The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

Gillis talking about the push for the playoffs this year with a straight face...even I laughed at that. This team is going nowhere this year with a lack of scoring, a disgruntled player who wants out and key injuries. What pisses me off is most people have accepted the rebuild status and seem to welcome it to avoid a longer term pain. I'm starting to get more worried that ownership wants to keep putting a band-aid on this and this team will begin to suffer the same fate as the Leafs and Flames.

Hey Calgary, just giving Diaz a hug goodbye, meet you in the prospectless basement.

Honestly not so much pissed Kesler didn't happen but more that absolutely nothing happened future wise outside of the Lu trade. If we're going rebuild/retool set us up to fail a bit. Get rid of a player of importance, gain a future asset and climb up in draft position.

I have no doubt we'll still get decent value for some of these guys when we revisit this later. That being said, we weren't going to compete this year. Hanging on to our full roster may keep us 3 points out of a playoff spot and drafting mid range. The difference could have been a Dal Colle over Ho Sang.

couldn't the team at least call up Jensen so we have some kind of change? please. we really have nothing to be excited about as fans.

They addressed this...said he's had a very solid month or so and they want to keep that ball rolling....don't want to jeopardize it and want to allow that flow to continue. Are fearful that it could disrupt that and want him to build on that confidence/success. That he'll "be ready" soon, but to allow this development to continue.

I tend to agree. Let him tear it up and do well...gather some momentum.

Gillis talking about the push for the playoffs this year with a straight face...even I laughed at that. This team is going nowhere this year with a lack of scoring, a disgruntled player who wants out and key injuries. What pisses me off is most people have accepted the rebuild status and seem to welcome it to avoid a longer term pain. I'm starting to get more worried that ownership wants to keep putting a band-aid on this and this team will begin to suffer the same fate as the Leafs and Flames.

Real change will only come when the fans vote with their dollars.

I don't blame the Aquilini's for stepping in and overruling Gillis. They're probably sick of all of his failed trades.

Which would make him just as deranged for keeping a MG around if he feels that way.

They addressed this...said he's had a very solid month or so and they want to keep that ball rolling....don't want to jeopardize it and want to allow that flow to continue. Are fearful that it could disrupt that and want him to build on that confidence/success. That he'll "be ready" soon, but to allow this development to continue.

I tend to agree. Let him tear it up and do well...gather some momentum.

It's actually refreshing to see the club resist the urge to bring up players too early and hamper their development.

My belief is that Gillis was about to make a bad trade again, with Sutter part of that package and the ownership put a stop to it because they finally realized that Gillis sucks as a GM and he'll get fired soon. That's my guess and hope. Mike Gillis has had his turn and he has failed miserably as a GM. We need someone who can make moves and not lose every trade he makes.

Deflating day for me personally. I am a huge Kesler fan but I prepared myself to see him go today. There is a very, very,(very, very) small chance that we could win the cup with our current roster this year. So holding on to Kes just means a worse draft pick this year. I would have been satisfied if Edler was traded instead of Kesler as well. Just something to gain some solid prospects and create a better chance on a high draft pick. Seems like the rest of the season the Canucks will be stuck in mediocrity

gillis doesn't know what hes doing..

by trading lu, he essentially said he was giving up on this terrible year and going the rebuild route.

its become obvious to everyone and their mothers this team is in dire need of a shakeup..

yet, Gillis could not pull anything off at a time where sellers usually get maximum value.

looks like he hasn't learned his lesson from the Schneider/luo debacle.

Luongo lost his starter role to Lack this year..same as he lost it to Schneider last year..Lacks emergence as a quality goalie changed the goalie landscape.

Sounds to me like other teams were trying to fleece Gillis..You can't pull something off that does not exist..Did you really want to see Brett Sutter in. Canucks uniform?

So you think that MG was just about to give Kesler away for a lousy return and the owner stepped in to save Gillis from himself..?

No I dont think this, I think they stopped the deal because they saw the return was not enough, and did not want this team to be completley torn apart and devistated. Gillis has stated "the ownership had no involment in this decision". IF that is true the Gillis needs to go.

My belief is that Gillis was about to make a bad trade again, with Sutter part of that package and the ownership put a stop to it because they finally realized that Gillis sucks as a GM and he'll get fired soon. That's my guess and hope. Mike Gillis has had his turn and he has failed miserably as a GM. We need someone who can make moves and not lose every trade he makes.

I was thinking that too.

Usually monetary reasons seem like the only time an owner would step in, but this definitely wasn't a case of that.

Aquilini doesn't want him messing around anymore and Gillis is gone at season's end.

Archived