The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is your Sleeper Pick for the Cup

VegasCanuck

Sleeper Picks  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally, I don't think they have enough depth to repeat their run to the finals. I think they need a lot of tweaking to make another run.

Perhaps, but they are in the east, so if they face teams like Philly and Pittsburgh again, they could be right back to the conference finals.

But my point is that when a team goes deep in the playoffs, most people won't consider them a darkhorse. That term is usually used on teams that didn't do as well last year.

Going off the board on this one. Tampa Bay is my sleeper pick for this year. They were in the conversation last year and that was without Steven Stamkos for much of the season.

This year, they have a returning Vezina caliber goaltender, a stud defenseman who looks to be ready for a breakout season and another year of development for young guns, Palat, Johnson, Connolly and Drouin.

They have also added some skill and leadership in the form of Ryan Callahan, solidified the bottom six with Brian Boyle and strengthened the defense with the additions of Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison, who just might once again find his PP form, playing with guys like Hedman and Stammer.

I never would have said this before, but I gots to go with my favourite team, and say the Islanders. After years of rebuilding, their current group is looking solid. It is only a handful of games, but they are fast and young.

While I sure wasn't pleased with giving away all those picks, Snow did realize that he doesn't need McDavid when he already has Tavares. It was crucial that they start to make some noise now. The moves Snow made, while questionable (understandably so because he has made more then a few boneheaded ones), were absolutely needed this year. The Vanek trade was brutal; however, trading McDonald away (who was asking way too much), getting Halak, trading for Boychuk, signing Grabo, Hickey off waivers, and the Leddy trade have all but guaranteed the Isles a playoff spot this year.

Thankfully I have 4 teams I follow. It just sucks when all of them let me down.

Archived