The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

it's semantics.  We are Canuck's fans and our prospects are just fine.  I would like a top D prospect to go along with Hutton though.

Not really.  If you need to make things up to support your opinion then what you really have is an imagination or fiction.  If you have some tangible support then it becomes a defensible opinion.  

While both get thrown around here like cheap confetti they don't both hold equal weight in a discussion.

all virtanen is going to be is a chris krieder and not a rick nash due to his hockey iq; craig button was right you can see it jakes game, he doesn't make slick passes or get in the right position. todays game hamuis had a rush and guess were jake went? BEHIND HAMUIS! he should of been crashing the net, and again with burrows trying to set him, but he was in the wrong position, look at Mccann skating around the net on Higgins goal- that's hockey iq and jake doesn't have it, most he can become is a Chris Kreider, 40 points? 

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

all virtanen is going to be is a chris krieder and not a rick nash due to his hockey iq; craig button was right you can see it jakes game, he doesn't make slick passes or get in the right position. todays game hamuis had a rush and guess were jake went? BEHIND HAMUIS! he should of been crashing the net, and again with burrows trying to set him, but he was in the wrong position, look at Mccann skating around the net on Higgins goal- that's hockey iq and jake doesn't have it, most he can become is a Chris Kreider, 40 points? 

Kreider is a pretty dang good player Desi. He is good for at least 25 goals 50 points and a lot of hits every year

Edited by Gstank29

Awwww that sucks.  I was really hoping Jake would develop and improve but you've given an iron clad argument for why he'll never ever get any better than he was today in his 11th NHL game.

Now I'm sad.  Thanks a lot!

• Upvote 3

Kreider is a pretty dang good player Desi. He is good for at least 25 goals 50 points and a lot of hits every year

This. Kreider is what everyone should hope Virtanen becomes. He is a phenomenal player that nearly every team in the NHL could use.

Alflives you are the biggest troll on this board.   You mention Nylander and Ehlers more than anybody else here.  You literally have no idea what you are talking about...comparing Nylander to Vey?  You watched one exhibition game and then called Ehlers a BUST?, you haven't even seen Nylander play and you are calling him a bust?    You keep calling them softies yet you have barely watched either of them play although you made up some crap about watching Nylander since he was in the SHL which we all know is a lie.  I'd rather listen to somebody compare other teams prospects to ours instead of listening to some mega homer talk about how much of a phenom Jake Virtanen is.  

Just please stop calling them euro softies, you're a middle aged Alf fan and I remember you talking about how you plant trees and give them names...you don't sound like the manliest of men to me.

Nylander and Vey are very comparable.  They both produce points at the AHL level playing a soft, one way perimiter game. Ehlers is fading away.  He's been hyped by the media, that's all.  He's just like Baerchi.  I accept you fail to see my opinion.  Vey is our Nylander, and Baerchi is our Ehlers.  Two are AHL point producers, and two had hot NHL first appearances, but then faded away. I will point out that I don't care where a player is from.  A softie is a softie no matter their country of origin.  

plus, thank you for middle aged compliment.  

It takes a mix of players to build a successful team. A team will not succeed if it is full of "soft" skilled players. On the other hand if your team has no skill and is full of "hard" players you won't go very far either. 

The young players we have seem to be in a nice ratio of one another. 

Horvat virtanen and Gaunce bring that hard tough to play against game. While mccann beartschi and shinkaruk will aim to fill the net. 

Toronto also has a  nice mix of these guys with gauthier  and nylander among others. Same with Ehlers and wpg  and domi with phoenix.  

On a side note vey will be to nylander like wellwood is to patrick kane. No use comparing the 2 Alf.  Your in over your head here. Maybe it's time to let the grownups take over for a bit.

• Upvote 1

Canuck fans should be excited about how Virtanen is coming along. He looks better every game. Let him play and have another close look in 40 games. He can dominate in a shift. Not many young players can do that.

Agree.  He's looked very good in 2 of the 3 games since he 'made' the team.    Didn't look as good against Pittsburgh but then playing 6 minutes tends to do that.  Probably should have scored on that breakaway (player got his stick on Jake's the instant before he shoots) and was involved in some other nice plays in the first and second.  For a kid barely 19 and a dozen games into his NHL career he is showing a ton of promise so far.  Ya he's not likely to win an Art Ross or anything but he projects to be a very fast, aggressive, goal scoring winger.  How many is the question but I'm excited to see how he looks in 40 games and with consistent ice time and line mates.

