The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinions on Mike Gillis

Bren Mo

1) one of his main strengths is understanding the salary cap. He does a very good job at this actually and we have seen it in guys sitting on the IR maybe a tad longer than they could have as well as his convincing players to stay for a.little less $ (in exchange for ntcs, by making it more.comfortable for our players with the little things, and stuff like that)

2) he is patient to a fault. It worked when he kept av around and didnt.dismantle the team when he first came on board. That being said he doesnt act quickly on things either and they tend to get.drawn out over long periods of time.

3) i dont think he likes risk. He would rather do nothing than take a chance

4) he prefers balance than a combination of.elite players and lower tier players. He would.rather roll 4 lines of.guys who are all 2nd-3rd liners than have a true first line and true 4th line. On d he wants 4-5 top 2nd pairing guys rather than a true elite guy or 2 and a couple weak links

5) he prefers good skating and skill over toughness and determination

6) his trades are based on getting rid of small assetts in exchange for what he hopes will be diamonds in the rough. No blockbusters as.its too much risk

all though i like gillis on many fronts he seems to lack in foresight on some issues. to say nobody saw cap reductions coming is ludicrous these guys have annalists and phd's at there disposal he new the cba was ending and owners weren't happy to go on with signing guys (louie) to extremes as well as handing out NTC to fringe players, i understand ellite players getting NTC but Higgins Garrison or really any of the d-men just handcuffs your abilities to make moves. its great that there has been a huge focus on player development since he's been here and he generally goes with the scouting consensus and not off the board (nonis) when drafting. his biggest failure in my opinion was to not recognize earlier that louie was not movable and trading Cory was the best and most productive option for both lou and the team long term (foresight). i still think he's been a solid GM and would take him over 90% of the current Gm's.

all though i like gillis on many fronts he seems to lack in foresight on some issues. to say nobody saw cap reductions coming is ludicrous these guys have annalists and phd's at there disposal he new the cba was ending and owners weren't happy to go on with signing guys (louie) to extremes as well as handing out NTC to fringe players, i understand ellite players getting NTC but Higgins Garrison or really any of the d-men just handcuffs your abilities to make moves. its great that there has been a huge focus on player development since he's been here and he generally goes with the scouting consensus and not off the board (nonis) when drafting. his biggest failure in my opinion was to not recognize earlier that louie was not movable and trading Cory was the best and most productive option for both lou and the team long term (foresight). i still think he's been a solid GM and would take him over 90% of the current Gm's.

As.far as.the ntcs to those kinds of players goes, i think mg looks at things in terms of saving.$ and avoiding risk. Handing out a ntc to chris higgins if mg thinks it.will save him a bit of $ towards the cap=great success in his eyes. Chris higgins.is a fairly consistent player too = less risk=another great success

I wouldn't even know where to begin in my critique of one Mr. Mike Gillis. It would be several pages long and wouldn't be very kind. However, Ive been in these boards long enough to know that any topic that contains negative comments about our GM will get locked so I won't waste my breath.

But for starters what happened to the Detroit Model that we were suppose to follow? What happened to players development the last several years? What happened to our highly skilled puck possession team? We get within one game of the stanley cup with a highly skilled puck possession team that was decimated with injuries and we decide to tear it apart because we weren't big or tough enough? I don't see Chicago or Detroit changing course like we have. The crap about teams changing their style of defense is plain non sense. I don't see Chicago having too much problem with scoring, have they changed their style too?

and....yes I can go on and on but whats the point.

I hate listening to him talk, always beating around the bush never giving a straight answer. He's good at finding talent for cheap though like Lack, Richardson, Santorelli, if that Fox guy can bring his 50 goals over the NHL Gillis will be seen as a god)

He has done a great job at picking up undrafted players. Better than any other GM in our history. Unfortunatly he was strapped with the salary cap this year and the Booth injury did not help the situation. Has he signed good players? Yes. Has he made a few mistakes? Yes. I'll give him 2 more years, if things stay the same, "off with his head"!

I hate listening to him talk, always beating around the bush never giving a straight answer.

I find it hilarious that CDC finds this to be a "fault".

That's his job CDC.

A pleasant, cordial GM who tells you exactly who he's shopping, looking to trade for, which players he's having issues with, have asked for a trade etc would be lucky to keep his job a week. Expecting ANY GM to not lie through his teeth to the media/fans is like asking you to stop breathing. You can't do it if you want to live.

Archived