The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom/Lack

Kes4MVP

I know goalie talk has just started to die down here in Vancouver, but it will be interesting how Gillis and Torts will handle two promising young goaltenders. As of right now Lack has been Vancouver's number one goalie and Torts' go to guy on pushing for the playoffs. However, every time Torts is asked about Markstrom his reply is simply "he's not ready.". Well, what happens when Markstrom is "ready"? Which he will be "ready" in the near future. Markstrom's contract goes through the end of the 2016 NHL season, being a restricted free agent will his contract be extended, and will he be the number one goalie in Vancouver? Markstrom is a bigger goaltender and is 2 years younger than Lack, I believe he has far more potential than Lack and will be making a push for a starting job this upcoming season. I doubt Gillis will not re-sign Markstrom, as I do not believe he traded Luongo for just Shawn Mathias. Gillis definitely sees the potential in Markstrom and if he were to sign an extension and be Vancouver's number one goalie, will we see Lack leaving Vancouver in a trade, or at the end of the 2017 NHL season? Unless he is willing to be the back-up once again. In my opinion Lack will be a back-up again next season to a 25 year old Markstrom until Lack's contract ends or he is traded, and Vancouver will again have another number one goalie in Markstrom for 8-10 years, sound familiar? With the hopes of making another cup run within the next 4 years with Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian, Mathias, Fox, Corrado, Markstrom/Lack and perhaps with some of the core guys today, as in the Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows, Hamhuis, Garrison, Kesler(?), and Edler(?).

I would love to hear your thoughts about Markstrom, Lack and any other possible future changes, so please comment/reply to this thread.

Your wording sounds like your Scott Rentool. Lol random thought. Do you think markstrom is our future #1 or Lack?

Probably best we keep the goalie chat to a minimum though. I think we all need at least another season before we start up on that.

We got some great prospects and I'm ready for some exciting youthful hockey! Go Canucks go!!

I think this move was made because of the success young goal tending duo's have seemed to have over solid #1 vets.

Chicago

Toronto

Philly

Columbus

Canucks were tired of Luongo and decided to try and groom another goalie prospect for a top 10 pick,

I would love to hear your thoughts about Markstrom, Lack and any other possible future changes, so please comment/reply to this thread.

In my opinion, they will form a natural rivalry that two young goalies have often formed. Both supporting but yet competing with one another. I say its a pretty darn good situation to be in for the hockey team. Two promising young goalies on dirt cheap contracts. :towel:

It would be nice to see Markstrom get a start or two. It'll most likely only happen if we are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs.

The battle in net next year will be interesting though. I'm hoping that Lack ends up getting around 60 games and Markstrom gets the rest. I'd actually find it very funny if there is another goalie controversy in Vancouver again. Hopefully us fans and the media would handle it much better than the last time.

Torts already killing Markstrom as goalie

I'd like to see marks in net and not sure why they aren't letting him play a game. I don't buy the playoff push theory, they are done. It could be that they are working with him and the goaltending coaches want some time to work on him? Or they could be concerned with marks stepping in and playing a great game and starting another goalie controversy, possibly they want to just let lack run with this year to avoid any possibility?

I'd like to see marks in net and not sure why they aren't letting him play a game. I don't buy the playoff push theory, they are done. It could be that they are working with him and the goaltending coaches want some time to work on him? Or they could be concerned with marks stepping in and playing a great game and starting another goalie controversy, possibly they want to just let lack run with this year to avoid any possibility?

this sounds like the most likely scenario

He'll likely get his first game once/if the Canucks are mathematically eliminated. Until then they riding the guy they have as "known quantity".

That does not equate to a "controversy" or "Torts ruining him" or any other ridiculous melodrama CDC or the tabloid sports journalism attempts to sell you on.

I would like JS Giggy signed on the offseason as a backup and mentor for these guys. His commitment and compete are un paralleled. He hoisted a team that had no business being in the playoffs onto his back and carried them to a cup. He knows what it takes and still has a lil left in the tank if we needed to call upon him.

The funny part about this all. Is in my NHL 14 Be a GM mode. Schneider ended up in NJ, Loungo in FLA, and Markstrom helped me win a cup in Vancouver over Toronto of all teams. This was before the Schneider trade. kinda funny how things worked out.

I wish all the goalies the best. I love the fun loving approach Lack takes towards the game. Having that will definitely help him endure the criticism any #1 goalie will have in our market.

Archived