo will be a great goalie for at least 2-4 more seasons, then he'll be a good goalie. Then he'll be a backup.

Think Thomas, last year his "rights and contract/cap hit" were the property of the Islanders even though he never played a game, his cap hit helped the Isles be cap floor compliant.

Luongo moving forward could be the exact same, especially as the estimates of the cap ceiling being upwards of $90 million by 2020 could prove true.

I personally, as per the OP's questions wouldn't worry about Lack becoming a good to great starter in the league, so much as I would worry about him becoming a solid backup first

Exactly, I don't get how some people can't understand this concept.

A high cap hit with a low actual pay = a huge benefit to cap floor teams. Especially when that goalie is still putting up decent numbers.

Potential has to be reached.

I think he'll at least become comparable to Anders Lindback (not that he's very good) and if we're lucky, as someone mentioned, we'd get a poor man's Pekka Rinne. I also liked how quiet his movements were in net yesterday, and he reminded me of Schneider by how he just lets things hit him and doesn't get too out of position or anything.

Of course, back on topic, time will tell.

Of course he could.

How about in the meantime we let the potential Luongo drama (all speculation) be water under the bridge? If he happens to want to trigger an out clause there's nothing we can do about it so why help make it happen by constantly harping about it?

Honestly, no. He just doesn't give you those OMG moments. But who knows give him more time.

Just how has he been able to give you and "OMG moment" at this juncture in his very short career. My God man he has only played one NHL hockey game. You are right when you say he needs time so let's not sell him short or start predicting his future abilities because of his inexperience.

IMVHO he has a lot of potential and someone in the know believes in his future otherwise he would not be in the NHL right now.

Goaltending is such a goofy position to attempt predictions on.

I'd say that like every goalie currently playing in the NHL, Eddie Lack has the potential to become either an ECHL backup or a multiple Vezina winner. It's just that tough to accurately predict these guys' careers.

Look at Tim Thomas's playing history.

Eddie Lack is far more accomplished and has much higher value than Thomas did at age 25 (when he was playing at the AHL/IHL level with a SV% between 0.890 and 0.910 and a GAA between 3 and 4). Of course, Thomas's career is on the extremes but it gives a good indication of the range of possibilities.

My best guess is that Lack will be a solid starting goalie in the NHL, at least for a few years of his professional career. He has good physical traits and he has the right personality and attitude to handle the unique requirements of the position. His natural ability and his athleticism are both solid. He has a good skillset and fundamentals. He seems very coachable.

Of course, all that and a five spot will buy you a coffee at Starbucks and not much more.

Like every goalie, he could flame out at any time or he could suddenly soar to the heights of the NHL's elite group of starters.

Predictions become easier once a guy has established a body of work at the highest levels as past accomplishments are always the best indicators for future performance. And even then, goaltending is so dependent on the quality of the team playing in front of the net and the systems employed by the skaters on the ice that it's very hard to get an accurate read on how much a goalie is actually contributing to his own success.

More than anything else, it's Lack's easy going nature and happy-go-lucky personality that I believe will serve him well in achieving success in this league. Goaltending is the most mentally-based of all positions and roles in hockey--by a long shot--and Lack seems to have the right mental makeup for success as an NHL starter.

He is going to be at worst Jason Labarbera and at best a poor mans Pekka Rinne.

He has all the right tools. He has the right tempermant. His first start was encouraging and at the same time very difficult.He would like to have Monahan's shot back as well as stretched out further on the breakaway. Two years from now both those shots do not go in.

I feel great about the Schneider trade. Even better than before. I think if Eddie develops and we can score a proven veteran back up, we can trade Luongo this offseason or buy him out.

I had a very clear view of the Monahan goal. Monahan looked Lack off to the winger on the other wing and then shot top shelf. It was a perfect shot. Quite possible that Lack thought that the dman would be to late to cover the other winger. He shouldn't lose any sleep over that goal.

Lack is so tall (6'5") that he stands up straight and looks over most players to locate the puck and then drops into position. He did that a number of times in Calgary. Kinda comical.

Lack has had 2 pre-season games and 1 reg season game against, arguably, the worst team in the league and so out of this one is supposed to draw a conclusion that he will become a decent goal tender. The question should be = is he able to fill Cory Schneider's shoes. My answer is no, not right now, maybe in time but by then he will have been dealt for yet another pylon!!...

I had a very clear view of the Monahan goal. Monahan looked Lack off to the winger on the other wing and then shot top shelf. It was a perfect shot. Quite possible that Lack thought that the dman would be to late to cover the other winger. He shouldn't lose any sleep over that goal.

Lack is so tall (6'5") that he stands up straight and looks over most players to locate the puck and then drops into position. He did that a number of times in Calgary. Kinda comical.

Point taken. I thought Monahan went 5 hole. I looked at it again and it was perfect. I wonder if he challenges more next time to take that angle away.

• 2 months later...
Guest Cuporbust2

Early injury history puts a kink in his plans.

Lu had surgery that usually causes more problems and hasn't had any big issues with it since. That's not true at all. Lack is fine.

Archived