The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

21 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

I'd love it if Demko, like Marky, can also become a great puck-handling goaltender. It's an underrated trait and really refreshing to see after the days of Luongo and Schneider horribly mishandling it on the regular.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd love it if Demko, like Marky, can also become a great puck-handling goaltender. It's an underrated trait and really refreshing to see after the days of Luongo and Schneider horrible mishandling it on the regular.

lol I remember getting nervous whenever Schneider or Luongo were out of net. Unfortunately, my nerves kept getting reinforced by the mistakes....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I hope everybody is catching the fact that Demko's numbers this year are as good as Binnington's numbers last year....

His numbers are sparkling, and would have been even moreso if our team didn't giftwrap SJ their two goals.

But it is early. I have seen plenty of goalies look great with light duty and then fail as consistent, long-term options. The sample size is still small, but I certainly like what we've seen so far.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

His numbers are sparkling, and would have been even moreso if our team didn't giftwrap SJ their two goals.

But it is early. I have seen plenty of goalies look great with light duty and then fail as consistent, long-term options. The sample size is still small, but I certainly like what we've seen so far.

I like what I've seen from Demko as well. At 23 years of age, he is further along in his development than Markström was at the same age. 

Long term, Demko makes more sense to keep around than Markström does, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Long term, Demko makes more sense to keep around than Markström does, in my opinion. 

I suspect that is what we might see, but there are so many variables besides just their performance. Marky is due for a re-up, then there is the expansion draft, as well as how other teams might value either asset if we were to make a trade. 

Lots of moving parts - but I sure hope Benning doesn't mess it up like Gillis did years ago. (Lets face it - it takes special talent to mess it up THAT bad).

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Lots of moving parts - but I sure hope Benning doesn't mess it up like Gillis did years ago. (Lets face it - it takes special talent to mess it up THAT bad).

Lol, mess it up as in signing Luongo to a cheap contract and trading the backup for our current Captain?   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol, mess it up as in signing Luongo to a cheap contract and trading the backup for our current Captain?   

Seriously?

Bo turned out great for us - but he could have very well turned out to he a bust as well. Gillis was no supreme drafter and Bo was projected to be a high end 3rd liner at best. Schneider was playing at an elite level.

Sure he signed Lou to a cheap contract, but it was that same contract that was said to be "horrible" by both media and Luongo himself. I never thought it was nearly the anchor most others did, but Markstrom had proven nothing at that point. He basically had to take what he could after Luongo was run out of town.

In the end it turned out well for us, but purely by chance and luck. Gillis took our tandem of elite goalies and rolled the dice on returns for both when the odds were strongly against him.

If Markstrom continued his mediocre play and Horvat really was a 3rd liner, would you still be so lippy?

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Seriously?

Bo turned out great for us - but he could have very well turned out to he a bust as well. Gillis was no supreme drafter and Bo was projected to be a high end 3rd liner at best. Schneider was playing at an elite level.

Sure he signed Lou to a cheap contract, but it was that same contract that was said to be "horrible" by both media and Luongo himself. I never thought it was nearly the anchor most others did, but Markstrom had proven nothing at that point. He basically had to take what he could after Luongo was run out of town.

In the end it turned out well for us, but purely by chance and luck. Gillis took our tandem of elite goalies and rolled the dice on returns for both when the odds were strongly against him.

If Markstrom continued his mediocre play and Horvat really was a 3rd liner, would you still be so lippy?

Show me another deal where a backup goalie has gotten a top 10 pick. 

He basically had to take what he could after Luongo was run out of town.  quit on this city

IIRC Markstrom was the highest ranked prospect goalie when he was acquired.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I think it's just Schneider who got that much, right?  Then he went to NJ and crapped out, while we have Bo.  

I think Demko will get traded at the 2020 draft, and recoup our first that is going to Tbay.  

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He was a 1B (arguably a 1A) in tandem with Luo when he was traded. Definitely not a backup. With that said, an elite goalie is generally regarded less valuable than an elite skater in trades.

Markstrom was the #1 ranked goalie prospect before he went pro, but his stock had fallen quite a bit by the time we traded for him.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it's just Schneider who got that much, right?  Then he went to NJ and crapped out, while we have Bo.  

I think Demko will get traded at the 2020 draft, and recoup our first that is going to Tbay.  

12 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

He was a 1B (arguably a 1A) in tandem with Luo when he was traded. Definitely not a backup. With that said, an elite goalie is generally regarded less valuable than an elite skater in trades.

Markstrom was the #1 ranked goalie prospect before he went pro, but his stock had fallen quite a bit by the time we traded for him.

Show me any deals since then where a goalie got a 1st round pick let alone a top 10 pick.  Schneider was the backup, a good one, but still a backup.  Goalies don't garner that much on the trade market now, point is Gillis did pretty good on that deal which is my original point.  Alf I doubt the bolded happens, Thatchy D is the goalie of the future and Marky is just not worth that much.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Show me any deals since then where a goalie got a 1st round pick let alone a top 10 pick.  Schneider was the backup, a good one, but still a backup.  Goalies don't garner that much on the trade market now, point is Gillis did pretty good on that deal which is my original point.  Alf I doubt the bolded happens, Thatchy D is the goalie of the future and Marky is just not worth that much.

Totally agree TM.  Demko (without the coming Seattle expansion) would be our goalie of the future.  However, I see us having two top quality starting goalies, and one of them (obviously Demko) would be selected by Seattle.  So, to guard against that, I think JB will keep them both through this season, sign Marky to an extension after the season, and trade Demko at the 2020 draft.  I would expect a team would give up their first (likely not top 10 though) for a young guy like Demko, who would be their starter for the next 5 to 7 seasons.  

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

To simply say he was a back up and leave it at that does not even come close to telling the full story. I agree with you that it was a solid trade, though.

• Upvote 2