Nylander and Vey are very comparable.  They both produce points at the AHL level playing a soft, one way perimiter game. Ehlers is fading away.  He's been hyped by the media, that's all.  He's just like Baerchi.  I accept you fail to see my opinion.  Vey is our Nylander, and Baerchi is our Ehlers.  Two are AHL point producers, and two had hot NHL first appearances, but then faded away. I will point out that I don't care where a player is from.  A softie is a softie no matter their country of origin.  

plus, thank you for middle aged compliment.  

This post shows you just don't know what you are talking about. Vey is not in the same universe as Nylander and the Baer Ehlers comparison is backwards as well. If you have even watched Ehlers he is nothing like Baer, much faster and more explosive with a wicked shot and forechecks hard as well. Be satisfied we have a very good kid in Virtanen and leave the trolling alone..nobody is buying it anymore.

• Upvote 2

This post shows you just don't know what you are talking about. Vey is not in the same universe as Nylander and the Baer Ehlers comparison is backwards as well. If you have even watched Ehlers he is nothing like Baer, much faster and more explosive with a wicked shot and forechecks hard as well. Be satisfied we have a very good kid in Virtanen and leave the trolling alone..nobody is buying it anymore.

how is it trolling on our CANUCK'S board to point out deficiencies in OTHER teams' prospects?  Me thinks you have your definition backwards.;)

Agree.  He's looked very good in 2 of the 3 games since he 'made' the team.    Didn't look as good against Pittsburgh but then playing 6 minutes tends to do that.  Probably should have scored on that breakaway (player got his stick on Jake's the instant before he shoots) and was involved in some other nice plays in the first and second.  For a kid barely 19 and a dozen games into his NHL career he is showing a ton of promise so far.  Ya he's not likely to win an Art Ross or anything but he projects to be a very fast, aggressive, goal scoring winger.  How many is the question but I'm excited to see how he looks in 40 games and with consistent ice time and line mates.

Yeah he's had some good chances. He blew by Franson with ease. He's had at least 3 breakaways or partial breakaways this season by my count (possibly more) . He's looking pretty solid for a young 19 year old. I still can't believe he can skate so fast for such a big strong body.  That combination is like an oxymoron. How can one be big and strong but also one of the fastest skaters? Back when Nintendo came out with the game ice hockey, you could choose a fat player who was big and slow but a hard shot or a skinny guy who was fast but weak and a weak shot. 

Virtanen is like the best of both worlds. Big, strong, hard shot, and fast. 

I'm enjoying watching the youth grow this year and could care less about the final results. I will care in about 2-3 years though. 

Yeah he's had some good chances. He blew by Franson with ease. He's had at least 3 breakaways or partial breakaways this season by my count (possibly more) . He's looking pretty solid for a young 19 year old. I still can't believe he can skate so fast for such a big strong body.  That combination is like an oxymoron. How can one be big and strong but also one of the fastest skaters? Back when Nintendo came out with the game ice hockey, you could choose a fat player who was big and slow but a hard shot or a skinny guy who was fast but weak and a weak shot. 

Virtanen is like the best of both worlds. Big, strong, hard shot, and fast. 

I'm enjoying watching the youth grow this year and could care less about the final results. I will care in about 2-3 years though. 

Haha, me and my buddy used to play that game for hours when we were 8 or  9.

But ya I totally agree on Jake.  He's a work in progress and I'm confident Jake at 21 will look quite a bit more polished than Jake at 19.  Just needs to figure out how to use his unique tools to best use in this league.  I'm happy with his progress so far even though he is still far from polished.  Just hope to see Willie give him some consistent ice time (10-12 minutes is ideal) and line mates (Burrows is a good fit and mentor) to bring his game along.

Haha, me and my buddy used to play that game for hours when we were 8 or  9.

But ya I totally agree on Jake.  He's a work in progress and I'm confident Jake at 21 will look quite a bit more polished than Jake at 19.  Just needs to figure out how to use his unique tools to best use in this league.  I'm happy with his progress so far even though he is still far from polished.  Just hope to see Willie give him some consistent ice time (10-12 minutes is ideal) and line mates (Burrows is a good fit and mentor) to bring his game along.

assist + fight ? = Howe hatty.

Just a disallowed goal away.  Hope his hand's ok though.  Didn't like how he was holding it going off the ice or the fact that he didn't come back to the bench before the intermission.

if he did hurt it, hopefully it was on the other guy's face.