The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think Dorsett could handle Farnham from what I saw..how is Jakes hand havent heard much after the scrap?

I dont think Farnham would have anything to do with Pedan..probably played against him last year and saw him scrap..like what Prust said about farham after the fight...lol...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/11/08/devils-canucks-fight-bobby-farnham-brandon-prust

Yup.  I remember guys said the same about Bieksa - picked his fights carefully.  There comes a time though, when even Bieksa stepped up and fought a guy who was bigger and tougher, like in the Calgary game where he took on that goon on the opening faceoff.   I think our face puncher - Pedan - could entice that Farnham guy to share some real face punches.  I think it would get our boys going too.  Nothing like a good face punching to get the blood going!

Yup.  I remember guys said the same about Bieksa - picked his fights carefully.  There comes a time though, when even Bieksa stepped up and fought a guy who was bigger and tougher, like in the Calgary game where he took on that goon on the opening faceoff.   I think our face puncher - Pedan - could entice that Farnham guy to share some real face punches.  I think it would get our boys going too.  Nothing like a good face punching to get the blood going!

Im not  opposed to a good scrap..its all part of the game to me.

for sure av will never win a cup the guys a amateur  theres a reason he didnt win a cup in 3 different organizations but if you think willie should  get a free pass for playing favorites, having a enemic powerplay and taking stupid penaties you must not wanna win a cup

Except he's not playing favourites (Vey's in the AHL). We also had an above average power play last year (and it's only been 1 month so far this year where we're below average), and we have the 6th highest penalty kill. This, combined with having a less skilled team than AV....

Free pass? The pass is deserved by him. But keep calling him an amateur. You must have far more credentials to think you know more than him.

Except he's not playing favourites (Vey's in the AHL). We also had an above average power play last year (and it's only been 1 month so far this year where we're below average), and we have the 6th highest penalty kill. This, combined with having a less skilled team than AV....

Free pass? The pass is deserved by him. But keep calling him an amateur. You must have far more credentials to think you know more than him.

i do thanks :)

I'm alright with Virtanen going out there, throwing a hit and skating around by himself but when he costs our team the game, that's unacceptable.

Stupid penalty in the offensive zone 200 feet from his own zone, then he single handedly costs us the game with a stupid turnover that leads to a 2-on-0 (almost 3-on-0). Now WD has him right out on the ice again on our 2nd line.

This kid is getting some rediculous treatment at the moment. If any other player makes these massive mistakes they end up in the AHL. Vey and Shinkaruk never sucked this badly, but Virtanen cost us a 3-1 deficit and WD turns a blind eye?

Unbelievable. Just because he was a high pick and BC boy he gets the royal treatment when realistically and objectively he belongs in junior.

Even the blindest of Virtanen-fan boys can't deny this anymore.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck

I'm alright with Virtanen going out there, throwing a hit and skating around by himself but when he costs our team the game, that's unacceptable.

Stupid penalty in the offensive zone 200 feet from his own zone, then he single handedly costs us the game with a stupid turnover that leads to a 2-on-0 (almost 3-on-0). Now WD has him right out on the ice again on our 2nd line.

This kid is getting some rediculous treatment at the moment. If any other player makes these massive mistakes they end up in the AHL. Vey and Shinkaruk never sucked this badly, but Virtanen cost us a 3-1 deficit and WD turns a blind eye?

Unbelievable. Just because he was a high pick and BC boy he gets the royal treatment when realistically and objectively he belongs in junior.

Even the blindest of Virtanen-fan boys can't deny this anymore.

the centre ice play was actually Batkowski jumping up the wing that caused the issue.  He needed to support JV there.  Perhaps you are somewhat blinded by your bias, and don't see what's truly happening?   

• Upvote 1

the centre ice play was actually Batkowski jumping up the wing that caused the issue.  He needed to support JV there.  Perhaps you are somewhat blinded by your bias, and don't see what's truly happening?   

I'll spell it out for people like you wearing rose-coloured glasses. Horvat passes to center, Virtanen has the puck in the neutral zone moving through. The Toronto player goes for a hip-check and misses Virtanen but steals the puck off him with everyone moving up ice. That is 100% Virtanen, don't be stupid and blame Bartkowski who never had the puck. That's a Virtanen turn over.

Bartkowski shouldn't be responsible for Virtanen to not turn the puck over, that's on the rookie. He messed it up and now that's the difference in the game. Nice try though buddy.

• Upvote 1

I'll spell it out for people like you wearing rose-coloured glasses. Horvat passes to center, Virtanen has the puck in the neutral zone moving through. The Toronto player goes for a hip-check and misses Virtanen but steals the puck off him with everyone moving up ice. That is 100% Virtanen, don't be stupid and blame Bartkowski who never had the puck. That's a Virtanen turn over.

