The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Milbury says time has come to rid NHL of fighting

freebuddy

The only thing I would like to see is for players to be ejected for fighting - not the slap on the wrist 5 minutes.

Only non fighting based professional sport where that doesn't happen.

and that effectively kills fighting. No non goon player is going to get in a fight if they know they are going to get tossed or suspended.

Fighting needs to exist so players like hammer and nugent-hopkins, Iginla-ohlund, kesler-brown.... can let off the steam without putting a stick in a guys throat.

Where are the stats % of concussions caused by fighting? . I'm going to bet that it is an astronomically low amount of concussions out of the total.

If the Goons of the hockey world have concussion issues its because fighting is ALL they do. They try to get in one a game to justify their presence. The other 3 mins a game they are on the ice they are just trying to throw as many big hits as possible which also contributes.

Regular players like say Iginla should not be stopped from fighting in the heat of the moment to diffuse a situation.

I can guarantee that Iginla has caused waaaaaaaaay more concussions from hits than from fights over his career.. maybe we need to ban hitting.

and that effectively kills fighting. No non goon player is going to get in a fight if they know they are going to get tossed or suspended.

Fighting needs to exist so players like hammer and nugent-hopkins, Iginla-ohlund, kesler-brown.... can let off the steam without putting a stick in a guys throat.

Why? Why should hockey players be treated different from football or any other sport?

If players want to "let off steam" - join UFC.

Yeah yeah "fighting's been in the sport forever" - doesn't make it right.

They hit in football every play - hasn't taken away from that sport.

Oh, and "fighting stops cheap shots" - right...why do cheap shots still exist today?

Like I said - keep it, but make it a game ejection - sure...it will setup fights to happen with only a few minutes to go - but maybe by that time cooler heads will prevail.

I held my breath when Hammer fought...knowing that one more concussion will not only put him out of the game but likely linger, I didn't like it. I saw his last one up close, and he was truly lights out, so I was pretty uneasy watching him fight.

With that, it's hard to take out the spontaneous fights because, well, adrenalin and contact sports - it will happen. But having a goon skate over with a bully staredown any time someone is hit is ridiculous.

We all know the roots of fighting the NFL has. :lol:

As for hitting in that league:

- Can't hit the Quarterback a second or two after he throws it

- Can't hit the Quarterback in an upwards tackling motion (dip and rip)

- Can't hit the Quarterback when he slides feet first

- Can't hit a Quarterback during a fumble/interception

- Wrap up, but don't use "wrestling" wrap-up moves or throw the Quarterback to the ground

- Can't hit above the shoulders

- Can't hit the knees, or for Quarterbacks, below the waist

- Can't lead with the head

- Can't hit a receiver who stupidly jumps into a crowd of opposing defenders for the ball

- Can't hit any offensive player who puts himself in a position to be defenseless

Sure sounds a lot like where the NHL should be going, amirite?

Don't worry, the NFL is turning into touch/flag football, and the NHL is turning into pond hockey. Well before then, I'll quit watching both leagues. This crap about safety in violent sports is ridiculous.

"But removing fights after a big hit, coming to the aid of a rookie or star player at the right time?"

After a clean big hit anyone not involved in the hit should get tossed from the game. If it was a dirty hit then it should be 5 minute major and no instigator. Aiding a rookie or star should depend on just what happened prior to the fight. If the star or rookie deserved it then let them take it.

We all know the roots of fighting the NFL has. :lol:

As for hitting in that league:

- Can't hit the Quarterback a second or two after he throws it

- Can't hit the Quarterback in an upwards tackling motion (dip and rip)

- Can't hit the Quarterback when he slides feet first

- Can't hit a Quarterback during a fumble/interception

- Wrap up, but don't use "wrestling" wrap-up moves or throw the Quarterback to the ground

- Can't hit above the shoulders

- Can't hit the knees, or for Quarterbacks, below the waist

- Can't lead with the head

- Can't hit a receiver who stupidly jumps into a crowd of opposing defenders for the ball

- Can't hit any offensive player who puts himself in a position to be defenseless

Sure sounds a lot like where the NHL should be going, amirite?

Don't worry, the NFL is turning into touch/flag football, and the NHL is turning into pond hockey. Well before then, I'll quit watching both leagues. This crap about safety in violent sports is ridiculous.

I guess you might as well leave and go watch UFC then if you're into "violent sports".

Let's ask ourself a better question. Is it possible to eliminate fighting? I don't think it is. If the league installed a fighting ban with a penalty of permanent ban from the league, there would still be fights! Maybe fewer, but I'd expect a dramatic increase in cheap shots instead.

