The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

If indeed the owners did get involved then yes, very troubling. But the bottom line is that we as fans don't truly know what went down. Maybe the offers weren't good enough for kesler, in managements opinion; if that is the case, I am happy he is still a Canuck.

We have to remember it is the media's 'job' to fill airtime and make stories, sometimes out of thin air. Looking at it objectively I see that there is an equal chance that either the owners did veto the trade, the deals weren't up to management's standards, or it was someone out of Pittsburgh blowing smoke to try to get Gillis to bite on the Sutter deal (which I am happy did not go through)

Either one is possible in my opinion. We, and the media for the most part, can only speculate.

GILLIS ON NOW: Long term vision...our team has under performed, you get more calls then with all kinds of different ideas being explored. Cautious (don't want to be exploited in that). We didn't get anything that would "build" the team up as a result of those calls.

Won't talk about specific players...they won't trust us if we do.

Busy right to the end...listening to and evaluating proposals.

Remain neutral because there isn't anything there worth doing.

We had an idea of what we'd like in return...different things come in and you have to sift through them. All kinds of stuff thrown at them.

More than 3 or 4 (proposals)? Oh yeah...

this team has terrible ownership.

don't trade kes great, but aleast try to help this team of third liners with a goal scorer then we could have one on this team.

gillis taking the heat but none of this comes from him its all over his pay grade cr-ppy owners. just like the hiring of torts.

Maybe Seattle will buy and move the team.

If the rumors of owners/management group stopping the Kes trade I have to say this shows how little faith they have on Gillis ability to do his job and he should be fired!

I don't interpret it like that at all...I think it's more they're not respecting his position as they've hired him and that speaks more about them than him. Creates conflict and you HAVE to allow people to do their jobs...or why have them at all? To be PR guys I guess. To pin all the bad decisions and lack of moves on him and let him take the heat and answer for them (as he was just forced to do). Someone to throw out in the line of fire when you're really calling the shots and controlling things. Cowardly really. But I have no idea and could be so far off the mark...just what's swirling around.

3 Thoughts

1) Aquaman is greedy and hope that the rest of the season is filled with empty seats and a missed playoffs

2) MG is not the man for this job. Either other GMs dont like dealing with him or seems to only want to send him scraps (Pouliot still wasn't included in final deal)

3) Calgary ownership wanted to make the playoffs, looks like Van ownership wants that as well

I for one am happy that we got something for Lu! I am also happy that Kesler is still a Canuck! He is one of the guys that can really put the team on his back and carry us, its proven. Why would we part with a player like that , that does it all???? Get him some young forwards to play with and lets go.......probably wait til next year. Kass will be a year older and experienced bring some prospects in.

kesler really needs a puck distributor on his line.....because his problem is is that he is great face off man but a lousy distributor. Has great control and a better shot, and good IQ.

I wanted to see young scoring and picks to help turn the corner, but if the right deals weren't there I'm just fine with waiting. There's still the summer (draft deals and UFAs) and I find it hilarious how unrealistic some people are about what has (or hasn't) happened the last couple years.

One deal where ownership appears to have taken a stand does not mean they've been meddling in every deal. Some trades that didn't work or trades that didn't happen when you wanted them to under Gillis does not make him incompetent either.

It'd be great if everything worked perfectly for us and there wasn't reason to believe a perception that the NHL/Eastern media/refs/etc. are against us. Things don't always work out the way you want them to, and they could easily be worse.

Agree totally... You don't just throw the family silver at the first available person who comes along. If Kesler was going the return had to be more than a bag of pucks. If no one is willing to pay he remains a canuck. I don't have a problem with the heart beat of this team staying. Imagine if MG had traded him for some average crape, would that have made it better? Realistic this season is over bar the fat lady singing, so lets get a high pick and take it from there...

I think the ownership stepped in and stopped the Kesler deal because they didnt want to see Gillis tear this team apart any worse then he already has. The ownership wants a cup here, and maybe they have finally realized Gillis is not the man for the job.

It feels weird as a fan cheering for the Canucks to miss the playoffs. I can't see how the playoffs are still a legit goal (maybe its not) for management. I was hoping for some big changes today, but hopefully those will come at the draft and we can get the rebuild going.

I think the ownership stepped in and stopped the Kesler deal because they didnt want to see Gillis tear this team apart any worse then he already has. The ownership wants a cup our $$$$$ here, and maybe they have finally realized Gillis is not the man for the job.

Fixed.

I don't blame the Aquilini's for stepping in and overruling Gillis. They're probably sick of all of his failed trades.

the they should f ing man up and fire him instead of hiding (like cowardly b-tc-es) making it look like there are gillis fault.

not saying Gillis doesn't share in the failings but if you hire a guy to do a job and have no faith in him you FIRE HIM not second guess everything he does from behind the scenes hiding.

gutless coward, how's your coaching choice working out for you Aqualini.

Archived