The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

So early reports say the Jays will have a budget around 140 million next year. Thats only 3 million more than this year. Really thought with the recent success they'd bump it to at least 150 million. Although at 140 that's the 10th most in MLB so it could be worse. However I don't know if Price fits into this budget I think a Rotation around Stroman, Samardzija, Kazmir, Dickey, and Hutchison could be good. Then spend the rest to upgrade that pen! Get a KC calibre pen!

If they do decide to go the cheapo route they'll obviously see their profits shrink relative to the 2nd half of this season. Anyone can say what they will about bandwagon fans but when times are good they (and hardcore fans) will happily shell out $$$ for tickets and merchandise. 

It just doesn't make sense to me why they would backtrack so soon after what just happened, especially after the insane playoff/success drought post '93.

Shapiro scares me..I can imagine what the players are thinking.

Cleveland fans roped Shapiro in the downfall of Indians.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/cleveland-writer-fans-roped-shapiro-in-with-the-downfall-of-indians/

“(Shapiro) became the general manager in 2001, and really his first move was trading away Roberto Alomar,” Meisel said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “That pretty much signalled the end to the Indians’ great era from the mid-90s on. They won six division titles in seven years, they made the World Series twice, and then (Shapiro) took over and he said ‘Hey, we have new ownership, we have new restrictions with payroll, we’re going to have to rebuild, we have no farm system.’ And it wasn’t like this transition that was smooth, and the Indians still competed for a while, it was immediate, and the Indians, they went south pretty quickly.”

“He ended up trading Bartolo Colon, which was a great deal in getting Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips and Cliff Lee. But since then, the Indians won the division once and they made the wild card game once, and I think fans kind of roped Shapiro in with the downfall of that great era, and a long period where the Indians were really mediocre for about 15 years now.”

It’s important to note that Shapiro’s situation in Cleveland differs greatly from what he will inherit in Toronto. According to Spotrac, the Indians had the fourth-lowest payroll in MLB in 2015 and were second last in total attendance at 1,388,905 (or 17,806 per home game). The Blue Jays ranked 10th and eighth, respectively, in those categories in 2015.

I can only criticize from an armchair, but the only deal I didn't like at the time was the Syndergaard for RA move. Yes, RA had a great 2nd half, but man, you give up a good young man for someone with max 2 years left in their career. 

I think it's fair to question that deal.  Dickey is the kind of guy who either kills it or gets killed.  I think you want more consistency if you're moving a piece like that, and watching Syn tonight - it hurts lol.

But regarding the Jays pulling out and backtracking on AA's moves, I really don't think they have any choice.  They need to remain all-in.  They need to do whatever they can to bring back the assets they spent so heavily to acquire.   There is no point second-guessing Anthopolous or what he gave up for those pieces.  It's done - and if his bosses were questioning his motives, I think they've missed the more fundamental point.

We're talking about a franchise that had decades of failures - they needed that jump start - and moreover, with guys like Bautista and EE along for that long ride, I think the franchise owed it to guys like that on some level to make a run at it while they still have good years in them.

What they spent on Price - you need to retain him now - or at the very least put a 100% effort in.  Even if the franchise elects in the end that they can't keep him moving forward, or can't 'afford' him, they need to bring him back (Price willing of course) have another run, and if things don't work out, recover some assets for him.

Likewise with Estrada - vital that they do everything they can to bring him back.  Failing those two - they piss away a great deal of the momentum they built, in more ways than one.  The team almost started building an identity.  Really, AA was only a few roster tweaks (and perhaps an injury or two less) away from potentially taking out KC. and almost did so without those.

Anyhow, I think they need to move quick to restore the faith in the fanbase that they intend to contend moving forward.

I know right? I went to a playoff game (G2) and a game in August and the atmosphere was incredible. I've never been to such an exciting event before, and that includes a Bruins @ Habs playoff game. I will not support Rogers at all if they just cash it in and call it a day. That's heartbreaking to every fan. What do we do at that point? Pray MTL gets a team I guess. 

I agree GB, that's why it'll be heartbreaking if they just destroy it all. I wouldnt be able to watch baseball anymore seeing all of my teams star players on the other team. 

Bruh, I flew out from Vancouver and caught the Texas series, all 3 games. A few family members and friends tagged along as well. Would've stayed for the KC series but had to leave for school reasons.

You won't believe how many Canadians flew out for them. On the plane, people from Winnipeg, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, ..just all over... and the Blue Jays actually had tickets saved for people flying in from outside of Ontario. 

...I mean to sum it all up: you rebuild to assemble a team that will be full of all the necessary tools to compete for the WS. Well the Jays have that right now. Why on Earth would they dismantle now, only to rebuild and hope they get where they are, right now? Mind boggling.