Let's ask ourself a better question. Is it possible to eliminate fighting? I don't think it is. If the league installed a fighting ban with a penalty of permanent ban from the league, there would still be fights! Maybe fewer, but I'd expect a dramatic increase in cheap shots instead.

Yeah in all seriousness, the staged fitting can go but fighting needs to be in the game to ensure the rats don't run around taking liberties on stars... Sure a guy gets suspended but the look how long it took Daniel to fully recover... If sestito was on the team or Gino they would have fought Keith wether he wanted to or not. We can't eliminate it completely, it needs to be there.

I think you are totally messed up here and so is Dan to a certain extent. It is part of the sport, it serves to stop silly plays due to grievances like taking your stick to a guy or going for his head with your elbow.

In contact sports there are things done in the heat of the moment which in the case of hockey are better sorted out using fists. What does Dan suggest a boxer say to his daughter "don't hit other kids, I hit men because I am a bad person"?

It is up to Dan as a father to explain the difference or if your kid is a boy you are going to screw him up for life.

Hamhuis is the father of three very young girls. He also religious and my guess is that he teaches his girls that hitting someone in anger is wrong. (as I'm sure many of us teach our kids)

As a father of 3 girls myself, I'd bet that he's going to hear about it from his kids and probably his wife as well.

"But removing fights after a big hit, coming to the aid of a rookie or star player at the right time?"

After a clean big hit anyone not involved in the hit should get tossed from the game. If it was a dirty hit then it should be 5 minute major and no instigator. Aiding a rookie or star should depend on just what happened prior to the fight. If the star or rookie deserved it then let them take it.

I'd be okay if they went back to calling the instigator penalty.

How many times have we seen a player level an opponent and then immediately have to defend himself by fighting someone seeking retribution? Start consistently ejecting the revenge seekers and maybe this sort of thing will stop.

To be clear, I don't like the instigator penalty, but if it's going to stay on the books, then they should use it.

Why? Why should hockey players be treated different from football or any other sport?

If players want to "let off steam" - join UFC.

Oh, and "fighting stops cheap shots" - right...why do cheap shots still exist today?

Like I said - keep it, but make it a game ejection - sure...it will setup fights to happen with only a few minutes to go - but maybe by that time cooler heads will prevail.

Because Hockey isn't Football or soccer.. why should they be treated the same???

That argument makes zero sense. Its not the same sport, it doesn't have the same rules you might as well ask why do hockey players get to use sticks.

Cheap shots exist because of the instigator rule.. more attempts to manage fighting has and will continue to make the game less safe.

People do not get injured from fights, serious injuries and concussions from fights are extremely rare, cheapshots not so much.

I held my breath when Hammer fought...knowing that one more concussion will not only put him out of the game but likely linger, I didn't like it. I saw his last one up close, and he was truly lights out, so I was pretty uneasy watching him fight.

With that, it's hard to take out the spontaneous fights because, well, adrenalin and contact sports - it will happen. But having a goon skate over with a bully staredown any time someone is hit is ridiculous.

How many hits did he throw in the game.. did you hold your breath during those because that is how he got his concussions..

Honestly this focus on fighting re concussions is straight up silly and not based on the evidence in front of us.

Its seems strange to me that people are worried about fights after a big hit etc.. Even if that hit was totally clean that big, legal, clean hit is far far far more likely to result in injury or concussion than the following 15 sec wrestling match.

Fighting is not the problem with the game.. staged fights and goons can go because they are boring, predictable and stupid but it isn't dangerous compared to the cheapshots and big hits.

Its seems strange to me that people are worried about fights after a big hit etc.. Even if that hit was totally clean that big, legal, clean hit is far far far more likely to result in injury or concussion than the following 15 sec wrestling match.

Fighting is not the problem with the game.. staged fights and goons can go because they are boring, predictable and stupid but it isn't dangerous compared to the cheapshots and big hits.

Hockey fights pretty much always target the head. Unless its Alex Semin.

Hamhuis is the father of three very young girls. He also religious and my guess is that he teaches his girls that hitting someone in anger is wrong. (as I'm sure many of us teach our kids)

As a father of 3 girls myself, I'd bet that he's going to hear about it from his kids and probably his wife as well.

If a frustrated player doesn't fight then their mind is going to dull and get clouded. Not only will their efficiency drop but they might also start head hunting. Concussions are more likely to result from dirty hits then a fight.

If I had kids I'd tell them that if your angry then you need to find a proper method of venting out that anger because holding it in only makes things worse. On the ice, fighting is pretty much the only way to do that.

Archived