The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Bruins Need A Trade For Cap Space

Lui's Knob

I don't think the Bruins want to move Boychuk. They need all the depth on D they can get if they want to be serious contenders. Losing Seidenberg hurt them a lot last year and Boychuk played quite well while he was out. I think they will want to go with a top 4 of Chara, Seids, Boychuk, Hamilton.

??? He's 29 and been a 20-30 goal scorer 5+ seasons and we're a team that struggles scoring. Tanev is not some untradeable messiah and vastly overrated on cdc.

What other RH shots do we have on defence other than him and Bieksa? Weber? Corrado? Sanguinetti?

Value-wise for us Tanev > Eriksson.

??? He's 29 and been a 20-30 goal scorer 5+ seasons and we're a team that struggles scoring. Tanev is not some untradeable messiah and vastly overrated on cdc.

He's not vastly overrated on CDC. I don't know which Canucks games you were watching last season but Tanev was clearly or most consistent defenceman all year round. Quickly adapted to Torts system and he became a better defensive defenceman because of it. If Tanev stays for awhile, he's a solid option for us in the Top 4 until our D prospects hopefully pan out.

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, McQuaid, Miller, Bartkowski, Krug and then Morrow in the AHL are their defencemen. You'd think one of those guys would be traded along with a heavy contract forward who I assume should be Chris Kelly. That would be enough to get them out of this cap struggle along with signing Reilly Smith and Krug.

We have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, Edler, Stanton, Weber, Sbisa and then Sanguinetti, Corrado in the minors. Do we really have space for any of those defencemen? Well we aren't getting a top 4 defenceman so we're looking at McQuaid/Bartkowski who are bottom-pairing defencemen and we don't have space for them and don't need them either.

Chris Kelly? Our bottom 6 has plenty of depth with Higgins, Matthias, Hansen, Vey, Richardson, Sestito, Dorsett and then Archibald, Lain, Zalewski, Kenins who can all improve their games and get time in the NHL when injuries come. So no not really enough room for Kelly either.

Nothing for us IMO.

A team like Toronto could use a defencemen with only 6 on their roster, Calgary, Edmonton, Dallas, as some teams who could use an extra defenceman.

He's not vastly overrated on CDC. I don't know which Canucks games you were watching last season but Tanev was clearly or most consistent defenceman all year round. Quickly adapted to Torts system and he became a better defensive defenceman because of it. If Tanev stays for awhile, he's a solid option for us in the Top 4 until our D prospects hopefully pan out.

He was consistent but not untouchable, a team with scoring issues like us needs another legit top 6 winger.

Tanev is replaceable for the right piece in return, right now a true top 6 player would be the right piece. However no way Boston trades Eriksson for Tanev straight up.

He had two concussions last season and could never return to his earlier form. For the past two seasons he has been on pace for 50 points, 2nd line production and I'd rather take a top 4 D-Man, who may still improve. Not to mention, last year he was on pace for 13 goals and the lockout he was only on pace for 21, which isn't an overly impressive amount. Also, say Tanev is traded straight up for Eriksson (we can even throw in a pick if it's that big of deal):

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson/Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Eriksson/Vrbata

Higgins-Matthias-Kassian

Vey (on his off wing)-Richardson-Hansen

Edler/Hamhuis (on his offside)

Stanton/Bieksa

Sbisa/Weber

^That's a horrible defensive core.

Not to mention it doesn't make sense for Boston either anyways, since they have a lot of NHL defenseman, but if Eriksson is traded there's a hole in their top 6 (Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Smith, Eriksson).

29 2nd line winger who just had two concussions in one year<A 24 year old Top 4 D-Man who gets injured sometimes from blocking shots.

He had two concussions last season and could never return to his earlier form. For the past two seasons he has been on pace for 50 points, 2nd line production and I'd rather take a top 4 D-Man, who may still improve. Not to mention, last year he was on pace for 13 goals and the lockout he was only on pace for 21, which isn't an overly impressive amount. Also, say Tanev is traded straight up for Eriksson (we can even throw in a pick if it's that big of deal):

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson/Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Eriksson/Vrbata

Higgins-Matthias-Kassian

Vey (on his off wing)-Richardson-Hansen

Edler/Hamhuis (on his offside)

Stanton/Bieksa

Sbisa/Weber

^That's a horrible defensive core.

Not to mention it doesn't make sense for Boston either anyways, since they have a lot of NHL defenseman, but if Eriksson is traded there's a hole in their top 6 (Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Smith, Eriksson).

29 2nd line winger who just had two concussions in one year<A 24 year old Top 4 D-Man who gets injured sometimes from blocking shots.

player for player the deal makes sense and is a good trade off. Never said the deal makes sense for either team however a consistent 20+ goal scorer whose had one rough year with injuries in all reality, for a barely developed but steady defenseman is a fair trade.

The only way i would make this trade is if we could get a serviceable dman in return via FA signing or a deal with another team.

Just stating that as a piece saying Tanev is overpaying for Eriksson is a tad ridiculous and homerism at best.

Archived