Bartkowski shouldn't be responsible for Virtanen to not turn the puck over, that's on the rookie. He messed it up and now that's the difference in the game. Nice try though buddy.

you can be as insulting as you choose to be.  I don't mind the sarcastic "buddy" comment, or the "stupid" insult.  From my perspective I sense you are frustrated your view is not being heard.  I do hear you, but I disagree.  It's a simple hockey fact, that the D (Bart) in that situation supports the puck carrier. I accept you don't feel JV is a good enough player to be in the league at such a young age.  Canuck's management disagrees with you, as do I.  It's okay to be frustrated.  None of us Canuck's fans relish any of our players doing poorly.  

• Upvote 1

Seriously what's with all your hate for Virtanen? Just cause you believe Virtanen should be in junior doesn't mean you can go around and insulting other fans when he has a bad game just because they don't agree with your views. 

• Upvote 2

you can be as insulting as you choose to be.  I don't mind the sarcastic "buddy" comment, or the "stupid" insult.  From my perspective I sense you are frustrated your view is not being heard.  I do hear you, but I disagree.  It's a simple hockey fact, that the D (Bart) in that situation supports the puck carrier. I accept you don't feel JV is a good enough player to be in the league at such a young age.  Canuck's management disagrees with you, as do I.  It's okay to be frustrated.  None of us Canuck's fans relish any of our players doing poorly.  

I'm only really frustrated with fans who are completely blinded by how bad Virtanen has been for us so far, and they chose to ignore his bad plays but highlight his good ones. This was all Virtanen, just break it down and look at the replay slowly because you know WD will be showing it to the kids after the game.

A simple hockey fact is that the puck carrier shouldn't turn the puck over in the neutral zone. It's not the defenceman's responsibility for the forward to not turn over the puck. Sure, he could have been behind Virtanen to support him but in the final minutes of the game, you want your defence jumping up. Virtanen has to know that and not lose the puck - either do a better job with it or pass it off.

• Upvote 2

Seriously what's with all your hate for Virtanen? Just cause you believe Virtanen should be in junior doesn't mean you can go around and insulting other fans when he has a bad game just because they don't agree with your views. 

I just think it's a tiny bit unfair that Bartkowski gets blamed for Virtanen's turn over, don't you? The kid gets a free ride again. You fans might not see it but hopefully the coaching staff pick up on these things and scratch Virtanen for a game or two. We've got Shinkaruk now, there's no need to waste ice time on Virtanen.

By the way, brilliant dirty hit on Phaneuf there which brings up a range of responses from CDC - most of which applaud him as a big hitter. Phaneuf's head goes straight into the boards, it's the end of the game and a dirty hit but once again, biased Virtanen fans think it's a fantastic hard hit. Phaneuf didn't turn his head into the boards either, it was already there and Virtanen drove him into them. Dirty hit kid, he better watch himself.

I know right, free pass on that Virt turn over, no one was talking about it, as if it never even happened

Exactly, everyone turns a blind eye because Virtanen is our 6th overall BC-born saviour. He cost us the GWG and I'm the only one brave enough to point it out.

Now WD needs to grow a pair and scratch the kid for a few games. There's a kid called Hunter Shinkaruk who is one of the best players in the AHL right now who has done his time, developed properly and can bring far more to the table than Virtanen. It's his time to shine now, lets see what he can do because we've all seen what Virtanen can do and it's not very good (expectedly so from a 19 year old though).

• Upvote 3

I'm only really frustrated with fans who are completely blinded by how bad Virtanen has been for us so far, and they chose to ignore his bad plays but highlight his good ones. This was all Virtanen, just break it down and look at the replay slowly because you know WD will be showing it to the kids after the game.

A simple hockey fact is that the puck carrier shouldn't turn the puck over in the neutral zone. It's not the defenceman's responsibility for the forward to not turn over the puck. Sure, he could have been behind Virtanen to support him but in the final minutes of the game, you want your defence jumping up. Virtanen has to know that and not lose the puck - either do a better job with it or pass it off.

I don't disagree with any of this post, excepting the "how bad Virtanen has been for us so far".  IMO he has not been bad.  IMO he brings a much needed presence to our forward group.  

Our D has been very poor these last few games.  They leave big gaps, when the other team has the puck, and they get too close to our forwards, when we have the puck.  Their spacing in all three zones needs to be improved.  I would think WD will be showing more conceptual video review, rather than individual errors.  

Rookies making mistakes?  What a novel concept.... lol.  Virtanen will be getting a good talking to by the coaching staffs.  He knows he probably was one of the key reason the Canucks lost tonight. 

Sending him back to junior won't make anything better, as most likely he'll just be cutting corners even more.  At least in the NHL, he'll learn that any mistake made can be turned into a goal against and potentially costing the team the game.  Better for him to learn from his mistakes now, when the Canucks have the ability to clean up his mess rather than later on when he'll be thrusted into a position where he's more unprepared for. 

He'll learn and will be better for it.