The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder

William_Clarkson

just another offensively skilled player whose confidence and creativity were killed by being forced into the mold of a "two-way player" before getting even a sniff at the nhl level.

i believe the canucks development philosophy is the biggest reason why their draft picks fail and they have no offense. they should let their offensive prospects get a foothold at the nhl level by playing to their skill set, allowing them to build their confidence and believe they're actually nhl players BEFORE asking them to change their game and adding in the responsibility of solid defensive awareness.

just another offensively skilled player whose confidence and creativity were killed by being forced into the mold of a "two-way player" before getting even a sniff at the nhl level.

i believe the canucks development philosophy is the biggest reason why their draft picks fail and they have no offense. they should let their offensive prospects get a foothold at the nhl level by playing to their skill set, allowing them to build their confidence and believe they're actually nhl players BEFORE asking them to change their game and adding in the responsibility of solid defensive awareness.

AGREEEEEEED TAS.

if we drafted patrick kane, he would be a dud. I'm all for 2 way play. thats my style. but you have to have that pure goal scorer on your ream if you want to win games. the best defence is a good offense.

tas;

You might have a point but Schroeder was drafted onto a team that was a CUP contender. He had to fit into that and could not. Top that off with Gillis thinking 'run & gun' at his draft and then realizing the NHL was sticking with the 'banger' approach. Physicality weighs heavily going forward and players like Schroeder will have a tough time. St. Louis stands out because he is such an exception. One could also argue that his time has passed. Players like St. Louis just don't make it anymore. I think of Marchand and Gallagher.

I consider Schroeder a long shot and a luxury the Canucks cannot afford.

His age is still to his advantage. The incoming coach and a new GM might combine to find a development path that works for him. I do like Schroeder's drive. It is not for lack of effort that this kid is where he is. It will be to his advantage is Kesler is moved as it will signal at least a partial rebuild which will give him more time to mature as a player.

tas;

You might have a point but Schroeder was drafted onto a team that was a CUP contender. He had to fit into that and could not. Top that off with Gillis thinking 'run & gun' at his draft and then realizing the NHL was sticking with the 'banger' approach. Physicality weighs heavily going forward and players like Schroeder will have a tough time. St. Louis stands out because he is such an exception. One could also argue that his time has passed. Players like St. Louis just don't make it anymore. I think of Marchand and Gallagher.

I consider Schroeder a long shot and a luxury the Canucks cannot afford.

His age is still to his advantage. The incoming coach and a new GM might combine to find a development path that works for him. I do like Schroeder's drive. It is not for lack of effort that this kid is where he is. It will be to his advantage is Kesler is moved as it will signal at least a partial rebuild which will give him more time to mature as a player.

ya boody the difference between marchand/Gallagher and Schroeder is that marchand/Gallagher are small players that play a big game. very fearless. Schroeder on the other hand is a small player that likes the small game. not many players have success at that anymore.

I'm really hoping the days of players here being "given" anything are now over.

And since when, in the last 8 years, has a prospect been "given" anything? We've been rolling with the exact same core group since 2006 almost.

Maybe the team should actually USE a prospect in a role they will succeed? It's not like Vancouver has been an elite team the last 3 seasons...

ya boody the difference between marchand/Gallagher and Schroeder is that marchand/Gallagher are small players that play a big game. very fearless. Schroeder on the other hand is a small player that likes the small game. not many players have success at that anymore.

Agreed. Another thing of note is that they play in the East.

I Disagree that Schroeder plays a small players game. I am not saying that I think he has a place on this team (Although I would like to see him given at least another year before we give up on him), however one of the things that have always been said about him is he plays bigger then his size. He was the strongest in his draft year at the combine and all the scouts said he had amazing upper body strength for his size. I think it's his confidence more then anything that has taken a huge hit. Being misused and injured over the past couple seasons has really slowed his development in my opinion.

Also agree with Tas in that our player development has been our worst enemy for a long time now. Both at the AHL and NHL level. A lot of times we look back on players we drafted and talk about busts, but I think personally that some of the "busts" we drafted weren't busts until after going through our system. With Utica now and Benning and Linden, hopefully we can turn tht around...

He had some bad injuries last year and it was really a lost season. He didn't look good at all when he came back from them. Last year he had 33 points in 42 AHL games and 9 in 31 NHL games. He was on the right track and got derailed this year.

I feel both management and player may want to move in separate direction, but I would sign him to a 1-year, 2-way contract for the minimum (whatever that is), and let him compete for a job, but likely end-up centering one of the top two lines in Utica. I could see him and Shinkaruk having some nice chemistry in the AHL.

Kids had a tough go but he is an NHLer in my mind. He's got what it takes to play the game at this level and he can hang. Problem is we had a serious contender under Vigneault so he wasn't stealing any roster spots and wasn't really ready then. Them we went for torts who cut the roster down to 3 lines made up of the best forecheckers on the team. The 4th line was miscast skill players and Sestito lol.

We need a real offensive minded coach to come in and maximize our young players talents. Remember when we started that season with Kassian on the top line? Kid hit the ground running after being used as a grinder in buffalo. We said Zack, your not a grinder, go do what you did in junior and he did great.

I say we start the year with Schroeder on the second line. Kids got more skill than most of our freakin team, play him with skilled players and he just might start popping up 50+ points. If your just gonna play him with Sestito then yeah he's obviously going to bust. Either put him on keslers wing and see what happens or trade him to someone who won't waste away his career.

He's a peacock captain, you gotta let him fly.

Don't think the Canucks have space for him, still think he becomes a solid player.

In 12-13 he had almost as much of an impact on the team as Kassian(both had injuries that year). In 13-14 Kassian had a great year without injuries.

Schroeder, on the other hand was set back by injuries and never really got a chance to play, as Torts stuck him on the 4th line. Schroeder also looked great in the scrimmages before his injury; throwing the body around, and making slick passes.

Even captain Henrik said that Schroeder has shown that he can play in this league...

Just give the kid another year and I'm sure he'll do fine.

Schroeder actually plays a bigger game. Last year, he drove the net a ton. In the scrimmages and a few games this year, he threw his body around quite a bit.

He also got his goals (albeit only a few) in the NHL in the dirty areas.

Ohh you mean like how the oilers treat their prospects? Throw them all into the NHL before they are physically ready and watch them play in a losing environment for several seasons, all the while they develop a poor two way game? Sounds good man, sounds good

Ohh you mean like how the oilers treat their prospects? Throw them all into the NHL before they are physically ready and watch them play in a losing environment for several seasons, all the while they develop a poor two way game? Sounds good man, sounds good

no. not like that at all, actually.

I'm really hoping the days of players here being "given" anything are now over.

agree. You don't give anyone a spot. You give them a contract and they earn it. Any young guys that don't push themselves and earn a spot, too bad.

I don't see Schreoder ever panning out for the Canucks even if he does eventually have a solid career.

People like to compare his to StLouis or maybe Briere or even Ronning, but here's the thing, none of those players starred for the team that drafted them. St Louis did not start scoring until he was 28-29 years old, Briere and Ronning were 26. Briere had one decent (70 point) season in Pheonix before staring in Buffalo and Philly. Of the 3 I could see Schreoder being closer to a Ronning type player.

That would help Minnisota more than the Canucks.

Qualify him, or trade him at the draft to a team in the east, but get something for him. And let this be a lesson, when a bunch of other NHL GM's pass on a player, that might be a red flag not to draft him.

We learned that with Schroeder.

Pittsburgh learned that with Angelo Esposito.

Archived