The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whine that rhymes with Share It

Slegr

Go to TSN's website.

Bring up a Canucks story and then read the comments from other fans. Those are the fans who's opinions you are worried about. Not convinced? What about the sheep on HFboards that swallow every piece of negative media?

As far as reffing is concerned, I don;t buy a league mandate (except when it suspensions) but refs incompetence seems to work out better for some teams more than others and Garrett is quick to point it out. He may e a homer but he does know the game.

A good example was a game were Burrows was looking to break to the net but it appeared his stick was slashed out of his hands. Garrett was lived till he saw a better angle. Burr had a loose grip on his stick and the ref was right not to call it. So Garrett immediately retracted and sided with the ref. In San Jose they would be calling for a suspension the rest of the game.

Do you know that the main camera feed (the one on 95% of the time) is the same camera on both broadcasts? He works for the home broadcast (in this case, Sportsnet) and his feed is shared with the visiting broadcast in order to save them money. This happens on EVERY NHL game.

You know you probably shouldn't run your mouth about something you clearly know nothing about.

Well that was kinda mean. I just hate the fact that there's so much zooming in and out. I'd rather it stays zoomed out a lot more. It just seemed like it was different at the time, but I guess there wasn't much of an opportunity for the zooming in and out.

jeez

So last year when Garret wrote no conspiracy articles there was not a single soul in Vancouver who thought there was a conspiracy? Give me a break

Garret starting writing along the lines of that stuff this year and is one of rare times someone in Vancouver does write that stuff. Your argument that Vancouver media has lead the fans to think their is a conspiracy is totally false as the media rarely writes about it and Garret never publicly called out the officiating on a broadcast.

The source was from the Boston, LA and SJ series. The canucks may have not deserved to win the last two series but any person with a set of eyes could see that the refs were clearly against us.

Vancouver fans are smart for the most part and CDC does not even correctly represent them. They don't get persuaded by media and in fact criticize it if it is ever wrong. They make there own judgements on the game based on their observations.

Well that was kinda mean. I just hate the fact that there's so much zooming in and out. I'd rather it stays zoomed out a lot more. It just seemed like it was different at the time, but I guess there wasn't much of an opportunity for the zooming in and out.

jeez

Mean? Didn't you just call someone "trash" and "retarded"?

jeez

For someone who is happy to engage in name calling, you are awfully sensitive. I predict a sad and dissappointing life for you.

You should watch some other city's feed now and again, they are actually quite fair in comparison.

So right. I often turn on the other broadcast on gamecentre for fun but sometimes (LA, Pitt come to mind off the top) the guys are so over the top homers I can't handle it.

Love Garrett. Yeah I think he's a bit of a whiner too. LOL.

But he's got the rep to back it up. And personally I prefer his personality over usual, TV slick polish personality of someone like Kevin Weekes.

+ 1 for being a former player

+ 1 for being a former Canuck

+ 1 for having a sense of humour about being a former player and Canuck

+ 1 for his dedication to product research at Safeway

+ 10 for his masks

Garrettcollection.png

"Shove it" rhymes with "share it" and that's my message to Bettman, Colon Campbell, Shannahan, the sports media who ragged on us in 2010-1, OP, and anyone else who doesn't think there's a consistent bias against us in both league officiating and media coverage. Of course other teams have to suffer through the ridiculous incompetence of NHL officiating, but on top of that already unacceptable baseline there is systematic, non-random discrimination against the Canucks.

Love Garrett. Yeah I think he's a bit of a whiner too. LOL.

But he's got the rep to back it up. And personally I prefer his personality over usual, TV slick polish personality of someone like Kevin Weekes.

+ 1 for being a former player

+ 1 for being a former Canuck

+ 1 for having a sense of humour about being a former player and Canuck

+ 1 for his dedication to product research at Safeway

+ 10 for his masks

Garrettcollection.png

aha i love how he so casually states how much he sucked on any game he brought up xD

Yawn.

He wrote one article on the obvious differnce in penalties being called in Canucks games and guess what? It started to get more respectable after. Cheech doesn't say much compared to most color guys, which I like, and he gives us the lowdown on the stuff we cant see as viewers. Plus his comments on the Safeway score and win food make it all worth it.

NHL has the worst officiating in any big 4 sport in N. America and they don't do anything about it. They just give the same excuse ' Its a fast sport' That's total bull. The two ref system has actually made it worse.

You should watch some other city's feed now and again, they are actually quite fair in comparison.

depends on the station, some are downright idiotic in their homerisim, but some are actually balanced (usually non-traditional hockey markets, or smaller market teams; it seems the bigger the following the worse the commentators)

"Shove it" rhymes with "share it" and that's my message to Bettman, Colon Campbell, Shannahan, the sports media who ragged on us in 2010-1, OP, and anyone else who doesn't think there's a consistent bias against us in both league officiating and media coverage. Of course other teams have to suffer through the ridiculous incompetence of NHL officiating, but on top of that already unacceptable baseline there is systematic, non-random discrimination against the Canucks.

I agree we definitely aren't league favorites and the last three playoffs series proves that but what about the SJ one in 2011?

I don't buy that it is possible to get 3 5 on 3s in span of four minutes its just impossible. The league definety helped us for at least one or two games that series.

I don't know why they did whether they did for the awesome story-line we had or the fact MG called out the league and he never did that and they wanted to prove him wrong. But then they totally put they totally switched the way it was called next series and it made no sense.

I thank the league for whatever they did that series as I watched the team form for a long time and it was nice for them to reach the finals and at least try to get a cup.

i, like the dandy above me, strongly disliked Larscheid.

That make three of us. (minus the "dandy" part...)

A lot of people probably don't realize that Larscheid got the Canucks gig because he was in the right place at the right time. He was originally hired to do color on BC Lions broadcasts. When 'NW acquired the rights to the Canucks as well, Larscheid was teamed up with Jim Robson, despite having absolutely zero hockey background.

Don't get me wrong, Tommy has given Canuck fans some of the best sound bites in broadcasting history, ("Pavel Bure's groin has never felt better!" comes to mind right away) but when it comes to hockey knowledge, he doesn't come anywhere close to Cheech.

One other thing: How many times have we seen Garrett point out something like (in Carolina) "I'm pretty sure Setito got his stick on that shot and they'll be changing the scoring on that goal"...?

It's uncanny. Cheech does this all the time. He just seems to have a sense for the game that a lot of other analysts don't. Sure, he's a homer. All color guys are, IMHO. But I think he's very good at what he does and is a huge upgrade over Tom "football" Larscheid.

Archived