I still can't shake the feeling that the Jays are going to enter the season with a righty laden starting rotation of Stroman, Dickey, Sanchez, Osuna, and Hutchinson and a bullpen that has Brett Cecil as its closer.  They'll still have the best offense in baseball, but the Jays will finish a distant 3rd in the AL East as Shapiro decides to "develop" the exciting young arms.

With Rogers setting a cap of 140M, the Jays will have roughly 30M to spend on free agents, after all the arbitrations and options. 

That almost guarantees the Jays won't be re-signing Price, unless he signs for under 20M per year, while is a possibility. It really comes down to how badly does he want to win. 

Edited by shiznak

With Rogers setting a cap of 140M, the Jays will have roughly 30M to spend on free agents, after all the arbitrations and options. 

That almost guarantees the Jays won't be re-signing Price, unless he signs for under 20M per year, while is a possibility. It really comes down to how badly does he want to win. 

30 million would be better spent on three good arms instead of one great arm I feel. You could get one of Samardzija or Gallardo, Kazmir (only other decent lefty starter) and a good bullpen arm all under 30 million or you could just have Price (on a crippling 7 year contract).

Anyone see what Noah Syndergaard did?

He threw at Alcides' head on the first pitch of the game 3 and made him eat dirt. Then after the game he talked some sh*t

If the Jays don't win a ws with Dickey, that deal is just gonna look soooo bad. Syndergaard is a freaking stud. Fack. 

Bruh, I flew out from Vancouver and caught the Texas series, all 3 games. A few family members and friends tagged along as well. Would've stayed for the KC series but had to leave for school reasons.

You won't believe how many Canadians flew out for them. On the plane, people from Winnipeg, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, ..just all over... and the Blue Jays actually had tickets saved for people flying in from outside of Ontario. 

...I mean to sum it all up: you rebuild to assemble a team that will be full of all the necessary tools to compete for the WS. Well the Jays have that right now. Why on Earth would they dismantle now, only to rebuild and hope they get where they are, right now? Mind boggling.

It's because Rogers is cheap. I don't even think they want to compete. With the NYY the way they are, the time is now for us. Mark my words. If we lose Price, he will be going to NYY or BOS. Guaranteed. 

That's pretty cool how many fans outside of Ontario the team has. I find that truly amazing. I live in Toronto so I will probably never see a road game for the Blue Jays, which is where most of the real fans are. I love seeing you guys on TV, you the real MVP. I actually go to a Canucks @ Sabres game every year lol.

Edited by Xbox

Anyone see what Noah Syndergaard did?

He threw at Alcides' head on the first pitch of the game 3 and made him eat dirt. Then after the game he talked some sh*t

If the Jays don't win a ws with Dickey, that deal is just gonna look soooo bad. Syndergaard is a freaking stud. Fack. 

Mets are not going to win the series. Don't worry.

Relax, all the Jays need to do is trade one bat for a top one/two pitcher, and sign a long inning relief preferably lefty. All good for next year.

That gives the genius Shapiro a full year to work the rest of his magic.

It isn't that easy.  No MLB is going to trade a bonafide top 1-2 pitcher for a bat...well maybe Donaldson.  EE, JB, Tulo?  All have to approve trades but even if they did aren't going to bring in a 200 IP/20 win type pitcher.

Have to wonder what the impact of AA leaving will have on the willingness of Price, Estrada to re-sign.

Also have to wonder what exactly made a bad fit for him moving forward.

If it's a design to turn the Jays into Cleveland north, can you blame the guy for moving on?

Have to wonder what the impact of AA leaving will have on the willingness of Price, Estrada to re-sign.

Also have to wonder what exactly made a bad fit for him moving forward.

If it's a design to turn the Jays into Cleveland north, can you blame the guy for moving on?

75% of me goes with Cleveland North, the other 25% goes with AA wanted a little bit of a break for his family and himself.

With Rogers coming out and being firm on the $140 mil total perhaps AA saw the writing on the wall and seeing losing everything he has made crash to the ground in a year when EE and JB need to be reupped and JD's expenses spiraling up.  140mil won't cut it for this team in 2017.  It barely cuts it for 2016.

Price and Estrada better be back (or adequate replacements back for them) because this team has a one year window.  Money could very easily extend this window but I don't think Rogers will allow it.

Edited by Wilbur

Also what I don't think people are taking into account here is that some teams have internal budgets we can see that Cleveland was bottom 5 in Salary with 77.5 million where the Jays budget was 134 million and is an estimated 140 million for next year. It still gives us money to spend but Shapiro will have to be crafty. Don't expect him to spend all of that on Price and roll with cheap youth arms to fill the rest of the rotation. I believe he'll spread the money.